HT in a small 10x12 room at around Rs 3.5L

Is the subwoofer under warranty? I see you are in Mumbai. Both Mumbai and Pune are notorious for stable but constant high voltage due to lowering of voltage standards. I see mostly voltages hovering between 240 to 250 volts. New equipments being imported have to undergo tests for the new standards (in the new standard voltage can go upto 264 volts). Near the power cable inlet what voltage range do you see? The voltage range will also be in your subwoofer manual.

Put a stabilizer before your precious equipments. The standards for voltage regulation in our country has been lowered since 2014 to help few private power companies to install cheaper equipment with lower tolerances. But the actual implementation happened during the covid lockdown. It is now 240 +- 10%. So the stabilizer is the most important equipment as the voltage can be as high as 264 volts. The reason stated is "economic reason" Here is the link https://www.myelectrical2015.com/2019/04/standard-alternating-voltage-and.html. Check this post too https://www.hifivision.com/threads/nad-owners-thread.69476/post-1010431 and See page 25 of the document https://law.resource.org/pub/in/bis/S05/is.sp.30.2011.pdf
You are absolutely correct Sir. I have been observing the voltage at my place in Mumbai. On an average it is 246V and quite often 250 to 251V especially at night. Looks like gone are the days of 220 to 230V . Its seems more of an issue of high voltage rather than voltage fluctuation.

Last edited:
Is the subwoofer under warranty? I see you are in Mumbai. Both Mumbai and Pune are notorious for stable but constant high voltage due to lowering of voltage standards. I see mostly voltages hovering between 240 to 250 volts. New equipments being imported have to undergo tests for the new standards (in the new standard voltage can go upto 264 volts). Near the power cable inlet what voltage range do you see? The voltage range will also be in your subwoofer manual.

Put a stabilizer before your precious equipments. The standards for voltage regulation in our country has been lowered since 2014 to help few private power companies to install cheaper equipment with lower tolerances. But the actual implementation happened during the covid lockdown. It is now 240 +- 10%. So the stabilizer is the most important equipment as the voltage can be as high as 264 volts. The reason stated is "economic reason" Here is the link https://www.myelectrical2015.com/2019/04/standard-alternating-voltage-and.html. Check this post too https://www.hifivision.com/threads/nad-owners-thread.69476/post-1010431 and See page 25 of the document https://law.resource.org/pub/in/bis/S05/is.sp.30.2011.pdf
Excellent point :)

A lot of users in UK were complaining of hum issues with Gustard 26 series dacs and the Cen grand DS dacs. And on measuring found that the issue was over voltage on the mains. Could be similar here, as Rel are made in UK, and maybe centered to work +/- 10% offset from 220V. So trying a stabilizer is an excellent idea :)

Excellent point :)

A lot of users in UK were complaining of hum issues with Gustard 26 series dacs and the Cen grand DS dacs. And on measuring found that the issue was over voltage on the mains. Could be similar here, as Rel are made in UK, and maybe centered to work +/- 10% offset from 220V. So trying a stabilizer is an excellent idea :)
I lost few equipments to the new voltage standards.

1. Allo Shanti fuse blew in 2021. When this blew I checked the voltage and it was around 250 v. Changed the fuse and put everthing in my music room behind a stabilzer. Till date nothing has gone bad after stabilizer installation.
2. IPAD charger conked off in 2021. Now every room I have a output from a stabilizer
3. My Yamaha AVR would go into protection mode. Happened in Sep/Oct 2021. Opened the AVR and found SMPS IC TOP254N was running extremely hot. The max voltage the IC could sustain was 265 v (just around the max voltage which we get now). The official Yamaha service center was quoting around Rs 20k. I purchased two of them for Rs 298. Desoldered the old IC and put the new one and my AVR is singing since Nov 2021 till date. I was extremely sad because I find this AVR better than my tube amp and prefer the multi channel sound with whatever DSP yamaha is doing. My repair saga is detailed here.
4. My Zero B RO purifier conked off in 2021. The technician came and replaced the SMPS. Now I have put a tiny stabilzer behind the RO.
5. My HTPC SMPS blew off in Aug 2021. Again the SMPS IC conked off. Ordered a new SMPS from corsair. Now this too is supplied from the stabilizer in the Music Room. All ok till date.
6. Once bitten twice shy, Put stabilizers for microwave oven, dishwasher and washing machine.
7. In 2021 I posted in the society whatsapp group on the voltages around 250 volts. Thanks to that I came to know many lost their TV sets in 2021. All of them had a fault with the power supply board. The society then complained to the electricity board which came back and said voltages are fine, it is your equipment which is faulty.

Lucky the max damages that i suffered was around Rs 1000 IIRC for the water purifier SMPS and Rs 3890 for the PC SMPS. But now I sleep well knowing that I have stabilizers throughout the house and voltage cannot go above 240 volts. Maybe one day I will ask Adani to refund me Rs 4890 + Rs 298 for AVR IC + Rs 10 for the cartridge fuse.

I have also put voltmeters at strategic locations

Input voltage right now on my voltmeter at inlet
1709558068159.png

Output voltage right now on my voltmeter at outlet
1709558127218.png

Last edited:

Maybe one day I will ask Adani to refund me Rs 4890 + Rs 298 for AVR IC + Rs 10 for the cartridge fuse.

View attachment 83234

View attachment 83235
Before you can claim any refund for your damages, the deposit charges in your electricity bill may be conveniently increased :)

Thanks, MB!
It definitely has something to do with the amp. There's a heavy thump when i power off the sub.

Will changing the RCA help?
The thump when you switch off the sub is normal for Rel subs.
Both my Rel S2s had it & even my S/510 has it. So don't worry about that.

My gut feeling says it's the RCA cable. Get the amazonbasics one & try, its cheap & will atleast help you solve your issue.

1. Allo Shanti fuse blew in 2021. When this blew I checked the voltage and it was around 250 v. Changed the fuse and put everthing in my music room behind a stabilzer. Till date nothing has gone bad after stabilizer installation.
2. IPAD charger conked off in 2021. Now every room I have a output from a stabilizer
3. My Yamaha AVR would go into protection mode. Happened in Sep/Oct 2021. Opened the AVR and found SMPS IC TOP254N was running extremely hot. The max voltage the IC could sustain was 265 v (just around the max voltage which we get now). The official Yamaha service center was quoting around Rs 20k. I purchased two of them for Rs 298. Desoldered the old IC and put the new one and my AVR is singing since Nov 2021 till date. I was extremely sad because I find this AVR better than my tube amp and prefer the multi channel sound with whatever DSP yamaha is doing. My repair saga is detailed here.
4. My Zero B RO purifier conked off in 2021. The technician came and replaced the SMPS. Now I have put a tiny stabilzer behind the RO.
5. My HTPC SMPS blew off in Aug 2021. Again the SMPS IC conked off. Ordered a new SMPS from corsair. Now this too is supplied from the stabilizer in the Music Room. All ok till date.
6. Once bitten twice shy, Put stabilizers for microwave oven, dishwasher and washing machine.
7. In 2021 I posted in the society whatsapp group on the voltages around 250 volts. Thanks to that I came to know many lost their TV sets in 2021. All of them had a fault with the power supply board. The society then complained to the electricity board which came back and said voltages are fine, it is your equipment which is faulty.

Lucky the max damages that i suffered was around Rs 1000 IIRC for the water purifier SMPS and Rs 3890 for the PC SMPS. But now I sleep well knowing that I have stabilizers throughout the house and voltage cannot go above 240 volts. Maybe one day I will ask Adani to refund me Rs 4890 + Rs 298 for AVR IC + Rs 10 for the cartridge fuse.

View attachment 83234

View attachment 83235
Guess I need a voltmeter before anything!
Any reccos?

The thump when you switch off the sub is normal for Rel subs.
Both my Rel S2s had it & even my S/510 has it. So don't worry about that.

My gut feeling says it's the RCA cable. Get the amazonbasics one & try, its cheap & will atleast help you solve your issue.
Uff. Thanks, man.
Was thinking of placing a mogami order from hifimart.
Will try the Amazonbasics.

Guess I need a voltmeter before anything!
Any reccos?
If you wan't something cheap and easy to use get a multimeter like this. This kind of multimeter is also available in most road side electrical shops. It will be enough to tell you the voltage. It also has continuity tester.

This is what I use. But you have to do wiring behind and the terminals are exposed. So you will have to build a box to house it.

@insane79 @Nitin K Couldn't find the AB RCA cable on Amazon. So, have placed an order for MB cable and waiting. Gonna take two weeks.

@mbhangui Got a cheap Multimeter from a hardware store and have been obsessively measuring each plug point at home :D

Voltage is definitely on the higher side. (The particular subwoofer plug point has been returning 248-255 over three different measurements in night and day; rest of the plug points in the house are between 238-245)
Will measure for a few more days and see where things stand.

Voltage is definitely on the higher side. (The particular subwoofer plug point has been returning 248-255 over three different measurements in night and day; rest of the plug points in the house are between 238-245)
Will measure for a few more days and see where things stand.
Can you post the image of the subwofer inlet. The voltage range is generally mentioned there. Else you can find in the Technical Spefications of the subwoofer in the User Manual. AFAIK for rel subwoofers for the india, middle east and east it is 220-240 volts. This is way above what you are getting. As of now only two countries in the milky way galaxy have voltage above 240v - India and Afghanistan.

Can you post the image of the subwofer inlet. The voltage range is generally mentioned there. Else you can find in the Technical Spefications of the subwoofer in the User Manual. AFAIK for rel subwoofers for the india, middle east and east it is 220-240 volts. This is way above what you are getting. As of now only two countries in the milky way galaxy have voltage above 240v - India and Afghanistan.
I forgot to mention it when you first posted - the inlet says AC: 220-240V

Also,if the sub is disconnected, do the AVR crossovers still stand?

Asking cos, I had set the crossover at 100, and even without the sub, movie tracks are quite beefy.

Obviously, without that last bit of low end.

Wondering if all data now goes through the main speakers....

Also,if the sub is disconnected, do the AVR crossovers still stand?

Asking cos, I had set the crossover at 100, and even without the sub, movie tracks are quite beefy.

Obviously, without that last bit of low end.

Wondering if all data now goes through the main speakers....

If front speakers are set to large than the front will be sent the full signal , if set to small they will be sent per crossover you set for the speaker.

If front speakers are set to large than the front will be sent the full signal , if set to small they will be sent per crossover you set for the speaker.
Thanks, bro.

Will try it in the coming days. There's a good two weeks the sub is gonna be out of commission. :)

Starting today, driving all speakers - lcr, sur, heights - as large.
No sub.
Will drop observations, which will obviously be only opinion. But should be worth something.

Hello friends.. Is it worth to buy used Marantz SR6007 AVR? Can i pair 4 ohm speakers with tbis AVR? Thanks.
It all depends, bro. What 4 ohm speakers are you running? How well do you know the seller? How old is the product? What kind of usage?

Also, 4 ohm speakers are a bit of a push for AVRs in general. What config are you running?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back