Sony X90H vs Samsung The Frame

adeshagarwal

Hi,

I am planning to buy a new TV in the coming month. My budget is 80-85k for a 55 inch LED. I own a PS5 so a 120 hz panel is a must but HDMI 2.1 is not a compulsion. I was initially sold on X90H since it ticks all the boxes for me. But seems like no retailer is willing to sell for less than 1 lakh at least.
So now I am considering Samsung The Frame as well which after cashback would only cost me 77k (HDFC card). Since there is no way to test the Frame, it would be great if fellow users of the Frame can weigh in and share their feedback.

P.S: If you know a retailer in NCR that can sell X90H for under 90k, a heads up would be appreciated. Also, I am trying to stay away from OLEDs since I mostly play FPS & sports games.

I'd suggest to wait for the new frame. It's already up for preorder in the US and gets major bumps compared to current one. Current 55 inch frame with corporate offer is at 74k,and without it at 77k. New one must come in by mid year but wont see discounts till Diwali. X90h 1 lac is atrocious, want it but can't buy it for that much. That said, x90h Will be definitely marginally better than frame due to fald against dual led qled, and the flagship picture processing from 2020.

That said, x90h Will be definitely marginally better than frame due to fald against dual led qled, and the flagship picture processing from 2020.
X90H/X900H isn't even close to the flagship picture processing from 2020. It uses the X1 processor, which is a major step down from the X1 ultimate in the X950H and the A8H. In fact, that processor is the reason that 4k 120Hz looks blurry on the X900H.

This year's X90J will however have the same processor as the flagship TVs. So the processing issues will be fixed.

X90H/X900H isn't even close to the flagship picture processing from 2020. It uses the X1 processor, which is a major step down from the X1 ultimate in the X950H and the A8H. In fact, that processor is the reason that 4k 120Hz looks blurry on the X900H.

This year's X90J will however have the same processor as the flagship TVs. So the processing issues will be fixed.
Yep, x90j will be darn expensive though I guess..1300usd-1400usd would translate to 1.5l at launch given SONY's bloodsucking pricing

X900h has no x-wide viewing angle in specs. So if you watch at an angle, it is washed out picture and colours. Brightness... let's see... is around 600 candelas which is not good enough for a FALD TV. I remember x950h touching 950 nits. Frame I think over here for value for money.

Yep, x90j will be darn expensive though I guess..1300usd-1400usd would translate to 1.5l at launch given SONY's bloodsucking pricing
It will be priced the exact same as the X900H. This year the price is same as last year over the entire Sony range so it will fall soon to the level we had in 2020.

The MRP will fall soon as even the C1 OLED will be priced the same. No way anyone will buy a basic FALD like X90J over the C1.

X900h has no x-wide viewing angle in specs. So if you watch at an angle, it is washed out picture and colours. Brightness... let's see... is around 600 candelas which is not good enough for a FALD TV. I remember x950h touching 950 nits. Frame I think over here for value for money.
The Frame also doesn't have wide angle filter. Also Frame has even lower brightness than X900H. X900H goes upto 700 nits but Frame only upto 550 nits. Also X900H has FALD while Frame is not.

The Frame also doesn't have wide angle filter.
This will change in 2021, the specs for the 55" 2021 model say wide viewing angle, so maybe Samsung has carried the layer from previous year upper rangers to this one for 2021.

Again for Pricing I am just quoting stop the FOMO saying 55" X90J might start off at 1400USD, so it will be starting off in India probably at higher than 1lac again for sure with the "Loot the Indian buyer" markup from Sony and gradually come near the 1lac level by Diwali or later..Bummer for FALD afficianados

Last edited:
This will change in 2021, the specs for the 55" 2021 model say wide viewing angle, so maybe Samsung has carried the layer from previous year upper rangers to this one for 2021.

Again for Pricing I am just quoting stop the FOMO saying 55" X90J might start off at 1400USD, so it will be starting off in India probably at higher than 1lac again for sure with the "Loot the Indian buyer" markup from Sony and gradually come near the 1lac level by Diwali or later..Bummer for FALD afficianados
If you're looking for >1 lakh in FALD, Samsung Q85A and Q90A are the options you should be going for and not Sony's offerings. I would only consider the X90J if it costs 85-90k. Anything over that and OLED is within reach.

Sony's focus for 2021 is their (seemingly) excellent OLED lineup, and not their LCD TVs. Their FALD won't be able to compete with Samsung's mini LED offerings which will have many more dimming zones and higher brightness.

There's no point paying over 1 lac for a 55" TV with <50 zones and 700 nit brightness.

What will be the additional features in x90j over x90h and when its releasing? What about x950h if it's available in 55/ 65 inch?
Processor XR which is one up from X1 ultimate which x90h does not have. X1 ultimate is in 950h but in x90j it goes one up. So skip the 950h and go gor x90j

Processor XR which is one up from X1 ultimate which x90h does not have. X1 ultimate is in 950h but in x90j it goes one up. So skip the 950h and go gor x90j
The processor can't make an inferior TV match up to a superior panel. X90J should still be below X950H in terms of PQ since it has lower peak brightness and less number of zones.

X1 ultimate was already a great processor. So any increase will only be marginal here. I'd be shocked if the X90J can even come close to the PQ of X950H.

What will be the additional features in x90j over x90h and when its releasing? What about x950h if it's available in 55/ 65 inch?
X90J over X900H -> Properly working 4k 120Hz (no blur), better processor (XR v/s X1) and probably better panel (not sure).
X90J over X950H -> HDMI 2.1 and better processor (XR vs X1 ultimate).

Overall, for movie watching it should be X950H > X90J >= X900H
For gaming, it should be X90J > X900H > X950H.

X90J over X900H -> Properly working 4k 120Hz (no blur), better processor (XR v/s X1) and probably better panel (not sure).
X90J over X950H -> HDMI 2.1 and better processor (XR vs X1 ultimate).

Overall, for movie watching it should be X950H > X90J >= X900H
For gaming, it should be X90J > X900H > X950H.
Kindly add the 2021 Frame to the equation and if its VFM if one gets it at 78-80K compared to 95K-1l+ for X90H/X90J and a non existent 55" 95H in Sony's website and the market(They have X95G for 1.1l at places or a 75 incher at 5.5l)

The processor can't make an inferior TV match up to a superior panel. X90J should still be below X950H in terms of PQ since it has lower peak brightness and less number of zones.

X1 ultimate was already a great processor. So any increase will only be marginal here. I'd be shocked if the X90J can even come close to the PQ of X950H.
Still it is better to wait and watch. You always challenge my posts. I don't waste time defending unless I feel it is necessary and here I feel we need to wait and watch. Call me stupid or ignorant but we don't have the product at hand yet to comment. You are a brilliant person I agree but commenting before the product comes out is still not a decisive saying. You once said I am a Sony fanboy. I am recommending a Samsung here. So kindly take that prejudice off me.

Still it is better to wait and watch.
You are the only one here claiming that X90J will be better. I'm saying the X950H *should* be better.

The X90J can be better, but it's a lower probability since it's a lower quality panel.
I don't waste time defending unless I feel it is necessary and here I feel we need to wait and watch. Call me stupid or ignorant but we don't have the product at hand yet to comment.
Exactly, so how can you say that X90J will be better than X950H. You are the one contradicting yourself here.
You are a brilliant person I agree but commenting before the product comes out is still not a decisive saying.
Uh what! Do you even read what you wrote above?

Kindly add the 2021 Frame to the equation and if its VFM if one gets it at 78-80K compared to 95K-1l+ for X90H/X90J and a non existent 55" 95H in Sony's website and the market(They have X95G for 1.1l at places or a 75 incher at 5.5l)
We are on full speculation land here. Honestly speaking, I'll look for the LG A1 since that should also be available under 1 lakh this Diwali. It's a 60Hz panel but will blow these TVs out of the water in terms of PQ.

I have an update guys. I was able to find a display piece X95G for a very good deal (85k) at a local Reliance Digital store. Super thrilled with the purchase. Also, got 2 year extended warranty just to be safe.
Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Cheers!

I have an update guys. I was able to find a display piece X95G for a very good deal (85k) at a local Reliance Digital store. Super thrilled with the purchase. Also, got 2 year extended warranty just to be safe.
Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Cheers!
Stoked the discussion, a few skirmishes and finally went out of syllabus.:D Congrats and wish a long good experience. Any idea how much was the runtime of the tv?

Stoked the discussion, a few skirmishes and finally went out of syllabus.:D Congrats and wish a long good experience. Any idea how much was the runtime of the tv?
Haha, didnt think I could grab a X95G for that price :p Didnt check the runtime but it had been up for good 5-6 months, can check tomorrow after installation and confirm.

You are the only one here claiming that X90J will be better. I'm saying the X950H *should* be better.

The X90J can be better, but it's a lower probability since it's a lower quality panel.

Exactly, so how can you say that X90J will be better than X950H. You are the one contradicting yourself here.

Uh what! Do you even read what you wrote above?
Sabaa. Yaaru pa Ivan. Edhavudhu sollinde irukanum pola. Periya ego thala pola.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back