sound system for home theater..

bhagat

Hi Friends,
I want to buy sound system 5.1 which I can use for music listening and for watching movies as well.
I went for few demos but they just confuse me...my budget is between 20000 to 30000.
I don't have any clue about sound system so please advise to choose me a right product..I live in delhi.

Hello Bhagat, There are many brands like YAMAHA, DENON, ONKYO, which you can choose from. Within your budget or with some hike in ur budget you can get YAMAHA YHT-299

for ur budget u can get Yamaha YHT 196 which is good ..but with little extra budget u can get YHT 299,Denon DHT X500/x510 which is better than YHT 196.

I would strongly recommend HTP 072 over YHT 196. Pioneer HTP 072 had much better frequency response than Yamaha's muddy flat response. Compare both and you will know which one is better. I saw HTP 072 at AutoNode.

In Home theater processing the dolby 5.1 encoding is more important than sound quality or wattage or anything else.
When you see a helicopter flying overhead from behind you over your left shoulder and it flies diagonally to the right front corner and you hear sound go from the left rear speaker and ends up in the right front that is good processing of 5.1. The not so good ones just go form rear to front. And the even worse ones just blare it out of all 4. The difference is pretty glaring if you hear these 2 amps back to back. Yamaha DSP 2070 and a DSP 3090. Its just an example I am familiar with, and these are both old amps form the late 90's, and the amps are nearly identical, except for the dolby chip. I've done that experiment. The 3090 sounds so much better just because it has a better dolby chip.

Of late more and more movies have good encoding. So you should look into the receiver that gives you the best sound coordination with the picture. The first 20 mins of transformers is a good test track, as is the arrow scene in avatar. There is a few more.
Maybe some others can post what would be good test scenes.

Cool.
Srinath.

Almost any avr will now decode dolby and dts hd formats. You need not worry about all this. You may consider building step by step or go ahead with yht-299 or denon dht-x500. You need to take an audition of these to brands to just get a start off. Once you are done with that you can then post here and tell us your experience. Would then suggest to audition some higher brand that comprises of much better(bigger) speakers and see whether you are liking it r whether you are satisfied with the htibs from denon/yamaha. There is also onkyo ht-s3700 but does not come with powered subwoofer. however its the most feature rich htib i have seen. Audition is the key to a good and satisfying experience. Feel free to ask many more questions and post on this forum in case of any doubts.

I have heard the whole leatest codec's thing etc etc. But I have a denon 1910 that I am not even certain does better than the 10+ year older Yamaha dsp 3090. Yea It could be that the 1910 is the bottom of the stack in 09/10, and the 3090 was the top in its day (99-00). Maybe. That may have an effect. I've tried my friends 3808, but the yamaha I still thought did better.

I still recomend playing your DVD with specific localized sounds and knowing where it comes from.

In the arrow scene in avatar - the dsp 3090 made the sound just in the left front (where its supposed to be). In the IMAX theater I felt a thump on my left foot but heard the sound on the left side. LOL, I was sitting 1 seat to the left of the transducer mounted to the seats. It hit but I was in the wrong seat.

Look for sound to visual coordination. The better the dolby the more the sound follows the picutres on the screen.
Cool.
Srinath.

I have heard the whole leatest codec's thing etc etc. But I have a denon 1910 that I am not even certain does better than the 10+ year older Yamaha dsp 3090. Yea It could be that the 1910 is the bottom of the stack in 09/10, and the 3090 was the top in its day (99-00). Maybe. That may have an effect. I've tried my friends 3808, but the yamaha I still thought did better.

I still recomend playing your DVD with specific localized sounds and knowing where it comes from.

In the arrow scene in avatar - the dsp 3090 made the sound just in the left front (where its supposed to be). In the IMAX theater I felt a thump on my left foot but heard the sound on the left side. LOL, I was sitting 1 seat to the left of the transducer mounted to the seats. It hit but I was in the wrong seat.

Look for sound to visual coordination. The better the dolby the more the sound follows the picutres on the screen.
Cool.
Srinath.

Hi sir you are very well experienced in this field. Have gone through many of your posts. You are more of a diy enthusiast i guess. Highly appreciate your views on this. Don't you feel that the post you made suggest anything which is not possible for the person who has asked the question. In the given budget i doubt the user will be able to procure any of the stuff you recommend. Im sorry if i have said anything offensive sir. But in india we dont really have much of this stuff. And if we do its quite overpriced. The knowledge you have is immense and is a good topic to discuss but not in the users thread in which he expects a solution to his question. Why do you stress on dolby??? Not sure of this post. Anyway i guess the forum allows you to post anything what you like and no one can stop you from doing that. I hope you take this positively sir and not the other way around..........i feel like im heading for an argument.....but thats not what i want.....hope you take it in the right way!!!!

Last edited:
Please dont call me sir. I'm good with your post though. Just call me srinath.
Well just an experience I had that's all.
The odd thing is Yamaha's dsp 3090 was good. But a lot of their later receivers fell back into the same type as the later denon and onkyo.
Maybe the chip they used in the dsp 3090 went out of production.
Like DAC chips. The best dac chip was the TDA1541, then when it went out of production it took 20 years to catch up with that.
Maybe the same thing in the dolby processing chip.
Cool.
Srinath.

for ur budget u can get Yamaha YHT 196 which is good ..but with little extra budget u can get YHT 299,Denon DHT X500/x510 which is better than YHT 196.
my buget for av receiver is 35k no need wifi,bluetooth & ethernet

my list is
yamaha rx377
denon x510bt

which one is best sounding and also suggest if there any other best sounding receivers in this price range

my buget for av receiver is 35k no need wifi,bluetooth & ethernet

One thing about our hobby is nothing remains "unwanted" for long. Its better you plan for the future too or you will be looking to upgrade for more features, but will be taking a hit on the older equipment.

I speak from experience, I have an older Onkyo HTIB that processes all the codecs and sounds good too, but without wifi and/or ethernet and that became a necessity with the addition of smartphones, tablets, a smart TV, and a couple of HTPCs (spread all over the house).

Thankx every one for help me...any good dealer in Delhi/NCR for sound system with good variety and yes reputed.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back