Speaker advice & help (Paradigm)

Venkat, thanks for the xplanation.

Everyone, I did go to BB today to audition Denon 1909 and Yamaha V663. Sadly they didn't have 663. So no luck on that. Did audition 1909 and they sounded nice. To my surprise, the sales rep in BB said, we can buy receivers (also applicable to speakers or anything) in US and take it out of the country. She said, the warranty is International. If we buy the BB plan for 100$, the warranty is xtended for 3 more yrs. So if I buy Denon 1909 from BB, I will get 4 yrs of total warranty. Sounds good rite. But I am not sure abt this. When I called up Onkyo guys, they said warranty is void,once we take it out of US. Has anybody in the forum, ever heard something like this?

Now to some technical questions (which is largely due to my ignorance)

1. Can the composite signals be upscaled to 1080 or even 720P. ( I don't think so. how will be receiver fill in the missing data..). Just curious to know.

2. When we play music through our cds which is just 2 channel - can the receiver be able to matrix it into a 5.1, so that we can listen the music in all the channels. I have read something abt this, but I don't remember. If this is possible, can Denons do it?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Venkat, thanks for the xplanation.

Everyone, I did go to BB today to audition Denon 1909 and Yamaha V663. Sadly they didn't have 663. So no luck on that. Did audition 1909 and they sounded nice. To my surprise, the sales rep in BB said, we can buy receivers (also applicable to speakers or anything) in US and take it out of the country. She said, the warranty is International. If we buy the BB plan for 100$, the warranty is xtended for 3 more yrs. So if I buy Denon 1909 from BB, I will get 4 yrs of total warranty. Sounds good rite. But I am not sure abt this. When I called up Onkyo guys, they said warranty is void,once we take it out of US. Has anybody in the forum, ever heard something like this?

I have had experience and so have others where the Indian counterparts refuse to honor international warranty. Better to check with them firsthand.

Now to some technical questions (which is largely due to my ignorance)

1. Can the composite signals be upscaled to 1080 or even 720P. ( I don't think so. how will be receiver fill in the missing data..). Just curious to know.

Depends on the AVR, but most will upscale to HD only via HDMI cable.

2. When we play music through our cds which is just 2 channel - can the receiver be able to matrix it into a 5.1, so that we can listen the music in all the channels. I have read something abt this, but I don't remember. If this is possible, can Denons do it?

Thanks.

Yup, all AVRs will do this, but in stereo mode/all channels mode i.e. all sounds will be output via all speakers at the same time and you will not hear the output in true 5.1 or 7.1.

I have had experience and so have others where the Indian counterparts refuse to honor international warranty. Better to check with them firsthand.

Thanks Mose. I was definitely not in favour of bringing in any elecronics brought in US for use in India, unless they r plug n play (with 110-240 range). I feel its too much of a hassle, let alone the warranty..

Yup, all AVRs will do this, but in stereo mode/all channels mode i.e. all sounds will be output via all speakers at the same time and you will not hear the output in true 5.1 or 7.1.

When I asked the sales rep abt this, she was hell bent that, we need a DVD audio to listen the music in all channels. I was telling her that we would need a DVD audio (or a DTS encoded music format) only to get the 5.1 experience, but all the receivers should be able to send the same output to all channels rather than just the Fronts. Anyhow thx for clarifying it.

Saravana,

Dont mix and match fronts and centers, go with fronts and centers of the same brand and for the surrounds you can compromise with others.

Im a great fan of paradigm and I recently bought Paradigm Studio 60s. And if you are looking to buy paradigm, the best receiver that would go really well with it would be marantz or NAD. Ive auditioned denons, yammys, Pio Elite with paradigms - Marantz and NAD sounded the best. I do 50% music and 50% HT. And I would really advice you against, getting a 110 v receiver and using a xformer on it to do 220 volts. Current supply in chennai sucks and you dont get very good xformers in chennai. I advice you to buy a receiver with warranty in chennai. You get marantz with 3 years warranty in chennai. Quality of service may not be upto the mark, but you are better off running the receiver with 220 v and run less risks of damaging it due to fluctuating current conditions.

Hi saravanansuri,
If HT has been your childhood dream, like mine, a projector has a major place in it. I would grab a 1080p projector. You can get mitsubishi or panasonic 1080p projector. I got a panasonic projector from the US from friend and it works well on Indian voltage and with any kind of connection (has pal/ ntsc/ hd compatibility).
Not sure if you will be able to carry large floorstanders with you, and even if you do, how much will the airlines charge you. Have you talked to your airlines on size of packets and their weight. Even if a packet is in permissible weight limit, it may be rejected if it is too large in any dimension.

So projector, sources, squeezebox, DAC, integrated AMP (this too can be heavy) are couple of things I would have carried with me if I was returning from the US.

If you are close to NYC, you can go to J&R: Electronics, Digital Cameras, Computers, Appliances, Software, Video Games, DVDs, CDs . 's showroom to check the stuff in person before buying it.

Two channel music can be divine if you have a good setup. If you want to get sound from all speakers, you can use DSP modes. Most of your music would be 2 channel redbook CD I assume.

regards

When I asked the sales rep abt this, she was hell bent that, we need a DVD audio to listen the music in all channels. I was telling her that we would need a DVD audio (or a DTS encoded music format) only to get the 5.1 experience, but all the receivers should be able to send the same output to all channels rather than just the Fronts. Anyhow thx for clarifying it.

For Paradigm products in India --please contact Japonica International PVt.LTd Ph.no. +91 33 24743968

Hi guys, Joined the forum couple of days back. First a big thanks to everyone using this forum to share this really helpful information.

Am currently in US and will be leaving next month. Planning to set up a HT in my home (childhood dream).. Am not in favour of buying receivers from US due to the voltage, warranty (so much other crap...)

Have planned to buy Paradigm Cinema 110 LRC and Paradigm Cinema 90 (for my rears) for a 5.1 setup. What do you guys feel abt this. Am planning to pair it with Denon 1909 or 2309 (if price diff is not too much)... Any idea abt the performance...

I auditioned the Paradigm and they sound really good. I will have to find a Sub that goes well with the paradigms once i get back to Chennai. need help on this pls....

dear members, am looking for speakers not necessarily with 5.1 for mainly listening to songs from the late 70s and 80s era that too regional.since most of my song collection is in MP3 FORMAT and stored in my PC, I REQUEST YOU TO SUGGEST A GOOD AND SUITABLE SPEAKERS FOR THE SAME including the compatibilty aspect with my PC .my budget should around 25 k. indian rupees.also kindly tell me whether an amp is a must to go along with the speakers.thanks.visu

since ur requirement is mainly for PC listening i would advice u to get good sound card such as XONAR(if u dont have already) and hook it with with a decent pair of bookshelves. Get started here:
"http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/5121-favourite-speakers-under-inr-20k.html"
Also look in the HTPC section, you would some inputs on the sound card/speaker setup from there.

Hi guys, Joined the forum couple of days back. First a big thanks to everyone using this forum to share this really helpful information.

Am currently in US and will be leaving next month. Planning to set up a HT in my home (childhood dream).. Am not in favour of buying receivers from US due to the voltage, warranty (so much other crap...)

Have planned to buy Paradigm Cinema 110 LRC and Paradigm Cinema 90 (for my rears) for a 5.1 setup. What do you guys feel abt this. Am planning to pair it with Denon 1909 or 2309 (if price diff is not too much)... Any idea abt the performance...

I auditioned the Paradigm and they sound really good. I will have to find a Sub that goes well with the paradigms once i get back to Chennai. need help on this pls....

For Paradigm speaker in India -(full range) ask Japonica International Pvt.Ltd. 033 24743968

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back