HT in a small 10x12 room at around Rs 3.5L

Sorry, not following you. You have installed two speakers in ceiling and set it as 7.1 instead of 5.1.2? That's giving better result?
Hey, Shri, trust you been enjoying your set up. Sorry, just saw this.
I got four in ceiling, and set it as 5.1.4.
And was terribly underwhelmed in an uncorrected room.

By way of which, there is an update...

Over the weekend, i corrected the room for its current furniture and then decided to additionally crank up the ceilings to about +6 dB (rear heights, directly behind me) and +8dB (front heights, which are slightly more forward).

My conclusions:
1. This setup works best in terms of immersion only for true atmos only via streaming.
Notes:
Netflix atmos content displays on avr as atmos. And feels brilliant.
Prime stuff displays on avr as either dolby dsur in avr or dd + dsur, but quality feel remains same as netflix content.
biggest disappointment continue to be plex content. Just unable to make it work as desired with any kind of file.

will keep ploughing away.

any inputs, most welcome.

regards

Small update:
The house is wholly done, and finally living in peace :D

The idea of giving control of living area to the better half has now resulted in a not-so-cute conundrum: There is exactly just enough space there to house ONLY this thing (and mind you, not a pair, but just ONE unit):

(She clearly knew what kind of sound she wanted in the living room and how the darned thing should look I guess :D )
I think I need to pack my stereo dreams and put them in the loft for a few years. :)

Anyway, I'll get down to measuring the media room in the weeks to come and will keep you all posted about treatment steps.
Thanks again, one and all! You'll have been a proper fam.

May become a long one soliciting suggestions and advice.

Dear all,
Been passively reading this forum ever since I decided to set up an HT. Trust me I have read so much in the last three months, and now I am left with more questions than when I knew nothing and started over. So, I thought I would share my thoughts here and request suggestions and opinion from the veterans.
Quick details: Room size: 10x12; Aiming to build: 5.1.2; Budget: 3.5L-4L, all incl.

The space:
Like I said, it's a 10x12 room, with concrete floor, and block concrete walls, the long (12') sides of which will be shared with the living room on the one side, and the main bedroom on the other side. Flats above and below.
Have attached drawings of a few options. (Behind the recliners is a small work area. Also, I just saw one of those drawings say Gear Cabinet. It is not to house A/V gear, but motorcycle gear. :) )

1. The first is a horizontal set up and almost everyone says it is not advisable.
2. The second is a vertical set up, and I did not like the problem the room door was posing.
3. So, got the okay from the home minister for the repositioning the door to open into the living room, so that the TV-LCR wall can be fully utilised. (I have drawn extra rear and ceiling speakers, which will be a later upgrade. So kindly ignore them)

Questions about space:
1. Can I go ahead with the speakers, set up the place and take a leap of faith that the sound will not leave the room - either to the main bedroom or to the neighbour downstairs. (Am a bit of an owl and, besides some 30 minutes of music in the afternoons, mostly play movies late in the night -- not loud, generally at 60ish dB with dynamic sounds touching around 75 dB) The sub I most likely will pick up is the SB Pro 1000.

2. Or should I just blindly spend the first money on sound-proofing the room and then start building the sound system as and when money is available. If I go down this route, could FMs suggest some good, affordable people?
I live in Mumbai, and currently have a rough verbal quote of Rs 550 per square feet including the window and door. (At 636 sq-ft of wall area, the cost comes to 3.5L)

Speakers:
So, I hope to set up a 5.1.2 within a budget of 3.5L with the following rough break-up: 1L for L-R, 30-50K for the centre channel, and 30K each for a pair of surrounds and ceilings, 75K for the sub, and hopefully 80K for the Denon X2700 if I settle on the Klipsch. If the final speaker demands it, then may have to bump up to the X3700.

I decided to go with floorstanders for their obvious advantages and also because commonly available stands bump up the price of any good bookshelf to that of an equivalent floorstander.

The rains have been bonkers in Bombay this month, and with the Covid restrictions, I have only so far listened to the Klipsch RP-4000F and 5000F so far. I quite like them. The main thing I noticed was that when I heard them I did not feel they were as bright as many say. The mid-range and bass were a world better than the RP-4000F. I really liked the RP-5000F. So, it's a definite option.

Once the rains abate and restrictions are lifted, I plan to request demos from sellers in both Bombay and Pune for the following speakers in my budget:
Dali Oberon 5, Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F, the Q Acoustics 3050i, Emotiva T1+, KEF Q550s, and the Focal Chorus 716s. And though it will shred my budget, I also hope to listen to the Martin Logan Motion 20i.

Questions about speakers:
1. Would you all suggest anything else that you personally like in this budget?

Finally, a couple of general questions:
1. Will this set up be an overkill for this room?
2. And, of course, the room sound-proofing, the cost of which will push back the project by a few months. But if it is the only way to ensure peaceful nights for the missus and no complaints from the downstairs neighbours, I will spend this first and look at the rest later.

Thanks in advance and look forward to what I know will be good advice from this forum.
Hi,
If you need a proper setup and would like to add ceiling atmos speakers, I would advise you to audition, the options available @ Audiomaxx (Bhandup), I hope you will get your answers and will result in selecting the best setup possible.
You can contact Mr. VAIBHAV @ Audiomaxx, and give my reference ( as friends of Parag Karani), I am a Civil engineer, and I design interiors too, so I can understand, what are you upto.
Hope this helps and ensures right selection of the setup you require.
Regards,
Parag Karani

Prime stuff displays on avr as either dolby dsur in avr or dd + dsur, but quality feel remains same as netflix content.
Its possible to switch 'DD + DSurr' with 'DD + Neural X' for DD source sound in AVR. I am getting much better ceiling results by it.

There's something terrible and wonderful i wanna say.
Must've watched some 7-8 movies in uncorrected setup:
Terrible: overheads are overrated as of Aug 6, 2021.

Wonderful: Side surrounds are a friggin blessing.

With them two tiny puppies, i get some amazing results (am sure partially pyscho-auditory)

PS:
Find a room where fans are not needed.
It's amazing.

PPS: i really need to make a post for apartment dwellers.
It's been a revelation.
Hello all,
Watched an action movie last night. Got the feeling that 'something was very wrong'.

Then cast my eyes at the AVR display - it said just DD Sur. It instantly hit me that I have been watching only true atmos or upmixed content from Aug till now!

By chance, it was my first experience of watching a pure 5.1 mix after three months of not being satisfied by my overheads.

And instantly, I understood that my expectations were beyond the realms of possibilities. It's a pity (on me only :D) that I could never understand what object-based mixes do.
So, I think it is only fair that I update my views on overheads now.
--

Overheads:
Expectation: A shower of sound so focused from where the overhead speakers were placed.

Reality:
They just add to the ambience, and my speakers have so far been doing a stellar job of doing that!

Verdict:
It's just that I was expecting something more in-your-face. Good mixes + overhead speakers just DON'T do that. They just add to the overall ambience.
--

Effects: (Now, this is 'cat, meet pigeon' time. I might be entirely wrong, but hear me out)

Expectation:
Overheads bring nothing to the table in terms of bass

Reality:
The overheads so, so, so balance the bass in the room! I dunno how it works (as of now), or if I am right (opinions please), or even if this makes sense.
But in personal (no measurements) experience, after watching a 5.1 mix, I have 'sensed' what the overheads bring to the table.

The bass was tighter with upmixed/true atmos stuff, and it just didn't hit right with the 5.1 mix.

5.1 was, for lack of a better word, and with no irony, FLAT. Yes, it was around me, but it didn't envelope me. In a way the overhead stuff does.

As I said, this is something I am still in disbelief about. Am expecting to be totally wrong about this. But my personal experience so far has been that overhead speakers make a world of difference* when it comes to envelopment.
Why the asterisk, and that too in bold?
--

Final word:
Here is why the asterisk matters in my opinion:
1. If you have never had overheads in your HT and are loving your system, then don't even bother with the effort, time and money that this exercise requires - typical example: you are already set up, and you are wondering if you need to poke your ceiling, or spend more on additional channels/power/speakers - DON'T.

2. If you can and are able to do overheads, GO FOR IT, GO FOR IT, GO FOR IT!
It is totally worth it.
Drawbacks? Only one: You will never be able to downscale!

Hey @k-pad lovely thread. As a fellow Mumbaikar I can understand the space limitation. And kudos to you for having a room dedicated to HT

I am starting out to build my HT in my new place and this has been insightful.

I have a l-shape living, and the layout is attached. There is no other possibility of placement of the sofa.

I think, I might have to go for bipole for surrounds (Wharfdale WH-DFS).

Is 5.1.4 with front and rear heights (don't intend to cut for in-ceiling) possible in this layout?

Is 5.1.2 with just the front heights worth it?

Screenshot_20220923-100809~2.png

Hey @k-pad lovely thread. As a fellow Mumbaikar I can understand the space limitation. And kudos to you for having a room dedicated to HT

I am starting out to build my HT in my new place and this has been insightful.

I have a l-shape living, and the layout is attached. There is no other possibility of placement of the sofa.

I think, I might have to go for bipole for surrounds (Wharfdale WH-DFS).

Is 5.1.4 with front and rear heights (don't intend to cut for in-ceiling) possible in this layout?

Is 5.1.2 with just the front heights worth it?

View attachment 73306
Hi SP,
Welcome to the madness. :)
Yes, it is doable, but I do see three issues, all of which can be addressed:
1. The reflections of the speaker closer to the balcony will be higher than the other front speaker. Solvable with some treatment and correction.
2. Surround positioning will be tricky - you can attempt putting up one surround on the french window wall, and the other on a stand at same height.
3. With the room so open, pressurising it will be difficult for even the most capable sub. The problem can be mitigated a bit by placing the sub somewhere closer to sofa.

As for height speakers, four always better if you can get close to the recommended angles. Else, happily go with two front heights.

All the best, bro. Please keep us posted on progress.
Regards

Tonight, after a crossover blackout scene, I <felt> my phone buzz on my left couch armrest, i reached out to pick up my phone, then realised phone was on the other couch arm!

And then the film moved to the buzzing phone

This felt better than all the LFEs put together :D

Jftr and fwiw

Rewatching Triple Frontier, and full FOMO happening for not doing a PJ. :(

In second watch, the immersion is fully missing.

65" seems so small.

Even 77 might not do justice.

On the bright side, this is probably the only movie that has made me feel this way, and only in parts.

So, that's there.

(I think this was a movie made for big screen, which Netflix restricted )

This is a proper theatrical.

then realised phone was on the other couch arm!
Then your speaker positioning / sitting arrangement is just perfect.
BTW have you tried listening to classic stereo music? (From your posts , I know you are an HT guy)
Do share your experiences

Then your speaker positioning / sitting arrangement is just perfect.
BTW have you tried listening to classic stereo music? (From your posts , I know you are an HT guy)
Do share your experiences
Not much on this rig. It's mostly multi-channel hip-hop.

You might all hate me for this but just pick a Sony A9 which will be about 50% your budget with the SW5 included. Enough to get you almost 90% of the sound you'll get from a convenient HT. My suggestion comes looking at the volume of the room. It'll easily be filled with expensive speakers at lower DB or decent speakers at decent output.

This is a proper theatrical.
I have always been a "classic stereo" guy, since I firmly believe our room size in Mumbai is the major constraint in having a "theatre" like experience. I will be borrowing an entry level Yamaha HT from a friend and watch "Saving Private Ryan", just to hear what I was missing all along

I have always been a "classic stereo" guy, since I firmly believe our room size in Mumbai is the major constraint in having a "theatre" like experience. I will be borrowing an entry level Yamaha HT from a friend and watch "Saving Private Ryan", just to hear what I was missing all along
Even i was concerned about small room. But as i discovered, we can work around it to a certain level with some planning.

It's a good idea to borrow and play around a bit ao you get an idea of what works/doesn't, what can be fixed with correction/treatment, etc.

Just ensure source material is good.
All the best. Do let us know how ot goes.

Bad luck- The Yamaha HRT 2064 has no sound, but the front panel display , input selection, tuner works. checked YouTube for solutions, DSP IC failure. Probably due to long storage , it may have developed some issues.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back