Sound quality and HDMI

Dear Krausss

Can you please elaborate why you prefer a seperate CD player rather than a DAC+DVP.

ame

ame, it occured to me that you might be using a basic dvd player. so i felt that if you are particular about stereo music, then why not invest in a dedicated cd player wherein, apart from a suitable dac, you also get a better transport, power supply etc.

Dear krauss

Thanks.I read quite a number of memebers saying that they would like to buy a DAC instead of CDP.

May be I am missing the point you are trying to make.

ame

Others might have different opinions, but in my observations, you would get better results if you upgrade your transport, AVR/amp or speakers before your go for a DAC. There is definitely a place for them but I feel their capabilities are over expressed esp. in HT systems.

Dear krauss

Thanks.I read quite a number of memebers saying that they would like to buy a DAC instead of CDP.

May be I am missing the point you are trying to make.

ame

There are three ways of doing this.

(1) Use a high quality two channel audio cable. Connect the Front R&L/Mixed of the DVD Analogue output to the Front R&L analogue input of the AVR.

Set the DVD Player to one of the following options:

a. If you want pure stereo set the down mix mode to 'Stereo' or 'V.Surround'
b. If you are interested in Dolby Pro Logic, set the down mix mode to 'Lt/Rt'

This method can be used to listen to Redbook CDs.This is the best method for standard Redbook CDs. Use a high quality cable.

(2) Use ether a 75-ohm coaxial digital audio cable with RCA style connectors, or an S/PDIF optical digital cable.

This method can be used to listen to multichannel audio on DVDs. Remember to set the DVD Output to Raw/Bitstream or the AVR will not understand the signals coming in.

(3) Both the above methods are useful when the decoding in the AVR is of high quality. If the decoding in the DVD Player is better, you can use a 6 or 8 RCA style cables to connect the individual channels of the DVD Player to the individual input of each channel in the AVR. In this case, the DVD Player will send data in analogue form to the AVR that will just amplify it for your listening.

Cheers
Hi, is it possible to use both hdmi and optical at the same time?? Can we take video/audio output through hdmi while watching movies and audio output through optical for multichannel sound while listening to music??

Hi, is it possible to use both hdmi and optical at the same time?? Can we take video/audio output through hdmi while watching movies and audio output through optical for multichannel sound while listening to music??

You can do video only via HDMI and sound via optical simultaneously eg., for movies.

If you want to switch audio, then your AVR should have a switching option built in or be able to disable audio via HDMI. These are possible in many AVRs now.

You can do video only via HDMI and sound via optical simultaneously eg., for movies.

If you want to switch audio, then your AVR should have a switching option built in or be able to disable audio via HDMI. These are possible in many AVRs now.

Thanks, I have a pioneer vsx lx 51, don't know if it offers switching

karansfi, Marsilians, if I am not wrong, ALL amplifier units should have a way where you can choose the input. This should be possible manually or through a control on the remote.

Cheers

I've taken the hdmi from ps3 to hdmi-in 2 in the receiver and optical from ps3 to optical in (dvr2) in the receiver. After doing this i've selected video output through hdmi and audio output through optical in the ps3. Now when i press hdmi on the receiver remote i get the picture (no sound) and when i press dvr2 i get sound but no picture. What i wanted was to get picture through hdmi and sound through optical.

Now when i press hdmi on the receiver remote i get the picture (no sound) and when i press dvr2 i get sound but no picture. What i wanted was to get picture through hdmi and sound through optical.

HDMI carries both audio and video together. You may not be able to separate the two, as I think HDMI will just override every other connection. I am not sure about this, though. Try keeping everything in raw or bitstream format so that the PS3 does nothing but just send the data.

What I used to do with my Onkyo/Oppo was to connect the DVD Player to the TV directly through an HDMI, and the DVD Player to the AVR through an optical cable. Keeping the TV on mute, I could enjoy the upscaling features of the DVD Player, and the sound of the AVR.

Cheers

karansfi, Marsilians, if I am not wrong, ALL amplifier units should have a way where you can choose the input. This should be possible manually or through a control on the remote.

Cheers

You are right Venkat and that is what I suggest to use as option 1. However in the case where audio/video was being carried by HDMI (the note you wrote later), I was askin him to look for an option to disable in case he wanted to listen to optical. I have seen HDMI audio mess around with other outputs in Yamaha and Onkyo receivers sometimes when you have connected multiple outputs.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back