Soundstage Height Issue

Rule no. 1. If it ain't broken dont fix it.

If tweeters are angled down it will collapse the soundstage as floor is in direct path to sound waves. angling the speakers up so that they face empty area below ceiling increases soundstage.
Are you suggesting angling it slightly upwards will result in a taller soundstage?
But my main curiosity is whether raising the height of tweeters higher (than ear level) would increase the height of the soundstage. This was the OPs original query.
HT and surround sound systems position speakers all around...

Last edited:
Are you suggesting angling it slightly upwards will result in a taller soundstage?
But my main curiosity is whether raising the height of tweeters higher (than ear level) would increase the height of the soundstage. This was the OPs original query.
In my case it didn't.

Cheapest tweak ever!
Did this on a lark many months ago, and it’s stayed because I like how it sounds.
Try it with whatever’s available in the house; you’ve got nothing to lose but 10 minutes :)

5B60FD99-4E69-4893-9421-6551386A6990.jpeg

I have been told by experienced audio enthusiasts and audiophiles that higher frequencies are more “directional” than lower frequencies.

I have also heard from Subwoofer afficianadoes that two or even four SWs are better than one. And good sub reproduction helps improve sound stage in many ways.

The whole mechanics of great imaging in stereo setups is like “amruth“....holy grail....(fill in your favorite unattainable)

Looking forward to hearing more on the subject of psychoacoustics from FMs

Yes angling the speaker upwards should result in a bigger soundstage in all directions as sound will be directed upwards towards empty area. It will also result in increased bass if the speakers have rear bass ports as the bass will be radiated more towards ground. Raising the height of speaker will also help in opening up soundstage as the speaker gets away from the ground. It also helps in opening the bass. But we dont want too much height for tweeter. Raising above ear level is not good i think but would depend on the tweeter dispersion. Speakers in my case dont have good vertical dispersion, so even inches of movement makes the sound worse.

Yes angling the speaker upwards should result in a bigger soundstage in all directions as sound will be directed upwards towards empty area. It will also result in increased bass if the speakers have rear bass ports as the bass will be radiated more towards ground. Raising the height of speaker will also help in opening up soundstage as the speaker gets away from the ground. It also helps in opening the bass.
Pardon me, but if it were to do all good and no bad, wouldn’t the speaker manufacturers themselves angle their tweeters (and bass ports) accordingly?

Pardon me, but if it were to do all good and no bad, wouldn’t the speaker manufacturers themselves angle their tweeters (and bass ports) accordingly?

No its not better, soundstage is just bigger or larger or narrower relative to standard dead vertical position. Angling backwards may also result in perceiving less high frequencies as tweeters are not directly projected at ears. It will depend on your room also whether you like or not. If you like it it would be good of course. Dalis i had previously i liked them angled back a little but my current speakers i like them dead straight. Honestly its all about how the room interacts with sound as room is itself half of the overall sound.

That said many speakers do compensate keeping their tweeters a little more far away in distance from listener than from woofers to reduce timing differences, if we angle down or above it may also create some timing difference, its all about where the listener is, where the tweeter is and how room influences the sound. But who listens at the so called magic point. I sometime listen lying down on the floor when i always remember my old short bookshelves which were close to ground with no bass.

Last edited:
Yes some manufacturers already do that for few models. Eg. Pmc, Monitor audio....

Speaker rake angle do make an impact on the height of the soundstage. Check out this video
This helped me a lot in better placement for my speakers

After spending considerable time trying to define the sound stage in my stereo system (too much time) I have reached the conclusion I prefer better quality of depth in the sound stage to increased height of the image (if I had to choose between them)

My visualizations of performers are all in one plane/stage/floor, some nearer than others and spread out across the horizontal plane.

I did consider that sometimes recording mikes are suspended overhead, but still...

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back