Sound quality: Tata Sky vs Netflix/PrimeVideo?

ypan07

Hi, I am noticing that, for the same movie, 5.1 sound from Tata Sky is always more muffled, subdued and less crisp than the same movie playing on PrimeVideo or Netflix, even though AVR displays DD+ for both inputs. Is this to be expected and observed by others as well?

Hi, I am noticing that, for the same movie, 5.1 sound from Tata Sky is always more muffled, subdued and less crisp than the same movie playing on PrimeVideo or Netflix, even though AVR displays DD+ for both inputs. Is this to be expected and observed by others as well?
Hi,
I am a DishTV user. The same thing happens with me too & probably everyone. The 5.1 sound quality is better in the given order:

Ultra HD/Blu Ray > DVD > Streaming services (Amazon prime/Netflix) > DishTV or other services

(Only for those who watch Hindi movies)
If someone wants to Enjoy audio from Tatasky. Just tune to "Star Gold Select HD" (not star gold hd).
This channel is available only with Tatasky. There is a very old Bollywood movie "Sholay". I've noticed a clear difference of sound when the same move was on another HD channel of Star and also on "Star Gold Select HD". If for such an old movie there can be so good surround sound. How it will be for new. I've experienced the same quality of surround from the same channel for other movies also.

Your Tatasky box should also have an optical out. You can try connecting the optical out to the home theater. You might get better sound output. Else try changing the audio out settings on you STB.

Your Tatasky box should also have an optical out. You can try connecting the optical out to the home theater. You might get better sound output. Else try changing the audio out settings on you STB.

Why would optical sound better than HDMI? For optical, STB has only DD option but for HDMI it has DD+

This is only to check between different sources & verify it is the same. It can be a box issue or that is the way tatasky transmits it

Almost all DTH providers compress sound and video to save bandwidth. Netflix and Prime broadcast the same without compressing the sound or video and that should be the reason we have good quality sound/video output through Prime or Netflix.

I have disconnected my tata sky once started using Fire stick because of the huge difference in audio quality.

Audio on STB ( even on optical out ) is really Bad. High time the operators did something about it.

Audio on STB ( even on optical out ) is really Bad. High time the operators did something about it.
Which provider are you using? And what do you exactly mean when you say it is bad?
Is it not clear, is the 5.1 not good, etc

I have heard that Airtel's is better, straight from the channels unprocessed. Tata sky does some processing, it seems. Some star channels in Airtel stb supports Dolby digital plus.

All providers compress the audio to save bandwidth. You will know the real difference when watching Netflix and Prime Video in 5.1 through firestick. Both the video and audio is topnotch especially in Netflix.

Which provider are you using? And what do you exactly mean when you say it is bad?
Is it not clear, is the 5.1 not good, etc
I use Tata Sky. Had attempted to connect to play music through my dac many moons ago. That horror lasted precisely 20 seconds .

Yes ..sound is not crisp in Tatasky.

Tatasky seems to compress channels more, some of their HD channels also not looking real HD ..

How do you compare it to Hotstar? I find the Tata sky STB much better than Hotstar which somehow gives the worst picture and audio quality.

How do you compare it to Hotstar? I find the Tata sky STB much better than Hotstar which somehow gives the worst picture and audio quality.
I have samsung tv ..where i watch hot star channels through Tv browser ( by browsing http://www.hotstar.com)
Some shows sounds better than tata Sky... some shows bad than Tata sky.

Clarity wise its same as tata sky.

All providers compress the audio to save bandwidth. You will know the real difference when watching Netflix and Prime Video in 5.1 through firestick. Both the video and audio is topnotch especially in Netflix.

I have a question here. I have connected my firestick to my Yamaha YHT 299 home theatre. I see the Dolby digital plus icon on the display of HT. But I hear vocals / voices from all speakers. Shouldn’t vocals come only from center speakers? Also i feel that its more kind of stereo output getting redirected to all speakers, as in the rear speakers sound like front ones. No separate sounds.
But when I connect my Sony bluray player and play a BD , I can clearly say its 5.1 , because the effects of say sea waves or birds flying come from rear speakers. And voices come from center speaker only. ( unless there’s a scene where people are speaking in background or on sides) .
Please help

I have a question here. I have connected my firestick to my Yamaha YHT 299 home theatre. I see the Dolby digital plus icon on the display of HT. But I hear vocals / voices from all speakers. Shouldn’t vocals come only from center speakers? Also i feel that its more kind of stereo output getting redirected to all speakers, as in the rear speakers sound like front ones. No separate sounds.
But when I connect my Sony bluray player and play a BD , I can clearly say its 5.1 , because the effects of say sea waves or birds flying come from rear speakers. And voices come from center speaker only. ( unless there’s a scene where people are speaking in background or on sides) .
Please help
Still one cannot compare the Blu-ray discs with firestick on audio quality. BD's will win hands down when compared to firestick. Hope you would have checked if Stereo/All channels mode is not enabled in the Yamaha receiver.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back