Soundstage in pure direct not so good

Dear FM, coming back to original post, Pure Direct is meant to analog input to bypass DSP (avoiding double conversion) although it works for other modes.

Listening stereo (on AVR) on pure direct will make it bland because no room correction and frequency equalization. I always use 'STRAIGH' mode (Yamaha) for stereo listening.

Pure Direct is meant to analog input to bypass DSP (avoiding double conversion) although it works for other modes.
The problem is that AVR will use ADC to make volume control to work and again DAC will be done.So is there be point to use a good source to get serious sound out claimed by source manufacturer?
Do we get real analog sound from avr that way?
One may get a good stereo system if he is serious music lover.

The problem is that AVR will use ADC to make volume control to work and again DAC will be done.So is there be point to use a good source to get serious sound out claimed by source manufacturer?
With stereo systems usually not having room correction (except perhaps very expensive units like Anthem), what is your opinion on listening to a stereo system that is not corrected for room characteristics? Perhaps, I think that’s why audiophiles invest on cables, bass traps, roll tubes or frequently upgrade their hardware.

With stereo systems usually not having room correction (except perhaps very expensive units like Anthem), what is your opinion on listening to a stereo system that is not corrected for room characteristics? Perhaps, I think that’s why audiophiles invest on cables, bass traps, roll tubes or frequently upgrade their hardware.
Most of us host our stereo system in the same space as the living room.
So very little chance of any treatment. Maybe some external device like miniDSP may help.
In reality we try to find the best we can get with what we have in hand and learn to live with it.
As long as one understands the short-comings of our rig/room, it'll work out most of the time.

Cheers,
Raghu

My response in bold.

The problem is that AVR will use ADC to make volume control to work and again DAC will be done.

Digital volume control do not need A/D. Even stereo amplifiers have digital volume control. It is actually switched resistor network controlled by cMOS switches.

So is there be point to use a good source to get serious sound out claimed by source manufacturer?

Agreed. In my case I stream DSD, flack, mp3 directly to AVR and I'm quite satisfied.

Do we get real analog sound from avr that way?

It is rare now a days but it can come from external DAC/DSP and I want to use only power amp of the AVR.

Still need to add equalizer analog or DSP for the room correction if you are that serious.

Most of us host our stereo system in the same space as the living room.
So very little chance of any treatment. Maybe some external device like miniDSP may help.
In reality we try to find the best we can get with what we have in hand and learn to live with it.
As long as one understands the short-comings of our rig/room, it'll work out most of the time.

Cheers,
Raghu
I miss the good old tone controls that seem to have almost disappeared on today’s stereo systems. They offered some basic correction. It might also reflect the current trend in the audiophile community: of keeping the audio signal pure.

This is why I am a sucker for tone/balance controls
The same rig will sound different in another room, even in your own home
In audio, vaastu matters :p

In all @Love4sound expts, it seems clear that the most enjoyable listening experience he got was with some amount of EQ/tone control out of the AVR

Cheers,
Raghu

Very true, don't know why the tone controls are missing in many of today's integrated amps when source direct button is also there. They at least help to tweak the not so good recordings to a certain extent.

Dear FM, coming back to original post, Pure Direct is meant to analog input to bypass DSP (avoiding double conversion) although it works for other modes.

Listening stereo (on AVR) on pure direct will make it bland because no room correction and frequency equalization. I always use 'STRAIGH' mode (Yamaha) for stereo listening.
Yes I am aware of what pure direct mode is. Actually in pure direct music was more dynamic and not bland. Only while using dsp it sounds flat. Now I listen in stereo mode with some tweaks and now it’s almost good as my previous sound stage. Even in pure direct mode Denon let’s you configure in a way that sub also to be used and this also seems to work good now. Previously I never needed the sub.

Very true, don't know why the tone controls are missing in many of today's integrated amps when source direct button is also there. They at least help to tweak the not so good recordings to a certain extent.
I think the primary reason was cost and second was one less thing to deal with.
After this decision was made, the "pure signal" spin was invented for marketing/justification.
Cheers,
Raghu

I think the primary reason was cost and second was one less thing to deal with.
After this decision was made, the "pure signal" spin was invented for marketing/justification.
Cheers,
Raghu

Very true. One of the relatively recent integrated amps which looks comprehensive with controls though on the expensive side is the Parasound Hint 6. It has the tone controls with dedicated subwoofer connection with a crossover knob which truly helps people with small bookshelf fronts looking for good 2.1 music.

Very true. One of the relatively recent integrated amps which looks comprehensive with controls though on the expensive side is the Parasound Hint 6. It has the tone controls with dedicated subwoofer connection with a crossover knob which truly helps people with small bookshelf fronts looking for good 2.1 music.
Parasound is one of the few companies that has retained a lot of user control options.
My signature will reveal why I love this company.
I may be gunning for 200INT, their latest budget offering :D
Cheers,
Raghu

My response in bold.
Most of the time stereo amps used motorized volume pot which is not digital way.So input signal is not changed or processed..
AVR is works differently-

Last edited:
A good system will sound pleasant without additional room corrections.Room treatment is better solution to me.
A treated room perhaps can make a variety of audio devices sound better. I think provided one has a dedicated audio room and enough budget, room treatment seems like the best (and expensive?) solution.

A treated room perhaps can make a variety of audio devices sound better. I think provided one has a dedicated audio room and enough budget, room treatment seems like the best (and expensive?) solution.
There are many videos on room treatment which may not be expensive.Avoid or treat first reflection point.Try to damp corners of wall.Adding curtains and carpet in room also can do the job to certain level.

Parasound is one of the few companies that has retained a lot of user control options.
My signature will reveal why I love this company.
I may be gunning for 200INT, their latest budget offering :D
Cheers,
Raghu

It is a very interesting power packed 110 watts @ 8 or 4 ohms amp in such a slim package, wow hard to believe. Class D with sweet warm sound as per reviews. It has subwoofer connections with crossover too. Tone controls seem to be missing on this one.
Anyways great choice Raghu, it seems to be well-reviewed & sanely priced at least abroad.

Regards,
Nitin

It is a very interesting power packed 110 watts @ 8 or 4 ohms amp in such a slim package, wow hard to believe. Class D with sweet warm sound as per reviews. It has subwoofer connections with crossover too. Tone controls seem to be missing on this one.
Anyways great choice Raghu, it seems to be well-reviewed & sanely priced at least abroad.

Regards,
Nitin
Tone, balance controls are present.
On the unit, one needs to push the input select knob.
On remote, there are separate buttons.

The SW out and control is also very handy.

Cheers,
Raghu

Tone, balance controls are present.
On the unit, one needs to push the input select knob.
On remote, there are separate buttons.

The SW out and control is also very handy.

Cheers,
Raghu

Yes, was seeing its review on youtube by Joe Finn. It has treble & bass on the remote too as you have mentioned. Actually sometime back I was interested in a simple integrated amp which sounds a little on the warmer side which I could integrate with the HT setup without any complication. Had shortlisted Peachtree Nova 300 & didn't mind preowned as my budget was a little tight. Though the Peachtree had HT bypass but the Peachtree representative did not recommend connecting the Sub to it & I do not have high level connections on my sub. So for the time being stopped thinking about it & let the issue rest.
The Nova 300 & this Parasound model were generally being recommended & both are class D amps & seem to be on the warmer side as per the reviews. Thanks to you now the interest in an integrated got rekindled.:)

Regards,
Nitin

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back