Sound diffusers: need advice

I recently moved my stereo setup to a new room and discovered that the audio has suffered significantly. While the speakers are positioned at a considerable distance from the back and side walls, I find a lack of coherence in the sound - the previous room in which I listened to music was fantastic for audio; two large windows dispersed the waves quite well; this room has flat, dead walls. Can anyone here help with diffuser panel advice (or any other solutions I should consider)?

A room's structure can have significant impact on the sound. The size of the room and its contents contribute to it. Most probably, you are experiencing reverb and echo, resulting in incoherence.

One of the ways of improving sound is to filling the room with objects. Furniture such as sofa, carpet, bookshelf, etc, introduces enough diffusion. A combination of absorption and diffusers are required. One of the critical areas to cover is the first reflection points next to the speaker. Add an absorption panel on either side. You can fill the corners with bass traps to improve tightness and timing in the bass. These corners tend to be stagnation points.

One large diffuser panel made of wood can be installed on the wall facing the listening point; as well as the back side. There are inexpensive options on Amazon.

I recently moved my stereo setup to a new room and discovered that the audio has suffered significantly. While the speakers are positioned at a considerable distance from the back and side walls, I find a lack of coherence in the sound - the previous room in which I listened to music was fantastic for audio; two large windows dispersed the waves quite well; this room has flat, dead walls. Can anyone here help with diffuser panel advice (or any other solutions I should consider)?
The wall behind the speakers is very critical. As is the wall behind your listening position.. since you mention a diffused sound, I would recommend absorption here. Absorbing panels help sharpen imaging, so they should do the trick here. It is only when you feel you have a narrow soundstage, or one with less depth, should you consider diffusion. Diffusion usually enlarges the sound stage, at the cost of imaging if not judiciously used.

As is the wall behind your listening position.. since you mention a diffused sound, I would recommend absorption here.

I assume you meant diffusion for the walls behind the listening position? If so, I'd agree. Still looking at sitting at least 6 ft from the diffusers for it to be effective in terms of enhancing spaciousness.

The wall behind the speakers in very critical. As is the wall behind your listening position.. since you mention a diffused sound, I would recommend absorption here. Absorbing panels help sharpen imaging, so they should go the trick here. It is only when you feel you have a narrow soundstage, or one with less depth, should you consider diffusion. Diffusion usually enlarges the sound stage, at the cost of imaging if not judiciously used.
I assume you meant diffusion for the walls behind the listening position? If so, I'd agree. Still looking at sitting at least 6 ft from the diffusers for it to be effective in terms of enhancing spaciousness.
Yes sir.. diffusers have a minimum distance to work :)..and 6 ft is not exactly a bench mark, depends on the design....but I would still stick and advocate what I first said...absorption at first reflection points. Once you've added that. You have to decide between sound staging and imaging. It is diffusion vs absorption here :)

Hi JaideepGiridhar, Can you post a picture/diagram of the setup, your speaker details and room dimensions ? else this will become a very generic discussion !
Also on what would you mean by lack of coherence is it a timing issue or is the treble appearing off ?

IMHO Better not to go into the room treatment route untill you figure out the problem..most can be solved by placements alone.

Last edited:
but I would still stick and advocate what I first said...absorption at first reflection points.

That advice is to cover for a fundamental speaker design flaw. Not all reflections are harmful. If your speakers are designed for (and have) good off-axis response, you can leave the first reflection points on the side wall alone.

Once you've added that. You have to decide between sound staging and imaging. It is diffusion vs absorption here :)

Indeed. Personal preference here.

That advice is to cover for a fundamental speaker design flaw. Not all reflections are harmful. If your speakers are designed for (and have) good off-axis response, you can leave the first reflection points on the side wall alone.

Indeed. Personal preference here.
I was actually debating for a while if I should even reply to the above :)

If you listen to EDM like me, then you would want a lively sound , plus some subs too :D

But if you were someome vocal centric, then you would want the mid range and treble to stand out.

So there it goes, I've heard some dead rooms, with some awesome systems, that make the singer spooky real. But that same system and room suck at the kind of music I listen to.

So just as there is no one perfect speaker, there is no one perfect room treatment either I guess. We have to tweak it to our choice of music :)

Hi JaideepGiridhar, Can you post a picture/diagram of the setup, your speaker details and room dimensions ? else this will become a very generic discussion !
Also on what would you mean by lack of coherence is it a timing issue or is the treble appearing off ?

IMHO Better not to go into the room treatment route untill you figure out the problem..most can be solved by placements alone.
The room is rectangular (9.8'X13.6'), with the listening position about 11.5' from the speakers. Speakers are located 3.5' from the back wall and 1.4' from the side walls. They're both mounted on IsoAcoustic Gaia IIs. I've attached a picture here:
IMG_6510.jpg

you could try something which worked for me.
1. Move the speaker to 13.6'/3 feet from the back but measured from the front of the speaker.
2. Move it 9.8/3 from the side walls measured from the inside wall of the speaker ( you can move it out to a different position later)
3. toe in only such that the center of the speaker are angled to your ear , or ideally firing straight ahead.

and then see if you still get the issue ? this will take out the room nodes etc.

You could also try.
-Keep any cardboard boxes at the corners ( or even any large soft toy or even a bunch of cushions)
-any soft toy/pillow on the window between the speakers
- a carpet/rug/folded cotton bedsheet on the floor between you and the speaker such that the reflection from the floor to ear is removed.

Ideally do that without the Iso acoustic footers if you can.

Last edited:
The room is rectangular (9.8'X13.6'), with the listening position about 11.5' from the speakers. Speakers are located 3.5' from the back wall and 1.4' from the side walls. They're both mounted on IsoAcoustic Gaia IIs. I've attached a picture here:
View attachment 56257
@JaideepGiridhar: You will have to compromise on your minimalist aesthetic preference in room decor for sure. :D
love the leaf and bottle framed by the window!
I would map out areas of first reflection on the floor and walls adjacent to the speakers and experiment with materials and objects that diffuse/absorb sound. @arj has made some very practical suggestions.
If you are into reading books, then bookshelves filled with books along the sidewalls are excellent for diffusion.
Rug/ carpet in front of the speakers did change the sound for me in a good way.
....reflection from wall behind the speakers? I am not sure what to do, does it depend on the speaker design, port etc?. I know some like acoustic panels for this. I have bare wall and it sounds fine with my sealed design speakers. But sometimes I do wonder....
The challenge is also not to over cook it.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back