Sound proofing vs absorbing which should i go for???

hey all,

I want to do a sound Proofing for my HT so that i dont get complaints from neighbours.

Room size is 19*16

For sound absorbing, i have wardrobe on one side(which i keep open) & curtain on the other side with a Convertible Bed in the centre & wooden flooring.

I have one French window of UPVC (normal) & there are two doors that i want to seal. whats the best option for this?

I have Cerwin Vega SL15 & onkyo 606.

Thanks
Ashok

From what I understand, you need absorbers in the front of the room while diffusers/reflectors should be placed more towards the rear of the room, is that correct? What would be the best location to place book shelves?

Your comment/question is about acoustics and absorption, while my write-up above focuses on isolation & insulation. Your comment is correct, but this may be the wrong thread for me to dive into that subject.

Try folding a piece of paper a few times until it is thick enough and wedge it between the loose fitting window frames to get a tight fit. You could use 2 or 3 such wedges at different locations to get a uniform fit. If this tames the vibrations, you could go in for a more permanent solution as recommended above.

Cheers

This would help in controlling some of the rattle, but the sound would still go out.

foam can be pu foam ( mattress foam ) or HItlon foam

both wont solve your problem though - at least not practically
unless you want to have an entire piece of foam covering your window and then move it every time you want to operate it

what the problem really is
is that there is a play between your window sliding glass window and the bottom track

this happnens when contracters dont use the same series to save money

use a strip of woolfile to file the gap
sticking is is gonna be a headache

another option is just two way tape in the right place
find out where the "play" is
between the window and the outer frame

and
P.S

The effective option would need creating wooden shutter frames that cover a frame area bigger that the current window.

Another option could be one more layer of aluminium glass shutters, and sealing all the gaps and crevices for both the layers. Then you would need heavy curtains inside to keep things under control.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back