Speaker cables - Bare copper vs. tinned copper

Malvai, Jacob usually uses flat wire for internal wiring. I don’t know what he’s used in Bhava. If he’s used flat wire, try Goertz.

When I had Saadhanas, I liked WE 16 awg speaker cable and Belden 8402 ic.You can try that combo too.

I think there will be problems in the bass which in turn messes up other frequencies. With tinned copper, upper bass is very nice. With high powered amps and low sensitivity speakers, the bass won’t be well controlled by the tinned copper cables.

I received this cable a couple of days ago and it has made my jaw drop in amazement. Every aspect of the sq is so much better. At last, my Kinki has a hint of the Swiss sound that Srajen speaks about and my Spendors the warmth and richness that I had only dreamed of. Of course, YMMV, but at Rs.120 a metre, you will not regret trying it. If you do, let me know how it sounds in your setup.
I couldn't find any reviews on the net, but bought it merely on the basis of the specs and the dealer's recommendation.

Cheers!
I am always interested to try out the locally available options. Keen to try out the Auvio (although not available locally) and this Euroclear cable. Spoke to Kiran Sales today. I use high sensitivity speakers with tubes so keen to see what this might bring in.

Could you post a picture or two of this cable? Interested to see how the build quality, construction, etc. is. Nothing that I could find on the net about these.

@prem : Could you share a link from where I could source the Auvio cables in the USA or elsewhere? Thanks.

Auvio, you are likely to find it only on eBay. It’s long out of production

I am always interested to try out the locally available options. Keen to try out the Auvio (although not available locally) and this Euroclear cable. Spoke to Kiran Sales today. I use high sensitivity speakers with tubes so keen to see what this might bring in.

Could you post a picture or two of this cable? Interested to see how the build quality, construction, etc. is. Nothing that I could find on the net about these.

@prem : Could you share a link from where I could source the Auvio cables in the USA or elsewhere? Thanks.
Won't make much sense to post a picture Kartick. It's a straightforward 2.5mm cable in black pvc insulation. The construction is given in post #24 of this thread. Very rugged and flexible

I'm a big fan of Tinned Copper cables. Gorgeous tone and texture.

Tried and liked WE 16 AWG and Duelund 16 AWG (Speaker Cables)
Currently using the Belden 8477 (12 AWG)

For ICs I used the Belden 8402 with Eichmann Bullet RCA
Looking to try the Gotham cables next.

The only drawback to the tinned copper cables are that they need a lot of break in to sound their best. Duelund's have a brutal break in period where the sound swings all over the place until they settle in after about 200 hrs. Comparatively, I found the Belden's to be more even keel in terms of break in. They didn't seem to swing so wildly as the Duelund's did.

Won't make much sense to post a picture Kartick. It's a straightforward 2.5mm cable in black pvc insulation. The construction is given in post #24 of this thread. Very rugged and flexible
I din’t have any clue as to how did this cable look so had asked. Anyway, contacted Kiran Sales and they obliged by sending a picture. Looks more like an appliance cable, say the ones used in Microwaves. If you are liking the sound so much, won’t harm giving this one a try. Have you tried the Belden 8477 (12 awg) Nikhil mentions? Any merit in drawing a comparison between these two cables?

@Nikhil - How much does the 8477 cost? Is it locally available in India? Have you ever had a chance to compare the speaker cables Mr. Murthy makes vs say the 8477? Thanks.

I din’t have any clue as to how did this cable look so had asked. Anyway, contacted Kiran Sales and they obliged by sending a picture. Looks more like an appliance cable, say the ones used in Microwaves. If you are liking the sound so much, won’t harm giving this one a try. Have you tried the Belden 8477 (12 awg) Nikhil mentions? Any merit in drawing a comparison between these two cables?

@Nikhil - How much does the 8477 cost? Is it locally available in India? Have you ever had a chance to compare the speaker cables Mr. Murthy makes vs say the 8477? Thanks.

Hi Kartick,

Yes Kartick, it looks like a black appliance cable or Tatasky cable :)
I moved to this cable from Belden 8477. Have also tried Dueland in the past

Belden 8477 is available from the same dealer at around Rs. 200 a meter. You can try both or a combo and see what works best for you.

Like Prem mentioned, you need to match your choice of cable with your amp and speaker.

Best wishes

These cables are so cheap (and without compromise on sound quality) that you can also try placing your system some place other than in between speakers, which would normally be difficult to do because of high speaker cable cost.

Hi Kartick,

Yes Kartick, it looks like a black appliance cable or Tatasky cable :)
I moved to this cable from Belden 8477. Have also tried Dueland in the past

Belden 8477 is available from the same dealer at around Rs. 200 a meter. You can try both or a combo and see what works best for you.

Like Prem mentioned, you need to match your choice of cable with your amp and speaker.

Best wishes
Of course it boils down to personal taste but since I now fear hoarding stuff, if I were to give you an option to pick 8477 vs the Euro, which one would it be? Take a shot at describing their sound characteristics, if you could please.

Kartick, what is your system? Does your system give you a lot of texture? Is there anything you think is lacking? Are you happy with the tone? What music do you listen to? What cables are you using now?

Yes. But not sure if it's a fair comparison as I have Mr Murthy's cables terminated with banana plugs.
I use the Belden 8477 bare wire as I think the connectors add their own flavour to the mix.

I prefer the Belden 8477 by a large margin. Very organic and full bodied.

Regards

Of course it boils down to personal taste but since I now fear hoarding stuff, if I were to give you an option to pick 8477 vs the Euro, which one would it be? Take a shot at describing their sound characteristics, if you could please.

Hi @kartick

In my setup, I think bare copper adds a sweetness to the midrange as compared to tinned copper. In addition, the bass sounds far more even. It cuts the emphasis on upper bass and you may miss that if your prime listening is Rock.

Best

Auvio, you are likely to find it only on eBay. It’s long out of production
I had searched Ebay but what seems to be available there is Auvio's 15awg speaker cable. That will be too thin for my liking. Usually, if I have gone any thinner on the speaker wire than 14awg, it hasn't really provided me with a full bodied sound.

I had searched Ebay but what seems to be available there is Auvio's 15awg speaker cable. That will be too thin for my liking. Usually, if I have gone any thinner on the speaker wire than 14awg, it hasn't really provided me with a full bodied sound.
If it is not too expensive, buy double the length and try quad-wire
15+15 will get you 12AWG
Cheers,
Raghu

That 15 awg Auvio is not the one. It’s only the 12 awg you need to get. It has a different geometry from all other Auvio cables. It has a transparent outer. It has seven sets of strands interwoven each other.

That 15 awg Auvio is not the one. It’s only the 12 awg you need to get. It has a different geometry from all other Auvio cables. It has a transparent outer. It has seven sets of strands interwoven each other.
Ah OK. 7 strands for 12 AWG!!
They are thick strands.

Cheers,
Raghu

No. There are many fine strands which make one set. Like these there are seven sets which are interwoven. I don’t know if the individual thin strands in each set is also interwoven

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back