Sound from only right speaker unless 3.55m jack is slightly pulled out

goyal.sanchit

Hello Everyone

I have a Dell XPS M1210 laptop and facing a very irritating issue. I have noticed it since the last 6 months or so.

Ok so the issue is If I plug the 3.5mm jack of either Headphones (TRRS jack) or aux wire (TRS jack) connected to 5.1 System completely then I get sound from only right speaker.

However If I pull the jack slightly out all speakers work fine. There are 2 headphone jack and the issue is with both of them.

Since the connectors are located on the front side even If I pull the jack slightly out it gets plugged in after sometime which is very irritating.

I have searched on Google and found many people with the same problem but no solution! It seems a fairly common problem.

Any ideas how it can be resolved?

Regards

Did you try with any other headphones? and did the same headphones work fine before 6 months?

Unless you can get your sockets repaired I would recommend you get a USB sound card (sells for very cheap on ebay) which you can plug to one of the USB ports and get 3.5 out socket which you can use similarly. Otherwise if you can buy a USB DAC that will also drastically improve your overall sound quality. I recently bought the Objective DAC, pics here http://www.hifivision.com/diy/26853-objective-dac-here-4.html#post402181

I've seen the problem many times since decades on all kinds of gear. I guess it has to do with the male-female jack of low quality.

--G0bble

Since two different jacks give similar problem, it looks like the 3.5mm female socket in the laptop is culprit.

Dont know about the model of laptop mentioned here. If you are good at repairing stuff by yourself, give a try by opening the laptop.

However If I pull the jack slightly out all speakers work fine. There are 2 headphone jack and the issue is with both of them.
This is a worldwide issue and is because of non compliance with the design specification standards by manufacturers. Go to any shop selling 3.5mm pins. Take a couple of 3.5mm pins of different manufactures, or even same manufacturer but different models, take a close look, you will notice large variation in design among them.
The only solution is to change the socket or pin whichever you can afford to change.

Hello Everyone

Ok so the issue is If I plug the 3.5mm jack of either Headphones (TRRS jack) or aux wire (TRS jack) connected to 5.1 System completely then I get sound from only right speaker.

Regards

per what I could recollect, please try inserting the connector to the socket marked mic First ( usually the black colored jack goes in - if you have the 5.1 cable normally supplied by the speaker system ) , this should prompt you what device is connected ( 5.1 or stereo ) , else, if you try inserting the jack to either of the headphone sockets first, the system thinks you are using the headphones/stereo only.

This could be a possible issue , else better to check what kind of jacks are supported.

Since the problem is with headphones as well as aux connected to 5.1 home theatre I guess it is headphone jack of laptop which is the culprit since both the headphones and aux work well when connected to a cellphone.

I am not "too" concerned with this issue but just wanted to know the reason. Maybe the laptop headphone jack is made for its own headphones and have trouble with other models. I have opened my laptop quite a few times and the next time I open it I would see if it is replaceable though by the looks of it it seems it might be difficult.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back