Sound quality differences between Denon 1709/1909/2309?

lakshmant

This is question to the denon owners on the forum. In these three models of AVR 1709/1909/2309 is there a true difference in sound quality?. There is a certain difference in amplifier power and features. But is the sound quality best in the 2309 and does it go down in quality as you go towards the lower models in the line.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Lakshman

Hi lakshmant,

The metric of "sound quality" is quite vague and differs from individual to another.

I would suggest you to listen to these (using a music/movie and loudspeaker system that you're familiar with), and purchase whichever makes you feel good.

As far as power is concerned, only a difference from a factor of two or more would be noticeable. Again, the question to ask is, how much power would you require? There is no point in having an AVR of 200WPC and you have have to turn up the volume beyour 25%!

The complete comparison between these receivers may be found at:

Profx - Advanced Audio Solutions

The 1909 and 2309 are almost similar, except for the 10WPC hike in the 2309 and the RS232 controls in 2309. However, it should be noted that the 1709 does not offer HDMI processing, which would be a major feature difference.

Finally, do spare sufficient amount for some good quality loudspeakers, as even the best receiver paired with poor loudspeaker would have an observable performance degradation.

Thanks,

Nitin.

Thanks for the replies. The difference i was looking at was in DSP and DAC implementations between the lines and the quality of OP amps and circuits.

From what i have noticed, all modern receivers now have HD decoding and many product lines use a common DSP chip family ex onkyo uses the TI Aureus DA710 line, Denon uses the ADSP 21367 and ADSP 21366 post processor, with the addition of post processor chip for THX modes or Multi EQ XT if required in the higher level models.

It is quite possible that denon may be using the same power amp modules, dac and dsp chips upto the 2xxx line of receivers to reduce cost and tweak it as you have mentioned. It adds up to huge reductions in manufacturing as they can be made on a single assembly line.

I also ask this question as the onkyo SR504 which i am using now was very inferior in DSP processing compared to its higher ups the SR 604 and SR 703 models. The DSP sounded much cleaner and precise with the higher models.

My main focus in the AV receiver is the quality of sound and audio processing features. I am not too interested in the video part.
Laksh

Hi Lakshman,

I have personally compared Denon 1909, 2309, 2809 and 3808A models. I can confirm that there are sonic benefits as we go up. So do not make any assumptions about the circuitry. They have different boards, are manufactured in different countries and do sound different.

Only the top two above have the "Multi EQ XT", 2809 has two DSP processors, while others have one. Only some of them have the AL24 processing for PCM.

So do not go by theoretical advice. Take you favorite CDs/DVDs and spend at least one hour on two occasions with these devices. Buy the one you like. Video is quick to judge, but audio takes a long time. Sometimes it is already too late by the time you realize.

Thanks,
Sharad

My Setup:
- Sources: Panasonic BD30 Blu-ray, NAD C542, C521 CD players, Project Debut III TT+NAD PP2, Denon DRW-585 Cassette Deck, WD TV HD
- Amps: Denon AVR 2809, NAD C372, Cambridge Audio 640
- Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6, Definitive Technology Supercube II subwoofer, Acoustic Energy Aesprit 309
- Projector: Plus U5-111 (Next on the line for upgrade), Samsung LCD LA46A550P1

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back