Sound of Hi end Audio system vs ordinary system

skdas

"poorly-recorded/mastered recording should sound better on a high end system than a lower quality playback system"

Do you all fully agree?

"poorly-recorded/mastered recording should sound better on a high end system than a lower quality playback system"

Do you all fully agree?

Why and how do you think this would be possible? No system can hide a bad recording.

A bad handwriting no matter written by which pen on which paper, will remain bad. On the other hand, a good hand writting will look better with a better pen on better paper. Don't you agree on that?

MaSh

No, quite the opposite should be "nearer" to correct.

I Second the statement. Hiend Components needs quality Source where as Average setp-up would be good with Mediocre recordings and Poor Recordings.

Best Example, is If you have 70 Inch Plasma TV, You need 4K Video to see its potential and it would be worse when the you play 720p Video.

Where as you have a 22 or 27 Inch TV, 720 Would be good and 4K As well (Just a generic example):eek:hyeah:

Quite the opposite.
A high end system would show up all the deficiencies in the recording which a lower one would not.

Not fully convinced!
Till yesterday some recording sound was quite good in my ordinary system , but now in hi end system with a more transparent speaker it turns to be poor recording with lot of details! less pleasant ! Is it desirable ?

Not fully convinced!
Till yesterday some recording sound was quite good in my ordinary system , but now in hi end system with a more transparent speaker it turns to be poor recording with lot of details! less pleasant ! Is it desirable ?

Well, I think that just proves what I said. It was sounding good because the defects didn't show up. A high end system will give more details of the music as well as any other content very faithfully.

Not desirable at all! I would go with lower resolution with less artefacts. I do believe that your music and setup have to be matching in quality else it just won't make sense. In fact that was one of my greatest concerns when I went for upgrading my setup.
It may be clichd but I believe totally in it, the one thing that is desirable is you enjoy the music. I have learned the hard way. Each one has to find his own golden mean between sound quality and enjoying what is at hand.
I have a lot of music which sounds good in my second setup but not so in my main setup. And I do enjoy it.
There are several threads where folks have scaled down their setup and yet continued to enjoy the music. The music is far more important than the sound quality.

One thing that you could try is get a top quality recording of the same music and see where it takes you on the hi end setup.

Not fully convinced!

Its all about how the deficiencies are presented. Its all about presentation. A revealing system with a warmish signature is more bearable than a cold lean one.IMO.

Do you all fully agree?

This is a tricky thing and can be defined in different ways with different perspective and analogies.

For a speaker based system, I would say sound is detached from the speakers and notes/instruments get space around them Imagine them being floating between the speakers in three-dimensional space.

The second is that you get to hear noise that is only with with recording and not caused by associated components.

There is a truism in audio: the higher you move up the equipment chain, the less listenable your music collection will be.

Sk

instead of going by what has been stated here
why dont you try a simple test

Buy a well recorded Album or alternatively ask some friends to lend them to you or get the said flacs on USB

Now play these "well recorded/mastered" pieces on both your systems
What can you hear
What do you feel

Look for micro details
Look at the tone and textures ( look for their correctness ... )

if you still enjoy your humble system
thats great !!!
Now
if you start noticing differences favorable to the "high end" system
BAD LUCK
youre now officially and "Audiophile" !!!!!

On a similar note, I enjoy FM stations better in my car audio than my AVR, as the later tend to sound bit tinny. On contrary, an audio CD will sound 100 times better in my AVR, than in my car audio.

Not fully convinced!

Desirable , if you want to increase the quality of your recordings and what you want to hear.

A simple analogy is watching low res videos on mobiles and then trying to see them on your 50 inch LCD. A disaster but not fault of the TV.

Desirable , if you want to increase the quality of your recordings and what you want to hear.

A simple analogy is watching low res videos on mobiles and then trying to see them on your 50 inch LCD. A disaster but not fault of the TV.

Perfect Analogy.
If you watch SD & HD channels on a small TV, you won't find much difference.
But you notice the difference, when you watch on bigger TV.

source is always the key which can make or break a set-up. most people ignore this very important aspect.

Sk

instead of going by what has been stated here
why dont you try a simple test

Buy a well recorded Album or alternatively ask some friends to lend them to you or get the said flacs on USB

Now play these "well recorded/mastered" pieces on both your systems
What can you hear
What do you feel

Look for micro details
Look at the tone and textures ( look for their correctness ... )

if you still enjoy your humble system
thats great !!!
Now
if you start noticing differences favorable to the "high end" system
BAD LUCK
youre now officially and "Audiophile" !!!!!

An excellent post by Dr Bass , on the subject-TELLS IT ALL:
http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge/50184-what-system-should-one-buy-5.html#post574778

There is a truism in audio: the higher you move up the equipment chain, the less listenable your music collection will be.

Ding! Winner.

You can get objectively better. It will, in every measurable sense, be better.

Will it actually give you the same listening joy?

Probably not.

Music is like food, season to taste. Finding that seasoning is a lot harder than it is with food.

At some point you choose -

1) Eat gourmet food and critique it in an attempt to chase perfection and feed your insecurity

2) Eat fast food, grin and be satisfied. It isn't as nuanced, it isn't as detailed or as "perfect" but it is more satisfying than any gourmet meal could ever hope to be.

I have been "chasing the dragon" for years, if I could go back in time I would do things differently.

My 2 cents.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back