Sound proofing-anyone used Anutone's tough board?

manishk13

Hi

I have finalized Anutone's abosptive panels to take care of sound absoption - it is going on the side walls (leaving 1.5 feet at the bottom) , full screen wall and rear wall. The area that is EXPOSED has only concrete - basically the area above and below anutone's abosptibe boards and some area at the back. I live in a complex with independent houses where people are very finicky about disturbances and society has strict rules. While I want to leave some bare walls not to deaden the room , I am also scared of the concrete not good enough from sound to travel outside , speacially at night. To have full peace of mind, Praveen of anutone suggested a new product called " tough block" (no description on web) which can be put on bare walls backed by synth/glass wool and some air gap. This is A SOUND PROOFING product and I saw it in Anutones factory and it looks like thin marble (not so heavy). A

Has anyone used this product ? Do you think I am moving in right direction. The price is 30 per sq ft which is cheaper than covering with ply

Thanks
Manish

Santhosh has used it, and after seeing it I also plan to use it in my basement.

George, this is a different product from the one that I have used. Manish mentioned to me yesterday that this is a new product from Anutone and they have sold out all their stock owing to its popularity. From what I gather, it is a sound proofing/sound isolation product rather than a sound-absorbing one that I have used.

@Manish: Please post a link to this product on the Anutone site.

George, this is a different product from the one that I have used. Manish mentioned to me yesterday that this is a new product from Anutone and they have sold out all their stock owing to its popularity. From what I gather, it is a sound proofing/sound isolation product rather than a sound-absorbing one that I have used.

@Manish: Please post a link to this product on the Anutone site.

Hmmm, So a sound proofing board will not absorb sound? How does it prevent sound from traveling through then?

Regards

Hmmm, So a sound proofing board will not absorb sound? How does it prevent sound from traveling through then?

Regards
I am not entirely sure about this product as I have not seen or read about it, just heard about it from Manish.

However, soundproofing can be achieved without necessarily absorbing it. An air gap(without any air leaks) between walls, windows, doors etc prevents the sound from going out of the room. Unless the inner side of the surface is treated with absorbing material like Anutone, Fiber glass wool etc, the surface will reflect\diffuse.

Gobble, if you remember from our meet, in my Entertainment Room, I have two doors (and windows) with an airgap for the same reason. I have made both sides of the doors absorbent to avoid creating a resonant cavity. Recently, I saw this technique implemented in my office's generator room where the Noise Levels were constantly above 110 dB.

BTW, UPVC window products like Fenesta etc follow a similar technique - they sandwich two layers of glass with an air gap in between ....or so I was given to understand.

Last edited:
I am not entirely sure about this product as I have not seen or read about it, just heard about it from Manish.

However, soundproofing can be achieved without necessarily absorbing it. An air gap(without any air leaks) between walls, windows, doors etc prevents the sound from going out of the room. Unless the inner side of the surface is treated with absorbing material like Anutone, Fiber glass wool etc, the surface will reflect\diffuse.

Gobble, if you remember from our meet, in my Entertainment Room, I have two doors (and windows) with an airgap for the same reason. I have made both sides of the doors absorbent to avoid creating a resonant cavity. Recently, I saw this technique implemented in my office's generator room where the Noise Levels were constantly above 110 dB.

BTW, UPVC window products like Fenesta etc follow a similar technique - they sandwich two layers of glass with an air gap in between ....or so I was given to understand.

Yes. I saw that at your place. The Bose showroom in forum also has double sandwiched glass if I remember right.

Regards

Thanks guys, unfortunately Praveen mentioned (Santosh please note) that since it is a new product, web site is not updated

I will go to their factory today, see a sample and try and get a brochure with description and post it here.

Update: Praveen mentioned yesterday that new stock arrives on next thursday but there is a huge demand.

Let us see

Regards
Manish

soundproofing can be achieved without necessarily absorbing it. An air gap(without any air leaks) between walls, windows, doors etc prevents the sound from going out of the room. Unless the inner side of the surface is treated with absorbing material like Anutone, Fiber glass wool etc, the surface will reflect\diffuse.

Santosh, no offenses meant, I just thought I'll chip in with my char anna.:)

Soundproofing cannot be achieved without absorbing it. Sound is a wave energy which needs a medium to propagate. It travels in different mediums at different speeds.

By using the technique that you have explained, what you are basically achieving is absorbtion by way of multiple reflections, diffusions and eventual absorption.

This is more to serve the purpose of insulation I guess.

Last edited:
Santosh, no offenses meant, I just thought I'll chip in with my char anna.:)

Soundproofing cannot be achieved without absorbing it. Sound is a wave energy which needs a medium to propagate. It travels in different mediums at different speeds.
None taken captain:). You are right.

By using the technique that you have explained, what you are basically achieving is absorbtion by way of multiple reflections, diffusions and eventual absorption.
Spot on capt, we are actually on the same page. In any room, the sound waves become weak with every reflection, diffusion or absorption and will eventually decay. In a treated room, the purpose built acoustics help in decaying the sound faster. The time taken for the decay is called Reverberation time. Some interesting read on Wiki: Reverberation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From my offline discussion with Manish, he told me it is like a slab of marble (no pores, rigid, heavy etc) and that he was told it is a sound proofing product. So, the product itself may not absorb(especially on first reflection), but the sound reflected off it will be absorbed eventually elsewhere.

This is more to serve the purpose of insulation I guess.
Absolutely. To keep sound inside from going out of the room and sound outside the room from entering the room.

Guys

1. I visited the Anutone factory and got a sample. It is NOT heavy weight wise. The weight is exactly same as the absorption boards. The key difference is that it looks "tought" as in non porous and almost feels like a thin piece non-porous granite/wood/marble in looks.

2. I have the pdf brochure but not able to upload it due to large size. Santhosh I will mail to you, others please PM me, thanks.

Thanks
Manish

The key difference is that it looks "tought" as in non porous and almost feels like a thin piece non-porous granite/wood/marble in looks.
Thanks
Manish

You mean tought as in phish? Something phishy here ... :licklips:

I dont think absorption is a must for sound isolation / sound proofing. By isolation, what we need to achieve is to reduce or prevent the sound waves from going outside or coming inside either through air or walls. The concept of room inside another room or floating room is doing the exactly the same.

An air gap (vaccum is most preferred, but practically impossible) b/n two walls with lesser, but strong contact points b/n them, is enough to do the isolation. Since the resonance will be a problem if the gap is not a vacuum, we need to stuff the gap with some insulation material or a sound absorbing material (this will help in reducing the sound transmission further as it will absorb the sound also). Also the walls should be thick enough to keep the sound inside or reflected inside. If we can find a material which is less in wt and thick enough with high density similar to concrete wall and is made up of molecules which will not vibrate / resonate with the frequency of the sound, it is more than enough to make a false room / wall for sound isolation. I think this is what the Anutone board will do, just an assumption.

Last edited:
I dont think absorption is a must for sound isolation / sound proofing. By isolation, what we need to achieve is to reduce or prevent the sound waves from going outside or coming inside either through air or walls. The concept of room inside another room or floating room is doing the exactly the same.

An air gap (vaccum is most preferred, but practically impossible) b/n two walls with lesser, but strong contact points b/n them, is enough to do the isolation. Since the resonance will be a problem if the gap is not a vacuum, we need to stuff the gap with some insulation material or a sound absorbing material (this will help in reducing the sound transmission further as it will absorb the sound also). Also the walls should be thick enough to keep the sound inside or reflected inside. If we can find a material which is less in wt and thick enough with high density similar to concrete wall and is made up of molecules which will not vibrate / resonate with the frequency of the sound, it is more than enough to make a false room / wall for sound isolation. I think this is what the Anutone board will do, just an assumption.

:confused::confused:

manishk13 said:
I think it is an simple flat board which is similar to ply wood.

I have finalized Anutone's abosptive panels to take care of sound absoption - it is going on the side walls (leaving 1.5 feet at the bottom) , full screen wall and rear wall. The area that is EXPOSED has only concrete - basically the area above and below anutone's abosptibe boards and some area at the back. I live in a complex with independent houses where people are very finicky about disturbances and society has strict rules. While I want to leave some bare walls not to deaden the room , I am also scared of the concrete not good enough from sound to travel outside , speacially at night. To have full peace of mind, Praveen of anutone suggested a new product called " tough block" (no description on web) which can be put on bare walls backed by synth/glass wool and some air gap. This is A SOUND PROOFING product and I saw it in Anutones factory and it looks like thin marble (not so heavy). A

Has anyone used this product ? Do you think I am moving in right direction. The price is 30 per sq ft which is cheaper than covering with ply

Thanks
Manish

I think it is similar to plywood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are There Audio Transformers Readily Available For Static Speakers?

I am not sure whether I am within the suitable thread. I call for some help putting in <a href="http://leonardbaker94457.webs.com/apps/blog/show/10517834-purchase-speakers-at-discounted-price">a brand-new amplifier device</a>. The speakers I have got are electrostatic speakers. The amp generally seems to behave in a different way using this kind of loudspeakers. It would appear that it isn't working stable. If I use ordinary loudspeakers the amplifier works very good. Though with my electrostatic speakers there is always a loud hissing noise. What is the solution to make the amp stable? May I attach some kind of transformer perhaps? Virtually any guidance is greatly valued.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back