speaker and amp 25k - 30k

nazreth

hi,
cud u suggest a 2 or 2.1 setup with amp that costs around 25-30k.
my room size is about 400 sq. ft., music i enjoy is mainly rock.
thnx.

2 or 2.1 setup with amp that costs around 25-30k.
my room size is about 400 sq. ft., music i enjoy is mainly rock.
thnx.

PM4001 + Diamonds 9.1 or CA 340A + Avant 902i

Hopefully this should leave you with enough money within your budget to assemble a pair of good stands (and fancy cables if you believe in them).

Cheers.

for a 400 sq ft room.
Please do look at norge as an amp , you can consider their speakers too.
why am i saying norge?
well their amps are good and powerful and your room size is largish and you are on a tight budget
.you would require bass to fill your room and hence warfedale diamond 9.2 would be wiser INMO

i will be auditioning a pair of M33i soon i will advice if they are suitable after that

in a budget warfedale / cambridge are decent.
but if you wish to increase a bit then a lot of options open up

hi,
i've checked out the wharfdales and didnt quite like how they sound,
i preferred the kef iq 5 speakers but they're way too xp. prefer speakers with better mids.

hi,
i've checked out the wharfdales and didnt quite like how they sound,
i preferred the kef iq 5 speakers but they're way too xp. prefer speakers with better mids.

hmm.
then only the KEF IQ1 will fit your budget i think MRP is 18.5 K but a 2 K dsc was offered
i personally liked the KEF IQ1 more than the warfedales
yes and they do emphasis the mids as you like

where can i get sherwood+mission to audition. the combo price is pretty attractive.
regards

Read in another post that most of your collection is mp3. How do you listen to music right now? For mp3s a CDP really does not give great output (music sounds very dead and flat) and even an amp will do very little to improve SQ especially if the bitrates are low.

Read in another post that most of your collection is mp3. How do you listen to music right now? For mp3s a CDP really does not give great output (music sounds very dead and flat) and even an amp will do very little to improve SQ especially if the bitrates are low.

well, i have to start all over again. As far as indian music is considered i am planning to buy audio CDs as they are affordable. when it comes to western music i need to copy from my friends or download from net in flac lossless format. thats the plan as of now, from the knowledge i gathered from the friends here.

mumbai .i will arrange this

thanks, as i am from hydbad, i can ask if any of my friends r going to mumbai, to take an audition of the combo.
both the amp and speakers available at one place for audition?
can u give the detials of the shop n contact number.
alternately i can even ask to courier it to hydbad.

regards

Do you have a PC? If so upgrading the HDD, sound card and investing in a good pair of powered speakers like Audioengine A5 will do the trick and your entire mp3 collection too will not be a loss. This will prove a better route in the long run and work out cheaper than a CDP, amp, speakers, etc.

Finally it all comes down to enjoying music. You might not have a great setup but if you still enjoy mp3s then its great. You don't really need to upgrade everything and start collecting audio CDs since that's the "audiophile standard". Don't get into that cycle... it's a never ending journey.

Do you have a PC? If so upgrading the HDD, sound card and investing in a good pair of powered speakers like Audioengine A5 will do the trick and your entire mp3 collection too will not be a loss. This will prove a better route in the long run and work out cheaper than a CDP, amp, speakers, etc.

Finally it all comes down to enjoying music. You might not have a great setup but if you still enjoy mp3s then its great. You don't really need to upgrade everything and start collecting audio CDs since that's the "audiophile standard". Don't get into that cycle... it's a never ending journey.

"audiophile standard". Don't get into that cycle... it's a never ending journey.

Well, I cant agree more with you on this.

I believe we are not geared up for the Audiophile journey, infrastructure wise and affordability wise. most of the stuff is not even available for audition

Even though your PC idea sounds interesting, I am not too keen to go that way.

I have narrowed down to this choice

Oppo 980 (10K) + Norge/Sherwood amp (10K) + Mission 33i/34i (18K) + cables (5k) = 43K.

I am also looking at craftel, chenna, 12 floor standing speakers (7K) posted in one of the threads in this forum. That will bring down my set up cost further. I asked my cousin in Chennai to audition the speakers.
As of now I am inclined to go with the best of the locally made stuff ( Indian Make).

I am still trying to optimize my set up, price n SQ wise.

Regards
rao

I sincerely suggest you to purchase something you listen to and like. As much as you respect other's opinion, you should like it at the end of it all.

i perfectly agree with you. as sound is a highly subjective issue one should not buy anything without self auditioning.

Last edited:
Rao,

Visit Croma in Madhapur and take a look at the Yamaha 5.1 HT System on display there. It costs around 43K or so. Music/movies are good on it and that too played via a Philips DVDP and via RCA cables. I auditioned it for a friend. Only thing lacking is a DVDP as part of the deal but any budget DVDP with digital out will serve the purpose. Do take a look at it. SQ was pretty good on it.

BTW, I also wanted to add that this package comes with two FS in the 5.1 speaker package unlike the BS that come in all entry level HTIBs of Onkyo, Philips, etc.

Last edited:
Rao,

Visit Croma in Madhapur and take a look at the Yamaha 5.1 HT System on display there. It costs around 43K or so. Music/movies are good on it and that too played via a Philips DVDP and via RCA cables. I auditioned it for a friend. Only thing lacking is a DVDP as part of the deal but any budget DVDP with digital out will serve the purpose. Do take a look at it. SQ was pretty good on it.

BTW, I also wanted to add that this package comes with two FS in the 5.1 speaker package unlike the BS that come in all entry level HTIBs of Onkyo, Philips, etc.

thanks for the info. well, looks like an attractive offer. i would certainly make a visit. do u remember the model NO of above yamaha 5.1 and what make are the speakers.
regards

I think the AVR from Yamaha was 363, not sure about the speakers package, but it had an active subwoofer. The thing is I was going through the Onkyo 5100 for a friend and a movie clip was being played on the Onkyo for the demo. At the same time music was being played on the Yamaha with someone else auditioning it and it sounded good and even I ventured across to check out the Yamaha. While no audiophile grade in terms of SQ it still was pretty good with the music despite being a 5.1 system. It does warrant a visit to Croma so do venture out and take a look for yourself. Do carry your own favorite CDs/music with you.

I am flying down to Chennai today, should be back by the weekend. Let me know if you want me to accompany you for the audition on the weekend. If I am back and can come then I will join in.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back