Spawn full range

jaudere

Hello friends,

Has anyone auditioned fullrange speaker in this kind of cabinet?

The Spawn Family of Double Horns

Seem too simple to build

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/download/Chang-MBVR-map-170608.pdf
the frequency-amplitude graph also seems okay. but can't understand why it has been shown only upto 1000Hz

I would like to know if someone has really heard these playing.

I was reading about multiway speakers and cross overs and stumbled upon these models. when i brought my first 2 way speaker pair some 6 years back (locally made box ) , i by chance, listened to a pair of full range drives by philips. the sound was too good but that time i was blinded by the appeal of 2 way and went for it.
the full range speakers , in theory look good and i read many psitive reviews including one by Venkat. so i want to experiment. will be getting philips pair soon.

so let me know your opinion.

Hi,
Thanks for that very useful site! As it happens, I am looking for cab designs for a full-range as well. The fly in the ointment is that most of the cabs (including the Sachiko from this website) seem to be a bit too big and also I'm not sure if I can get a local carpenter to do it without goofing it up. I am at this time considering mounting the driver in a bass-reflex box...

Hi,

which design you have in mind? I would either go for the following double horn

or for the double bass reflex enclosure for Fostex Fe 207 given on fostex site. I have contacted Scott Lindgren of Frugal horn site and he seems to be very helpful.

By the way, which drivers are you going to use? I am restricted to whatever is available which means that it is going to be Philips, 8 ohm, 8" full range. someone purchased it for me today in Pune for Rs 500 for a pair.

partsexpress.com can deliver to India. I think even madisound can. Group orders can be placed to distribute cost of shipping.

Hi,

which design you have in mind? I would either go for the following double horn...

...By the way, which drivers are you going to use?...

I am, at this time, thinking of an FE206E but the Sachiko double-horn for it looks a little too big for me. If I do manage to get a good carpenter, I'd probably mount it on an FE208E-Sigma Fostex cab else I might go for the commonsenseaudio.com design bass reflex cabs. I am still trying to research a bit on other plans as well as a few other drivers so nothing is set in stone...

hi grubyhalo

have you seen the amplitude-frequency graph of sachiko? i didn't like it.
I would probably go for Nagaoka style. but i am thinking of giving a try for the open baffle as well. doing some research.

hi grubyhalo

have you seen the amplitude-frequency graph of sachiko? i didn't like it.
I would probably go for Nagaoka style. but i am thinking of giving a try for the open baffle as well. doing some research.

No, I didn't look at the response of the Sachiko before, it does look a tad scary. I had read a few very good opinions on the Sachiko and hence was interested in it. However I can't imagine a Sachiko-sized (or any other Nagaoka horn) horn in my living room, it's just too big. The Half Chang and Half Chili look interesting to me but then I'd have to go for a 207E or a 167E driver, which could work out for me 'cuz my other option of building an FE208E Sigma enclosure would need 6 sheets of ply for a pair! :annoyed: Just the thought of handling the weight of 6 sheets of 18mm ply is slightly :eek: for me. I'm also interested in this design which seems to be a bit more back friendly, so let's see. I guess it would all boil down to what appeals to me the best after researching on the 206E (some more!), the 207E, 166/7E, the Half Chili, the Half Chang and the MJ King MLTL design...

P.S: My next project (if I complete this one) might be a full-range OB, probably using the P-Audio CXA co-ax with either a twin Eminence Alpha or GR Research servo drivers. Well for now the project is completely in my head, but let's see where insanity leads me next...:D

Hey Jaudere,
I read your quote. I am interested in the same full range philips drivers for a diy project. Could you tell me from where I can purchase them in pune? I stay in mumbai.
Can you provide me with the tech specs on the same? I was thinking of using this for a tnt audio speaker design for a single driver speaker.

Thanks..

Hi,

which design you have in mind? I would either go for the following double horn

or for the double bass reflex enclosure for Fostex Fe 207 given on fostex site. I have contacted Scott Lindgren of Frugal horn site and he seems to be very helpful.

By the way, which drivers are you going to use? I am restricted to whatever is available which means that it is going to be Philips, 8 ohm, 8" full range. someone purchased it for me today in Pune for Rs 500 for a pair.

hi madjack,

do you know central Pune (original city)? if yes, you must be knwoing Shaniwarwada and Dagadusheth Ganapati. Midway between that there was a cinema hall called Vasant talikes ( opposite to Prakash departmental stores). the talkies is no longer there. there is a shop opposite the Prakash departmental store (where the cinema hall used to be)which sells original philips speakers. it's not on the road but you have to go to te ground floor of the building. I hope i have not scared you by giving you an address like this.:D
sorry, i don't have the phone no. neither can I remember the name of the shop. i had visited this shop 6 years back. my dad bought the spekers for me 2 days back. i told him the address in the same way as above and he found the shop.:yahoo:I stay in village on Mumbai Goa highway .

but tell me one thing, you are from Mumbai. have you tried Lamington road? i love that road and i do a lot of window shopping there whenever i go to mumbai. you can get almost anything there.

Specs? What I have is philips 200mm high Q speaker, 25 W P max, frequency range: 55 to 22kHZ. code no CTN 48002. No TS Parameter mentioned.

that person has 6 " spekers as well.

Hi grubyhalo,

I am getting inclined towards the Orion speakers. (without the tweeter) given on linkwitz lab website. what do you think?

Hai,

One of my friend having a shop at Ritchie street Chennai told me that Philips speakers manufacturing unit has been taken over by Boston Acoustics very recently. He was also having sample of 8 inch full range , it looked very impressive. I have heard Philips Full range during my school days , they sounded very nice. By this move I think we can expect some good quality budget drivers for DIY speaker enthusiasts.

Thanks ,

N Murali

Hi grubyhalo,

I am getting inclined towards the Orion speakers. (without the tweeter) given on linkwitz lab website. what do you think?

Well, my DIY dreams started with the Orions, but however you need to realize the components are expensive AND they are 3-way active design, so you need 6 channels of amplification. I would probably start off with a simpler design like using a full-range driver with a couple of bass drivers like the Eminence Alpha in an OB...

hey grubyhalo,

i am not talking about active speakers at all. i like the design. the full ranger in open baffle and bass in H frame. BTW i am doubtfull about that H fame performance given that the locally made drivers which i may use don't have details on it.. so, i would probably keep full ranger in open baffle and put the sub in ported box/sealed box.(people have done it). just the looks will be same.

About the cross over,i can just put a low pass filter (coil) to pass frequencies below 250 to the bass driver and full range does not need filter if it is going to be used only for music. but yes, if it is to be used for movies, a high pass filter to filter frequencis below 60 Hz my be protective.

so this can be like a 2 way system. using 1st order cross over at 200 Hz will naturally allow some overlap.

my problem is something different. philips is 8 ohm. now how do i select the rest of the drivers so that i can get the final 6 or 8 ohm impedance? one simple way could be use 2 woofers of 4 ohm each and connect all threedrivers in parallel to get 8 ohm. but in case i don't want to use 2 woofers, what should I do? I don't want to go to the zobel thing.

Can i use a simple 4 ohm resistor in place of second woofer? so it will be philips full ranger, 1 woofer 10", 4 ohm and one simple resistor of 4 ohm attached in parallel.

from the knowledge i am gathering, resistance is not same as impedance ( due to difference in AC/DC current). so i don't know how to solve this thing.:annoyed:

...now how do i select the rest of the drivers so that i can get the final 6 or 8 ohm impedance? one simple way could be use 2 woofers of 4 ohm each and connect all threedrivers in parallel to get 8 ohm. but in case i don't want to use 2 woofers, what should I do? I don't want to go to the zobel thing.

Can i use a simple 4 ohm resistor in place of second woofer? so it will be philips full ranger, 1 woofer 10", 4 ohm and one simple resistor of 4 ohm attached in parallel.

from the knowledge i am gathering, resistance is not same as impedance ( due to difference in AC/DC current). so i don't know how to solve this thing.:annoyed:

I'm afraid it's not as straight forward as that. If you want to avoid all the crossover headache, the simplest way would be to use a plate-amp and a subwoofer below 150~100Hz. Sub plate-amps usually come with their own low-pass filter with variable cut-off frequency which would let the Phillips full range run normally using your amp...

I'm afraid it's not as straight forward as that. If you want to avoid all the crossover headache, the simplest way would be to use a plate-amp and a subwoofer below 150~100Hz. Sub plate-amps usually come with their own low-pass filter with variable cut-off frequency which would let the Phillips full range run normally using your amp...

>>>>what is plate amp?

>>> I am using Yamaha RX V 361 as amp which has a sub out for active woofer. I can select crossover frequency in my Yamaha. i have kept it at 80 HZ at present. only thing is that this AVR does not support passive sub.

Have you seen 250 Hz readymade crossover by Ahuja radios?

Ahuja Sound Solutions

Today I went to Chiplun(the nearest town for me), searched all shops but could not find any person who can mobilize induction coil/capacitor for me.
the only option I have is that I can get that Ahujaa crossover, even tha is not cler.

>>>>what is plate amp?...

A plate amp is an amplifier with built-in adjustable crossover that comes with most powered sub-woofers. It will have controls to change the crossover or cut-off frequency for the subwoofer.

>>> I am using Yamaha RX V 361 as amp which has a sub out for active woofer. I can select crossover frequency in my Yamaha. i have kept it at 80 HZ at present. only thing is that this AVR does not support passive sub.

Have you seen 250 Hz readymade crossover by Ahuja radios?

Ahuja Sound Solutions

If you are planning to use the HT receiver as your amp, then you don't have to worry about another cross-over. As you have mentioned, you can just connect a sub-woofer to it and connect your Phillips full range to your L and R channels of your receiver. Ofcourse, you'd have to try different cut-off frequencies on your receiver to get a seamless integration of the sub with your full rangers. Do you already have a passive sub?

Rythmik_sub_plate_amp_close_up.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks grubyhalo for that input.

before i bought yamaha, i was using a delhi made amplifier(which does not have any specifications, price was rs 2500, so you can guess)

i also had 2 way cheap speaker boxes where the only so called crossover is capacitor for the piezoelectric tweeter. it has 10" woofer.gaian you can guess from price : rs 1300 for pair. it is now that i have understood that good music is my passion and i have started spending bit more on music including audio CDs rather than mp3 s and a better receiver in form of Yamaha Rx V361 which is still a baseline model.

i have removed tweeters from that unit and i have connected the amp to the boxes. the subwoofer out is fed to the cheap amplifier. so it is a kind of active woofer system . this completely satisfies me soundwise. what i don't like is that i have to use separate amp. if you argue otherway round, i have more flexibility with this kind of set up. you can see the snaps in the link. i don't like that black amp look. so building a horn probably will allow me to discard the sub-amp setup form the system. but it is again "probably"!!

Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum.com :: MyPhotoAlbum :: my music system

but what i am thinking now is putting those philips in open baffle, use crossover of the AVR and keep the subsystem same. may be upgrade later to better mono amp and better drivers for woofer. really a confusing decision, especially because i have never auditioned horns.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back