sourcing a cheap 2 way active crossover

greenhorn

Is there any source to get hold of a cheap (<1K) 2/3 way crossover circuit(built or kit)

I am planning to build a bi-amped FAST setup with a philips hiq driver & an ahuja 12" LF with active crossover (somewhere between 250 & 100Hz).

Most of the LPF/subwoofer circuits am seeing have no HPF, and the LPF is mono.

I am beginning to think its cheaper to breadboard a state variable filter
State Variable Filters

any alternatives I may have missed out :/

Hi Greenhorn,

I remember in the old days, a philips crossover was available within 500 - 1000....ofcourse all this was at the electronics market ...Lamington road....now i am sure there would be a variety of crossovers of different brands available...

You may want to check online options......

I have a spare pcb from my previous project. Its a 12db filter after rod elliots design but it has fixed xo point. Its really simple to make three opamps and some caps and resistors.

thanks, that should do great. I'm still waiting for the woofers to come in stock. Will ping you once everything else falls in place.

KMTech from UK sells some quality stuffs IMHO. They are highly regarded in Diyaudio forum. Here's the link for 2 way 12db/octave x-over kit.

2 Channel 2 Way 12nu llOcta veActi veCrossov erFilt erKmte chNE55 32D IYK | eBay

They have some assembled kit/diy kit/pcb for 2/3 way 12db/24db per octave. I guess they have some NE5532/OPA2134 variants as well. Do visit their store.

I am not related to them anyway.

FM Sumanta is also using similar driver setup (in his beloved OB). You can check with him as well.

I saw them, but I'm still at the prototype stage, and am not sure how to cross over. I had seen some boards similar to the KMtech boards on diyaudiocart for a tenth of the price- that would have been a good idea, and looking at something like that .

I would like to limit my upgrade budget, and spending 30% of it (currently = 2.3K for 400W PSU for T amp, 4.2K for ahuja drivers) on crossover board i could probably build myself - no thanks - I'd rather stick to a breadboard.

In diy audio, there is a circuit and PCB layout for 2 way active crossover with variable freq. uses a single quad op AMP. search it mic,preamps and filters thread. The designer is mile slakovich, in the name of apex audio. I have not built this, but built another of his design with good results. I shall try to send you a link soon.

Greenhorn,
I would suggest to use a 15" instead of 12" if you are crossing closer to 200 Hz.

Try to have around 6~7 dB SPL gap between Philips and Ahuja. which probably is the reason for you to with this driver.

I would suggest to get it from a vendor who in general are professional and courteous enough.
I have burnt my fingers, wasted more than six months in waiting to get a similar one (very similar) from someone from Kolkata I knew in this DIY field.

The active that I have now (a gift from a friend from Portblair, when he listened what I had been through while trusting someone to get such a xover from Kolkata) has opened up the whole system to a new level of precise, open, clearer sound that I could only imagine till now. I am enjoying my system much more.

Philips HiQ is little more mesmerizing for female vocals as T Anthony once said.

I wish Chennai is closer to Mumbai than it actually is.

Happy listening.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back