Sound quality wise difference in RCA spdif and AES XLR balanced digital

johnmicheal

Want to understand sound quality wise difference in RCA spdif and AES XLR balanced digital technology, I have both option in my dac.

I feel digital is the best. But it depends on what you're using other than the DAC. Personally I feel you should use both and see what suits the best to your system and you

What are you using as the Digital source to your DAC ?

Most Sources do not have a AES Digital output... Only an SPDIF Digital output (eg Sound Cards and CD Transports)

SPDIF Digital usually can max support 24/96 digital data rates. AES can go atleast till 24/192

AES Digital cables are also relatively hard to find, so generally, if Digital SPDIF is adequate for you, stay with it, there are a wide variety of cables ranging in proce from almost nothing to Rs 50K and above.

Want to understand sound quality wise difference in RCA spdif and AES XLR balanced digital technology, I have both option in my dac.
Rca Spdif has a inherent problem of connectors being only 50ohm vs Cable having the required 75ohm impedance. The Rca connector with 75ohm are seen only in premium Rca Spdif cables ; so Bnc connection is said to be better.
Aes cables are equally good; as this disparity between impedance of connector and cables doesn't exist, they're 110ohm throughout.

Technically speaking Aes should be better than Rca Coax, but whether the difference is audible? Depends upon rest of the chain

Ok let me share this.. I had bought a TCL 55 inch. The picture quality is average. There was one problem, the picture and audio was not syncing properly. So I called their technician and still no good. And that was the reason I was looking out for another TV and hence the question here.
Now finally I found a solution.
I went to audio and changed the digital out connection from 'Auto' to 'Off'. Things became much better, especially for the Tatasky. Sync was perfect.
Now the other device I use is the Firestick. There I went to.ge settings and selected 'Dolby' in the audio section and now that's also become ok. Bingo.
So no need for a new TV now
Thank you so much all for helping me. Everyone here is so helpful and rocking.
Thank you again!!

I have used aes and coax both in my dac. Technically aes should be better in reducing noise but i feel sound is more dependent on the type of wire used rather than technology and also how well dac interprets the aes. I like coax more than aes in my case.

I have a Jays Audio C D transport with options of spdif, aes/ebu and i2s.
Cables used:
Spdif: Siltech anniversary edition
AES/EBU: Audioquest Coffee
I2s: Audioquest Mocha

The AES/EBU is the best sounding when paired with the Denafrips Terminator, followed by i2s.

YMMV ofcourse

Regards

Thanks.

Appreciate your feedback. Sound Quality between various inputs does vary DAC to DAC.

Theoritically, I2S should sound the best (Its the native interface inside the DAC chip) but the interconnent needs to be very short, which is a practical problem.

Thanks.

Appreciate your feedback. Sound Quality between various inputs does vary DAC to DAC.

Theoritically, I2S should sound the best (Its the native interface inside the DAC chip) but the interconnent needs to be very short, which is a practical problem.
For a DIY dac with good PCB placement flexibility Is a typical short I2S ribbon cable sufficient to extract the best signal or do other alternatives exist.

Yes, in that case I2S is the best, theoritically .... (as always, a lot depends on the implementation)

Ultimately, ALL other interfaces distil the signal to the I2S format so that the DAC can process it.

Thanks.

I agree that theoretically i2s should be the best. My i2s cable is short and a comparable brand. But the other critical factor that comes into play is the implementation of the technology in the DAC. Moreover, AES/ EBU is a technology developed from the ground up for audio while i2s had trickled in from PC motherboards and the like. So there could be differences on that count.

Having tried USB / Optical / CoAx / BNC & AES-EBU output on my streamer /server ( Unfortunately the DAC doesnt have i2s input) - and that being the case in my experience - AES/EBU is a clear winner - i use AQ WEL SIgnature AES Cable. But like "IndianEars" have mentioned - ultimately how well it is implemented on your streamer / dac determines the performance I guess. USB output in my case is also very very good.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back