Soundbar's Woofer has 'headachy' bass.

gyaani

Got Samsung Soundbar 150W 2.1Ch HW-K350 | Manual - PDF - 7MB

During some portions a 'hoooo ... hooooo' OR 'Ghooo Ghooo ' sound comes from the sub. Like something from a horror movie. I definitely find it unpleasant to the point of finding it headachy. Have no experience with such powerful stuff or even a woofer, so don't even know if there is a physical fault or its just design or bad config or positioning.

I Tried :
- In Equalizer: reduced/playedWith '150' value . Equalizer doesn't have anything lower
- Reduced BaSS to -6, SUBWOOfer to -12 but the problem remains.
- Moved sub away from wall, 1 feet or so.
- covered back of sub with pillow. Desperation.

Sub is huge btw. In my room, it stands out alot. Connected to Tata Sky digital dolby audio via toslink
Without the sub, the headachy bass is gone, but the soundbar's sound is so so boring.

What else can I do ?

During some portions a 'hoooo ... hooooo' OR 'Ghooo Ghooo ' sound comes from the sub. Like something from a horror movie. I definitely find it unpleasant to the point of finding it headachy. Have no experience with such powerful stuff or even a woofer, so don't even know if there is a physical fault or its just design or bad config or positioning.

I Tried :
- In Equalizer: reduced/playedWith '150' value . Equalizer doesn't have anything lower

Sub is huge btw. In my room, it stands out alot. Connected to Tata Sky digital dolby audio via toslink
Without the sub, the headachy bass is gone, but the soundbar's sound is so so boring.

What else can I do ?

Hi

The higher models (450 onwards) have better subs ....from a soundbar perspective, you honestly cant expect the best performance....if you have auditioned before purchase and it does not remotely even sound the same, you have every right to return it and formally complain to Samsung India who I believe will listen and send someone across to check this (provided its under warranty).

Soundbars are strictly meant to enhance the TV volumes especially of Flat panels which cannot house good speakers and output.....it is unfortunate that some feel that soundbars are the best solution to a regular 5.1 HT setup and go headlong for the same expecting the soundbar to deliver like a regular 5.1......the caveat here is that space can be constrain for some and hence the soundbar or budget issues or to avoid the complex wire clutter of a 5.1 system.

I personally feel that the sub may have some issue......have you tried other channels which output good levels of audio and SQ? Is it the same experience?

I Tried :

What else can I do ?

Gyaaniji,

Set Top Box Sound cannot be trusted completely.
Can you try connecting your system to some other source like a CD player and play some nice and original content?
Do report back.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Thanks all, I also feel the speaker system must be at fault.

I tried with downloaded movies , aux cable on coaxial port to mi box (android) . Same result.
This time after really analyzing this sub booms on specific parts on the movie where there should just not be any noticeable sub sound. Not sure if I am making sense..

Got it from croma.com. Return/replace for defective products is available. Not sure if they will accept it as defective..

Samsung Technician came. Said
"nothings wrong, subs are for this purpose only, its a passive sub, just playing back signal, sound would either go phat or work" :-/

I am noob about sound, so don't know how right he is.

Can someone play this 9 sec clip
with their woofer setup please ? At the 4 second mark, I hear a loud 'dhoom' on my sub, along with the 'ting' . Is this normal ? On regular speakers, there is no dhoom

There is thud in the track near the end. Is that what you are talking about?

I have the same sound bar. Got it free with the Samsung tv I recently purchased.
I tried to replace my Marshall speaker which I was using it as a tv speaker. The overall output was so bad that I packed the sound bar and kept in the attic. My tiny Marshall is so much better than the sound bar.
Get a higher model if possible or look for something from JBL. They are much better than the one we have.

New possibility: I can't discern any changes when the Bass level is changed... -6 to +6 .
All possibilities:
Bad speaker design
Defective piece/sub
Me not used to subs.
Bass level not changing
bad sub positioning

But am tired of all this. Would just remove the sub for now..

have the same sound bar....output was so bad
hmmm. same thoughts about the sub. Can't afford anything new right now though.

Thanks all

wow. I totally forgot about this thread, otherwise would have shared my solution/s before.

First solution: I had another F&D 2.1 speaker, which I opened and changed the fires which were going into the F&D woofer into the samsung woofer. This worked. No more gandi bass.
Second Solution: I stopped using the above setup as movie watching stopped and parents like the TV sound without any bass.
Years later I tried connecting the original soundbar+woofer and found the problem persisted.
Solution was to put in a 22ohm resistor in the cable from the soundbar to the woofer. And bingo, not only was the bass good, it also became adjustable using the remote. Changing the bass/subwoofer level actually started working!

Back