speaker and subwoofer placement

Sandesh

Would appreciate help in correct placement of the speakers and side firing active Onkyo skw-320 subwoofer in my room. Unfortunately I can't place the bar unit on the left side anywhere, so it's stuck there and I need some space to open the cupboard on the other side. I have space only in front. P:S- asking completely as a noob...so please be gentle with me :)

Attachments

• skw-320.jpg
    skw-320.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 68
  • room.jpg
    room.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 73
Would appreciate help in correct placement of the speakers and side firing active Onkyo skw-320 subwoofer in my room. Unfortunately I can't place the bar unit on the left side anywhere, so it's stuck there and I need some space to open the cupboard on the other side. I have space only in front. P:S- asking completely as a noob...so please be gentle with me :)
Best way is to do sub crawl method. You need to place the sub at your seating position and crawl at all the positions where you have the liberty to place the subwoofer.

One of the best place for a single sub could the middle of room width along front wall.. Your present placement seems just right.. But if you want to movie it front wall, get it closer to middle of the room (if that is possible)..

Hello,

The first thing you need to do is to raise your speaker height, unless you plan on sitting low on ground.

As i see it, the best option is to get rid of the small cupboard on left side of your TV. The turntable can be relocated on the unit below the TV. With this, you will have enough space to accommodate all 3 speakers at front wall.

If not, you still can relocate the turntable to unit below TV. Place your left speaker over the cupboard, where you have the turntable currently. For right speaker, you need to squeeze between the right cupboard and tv unit, while still deciding how to raise the speaker height.

Hi sandesh :)

Sorry at the outset as I couldn't make out much of your system in those dark light pics :)

For a proper sub integration, there are two things needed to nail It completely :

1. Time alignment with main speakers...means they have to be at the same distance from your main listening position as your sound bar. Any differences here...and you will always have disconnected bass :D

2. Alignment with your room ...as @Love4sound already aptly suggested, you need to do a sub crawl. Please check it up on Google.

In order to achieve both the above marks, I would suggest your goodselves to measure your distance to the sound bar. And then draw a circle with chalk on your floor of that exact radius. Now please do the sub crawl with the sub placed on different locations of this radia circle. If you find an ideal location for the sub that is not practically feasable. Then since you cannot move the sound bar...move your seating position, to get a different circle to place the sub for your room crawl again. Sorry this takes a lot of back grease....but no easy fixes in this hobby ever :D

All AVR's do time alignment...so the distance doesn't matter. However it seems to be different in your case.....and I didn't even do a sub room crawl for fear that my wife will kill me if I placed that ugly box in the center of the room :D

Cheers and all the best my friend :)

How do I figure it out since it's a side firing one?

Seems, your sub is sealed?.. Don't think the firing side matters.. Anyways, keep the firing sides facing the side walls of the room (or) try to keep one side facing the listening position.. Settle for whichever sounds best to you..

1. Easiest way to do subwoofer crawl is, keep the subwoofer at your listening position and you crawl along the perimeter of the room. The place you get the loudest bass, is where you can Place your subwoofer.

2. If you can't do this due to feasibility reasons, the 2nd best option is to place the subwoofer in any of the corners, front corners is preferable followed by back.
3. Anywhere along the front wall is the last best option.

In your case, I'd get rid of the chest drawer on the left from listening area , and place the sub at that corner. It'll give you a relatively symmetrical option to place your speakers correctly as well.
Also you will have to use a small stands to raise your front speakers to ear level to get optimum listening experience.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back