Speaker Choices

ajayk

Hi,

I am trying to setup a 5.1, later expand to a 7.1, speaker setup. I started with the Onkyo HTIB S5100, but after some reading on this forum, I felt the need to get a little more serious. :)

Room Dimensions: 11x23
Usage Movies/Music: 50:50
Budget: 50-60K (For speakers)

I have auditioned the Wharfedale 9.5s, 9.2s, center and SW150. Also heard the evo and achromatic series. Evo sounded the best, but way over my league. I liked the Diamonds too though.

I also heard the Polk and KEF at Profx, but neither really blew me away.

Then went to ezone and checked out the Jamo 606s and Elac. The Jamos for some reason lacked the punch, I dont know if its to do with the listening room being crappy. The Elac were really good and probably the best. Unfortunately they are just too pricey.

Are there any other speakers that I can audition in Bangalore ? I plan to go to Forum mall and check Sonodyne too, but are there others in my price range ?

Also, of what I have heard, I liked the Wharfedale Diamonds. But I wanted to know if these are VFM and if there are others I can audition in Bangalore.

TIA,
Ajay

Hi,

I am trying to setup a 5.1, later expand to a 7.1, speaker setup. I started with the Onkyo HTIB S5100, but after some reading on this forum, I felt the need to get a little more serious. :)

Room Dimensions: 11x23
Usage Movies/Music: 50:50
Budget: 50-60K (For speakers)

I have auditioned the Wharfedale 9.5s, 9.2s, center and SW150. Also heard the evo and achromatic series. Evo sounded the best, but way over my league. I liked the Diamonds too though.

I also heard the Polk and KEF at Profx, but neither really blew me away.

Then went to ezone and checked out the Jamo 606s and Elac. The Jamos for some reason lacked the punch, I dont know if its to do with the listening room being crappy. The Elac were really good and probably the best. Unfortunately they are just too pricey.

Are there any other speakers that I can audition in Bangalore ? I plan to go to Forum mall and check Sonodyne too, but are there others in my price range ?

Also, of what I have heard, I liked the Wharfedale Diamonds. But I wanted to know if these are VFM and if there are others I can audition in Bangalore.

TIA,
Ajay

Hey Ajay

How about going in for a Demo of Q Acoustics...
I am sure you must have read there reviews in the magazines.. and all...

A 5 star product and the best product for past 3 continuous years...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Where in Bangalore can I audition:
1. Monitor
2. Mordaunt Short
3. Q Acoustics

-Ajay

Thanks for the suggestions.

Where in Bangalore can I audition:
1. Monitor
2. Mordaunt Short
3. Q Acoustics

-Ajay

Hey Ajay

For Mordaunt Short, meet Mr. Palani, Audio Planet...
But, MS is more in for Music and are best suited for 2Channel setup...

For Q Acoustics please let us know, we will arrange for the same...
But, please let us know, in advance...

Thanks Mridul, will PM you.

Also, are the 9.6s (approx 40K) from wharfedale as much better than the 9.5s (approx 30K) as the price suggests ?

Thanks Mridul, will PM you.

Also, are the 9.6s (approx 40K) from wharfedale as much better than the 9.5s (approx 30K) as the price suggests ?

Hi,

For HT setup, since you would have the support of subwoofer for lower frequencies, you can very well consider the 9.5's as front speakers. This is more than enough and in my opinion the highs & mids are better in 9.5 than 9.6.

You can spend the difference amount (between the 9.5 & 9.6) on a better subwoofer like a Velodyne VX-10 instead of the Wharfedale SW150.

Cheers,
Ramesh

And how does the Klipsch RPW-10 compare to the velodyne vx-10 or for that matter the SW150 ? There are precious few reviews on the net on the Klipsch sub.

-Ajay

How much does Velodyne VX-10 cost - street price.

And how does the Klipsch RPW-10 compare to the velodyne vx-10 or for that matter the SW150 ? There are precious few reviews on the net on the Klipsch sub.

-Ajay

Looking at the specs, I feel that the Klipsch may be better than the Velodyne but I have not heard the Klipsch.

Velodyne sound quality is too good when compared with the Wharfedale SW150.

Cheers,
Ramesh

Hi Ajay,
The Klipsch RPW-10 specs looks good but I've not heard it but you can also consider the Klipsch Sub 10 or Sub 12 .
I've heard both the models and are really amazing for Movies as well as Music.
The Sub-12 may be overkill in smaller rooms.But you'll always have more headroom.

Read the reviews here for sub 10:
Best Buy Klipsch 10" 420W Powered Subwoofer Customer Ratings & Reviews - Top & Best Rated Products
sub-12
Best Buy Klipsch 12" 650W Powered Subwoofer Customer Ratings & Reviews - Top & Best Rated Products

I didn't believe when I read many Users wrote about the Sub 10 & Sub-12's room Shaking capabilities but when I saw the demo some 3 weeks back in Onkyo showroom I believed.

We listened to many cuts , and in the famous U-571 Depth charge scene the SUB 12 pressurized the room that I almost gasped for breath.
We also played some Audio cd like Linkin park Re-animation & the sub pounded with fury.Then we also played Pink Floyd's Time and High Hopes.
The Sub 12 was paired with Synergy F-3 powered by an Onkyo 705.
On the track High Hopes the Dynamic range produced was incredible.

Well brother it's more like a review of sub12 but I suggest you to take an audition of the subs which other members also suggested.

Whichever be the SUB, placement is the key to get the best out of it.
Don't get me wrong, I've not got any chance to check many other subs but
this one, I mean the whole package still keeps me dreaming.:p

Anyways Good Luck with you purchase...
Best wishes,
Samuel

How well would a Klipsch SUB 12 pair with the rest of a Wharfedale set of speakers i.e. 9.5, 9DFS and 9cm ?

Basically want to know if any of you have had experience with this combo and whether the sub will be a team player. :)

Thanks in advance.

-Ajay

Ajay,

A sub & surround speakers are most forgiving in a HT environment. The Klipsch 12 is a pretty good one. The one thing I woudl look for (and you have already taken thatn into consideration) is that I woudl go for a 12 inch driver than a 10 inch one.

Energy and Velodyne are good ones too.

How well would a Klipsch SUB 12 pair with the rest of a Wharfedale set of speakers i.e. 9.5, 9DFS and 9cm ?

Basically want to know if any of you have had experience with this combo and whether the sub will be a team player. :)

Thanks in advance.

-Ajay

25K Nett (Including all taxes)

hello friends
i am going through same grind as others.
pl suggest i amhaving yamaha 471 avr and looking for 5.1 setup. room size rectangle 17x10x8. view dist 7-8 ft.

betn following options which is good VFM invesstment.
usage :music 40 movies rest.
a]Sonus v3 1501 3.9k+c2401 5.5k+roarr210 15.5k.\\
or
b]wharfedale 9.1{frontx2}+center cs+rears all BS.
or
c] tannoy mercury v1{front x2}+vr{x2}+vc +sub?.
d]wharf obesidian 600
e]wharf vardus 300.
f]paradigm ct100 vs wharf dx1.
which is good matching yamaha.
pl give inputs from following listed ones.

only auditioning can help u to understand ur ears...peoples taste is different..also if possible audition with ur yamaha

Last edited:
hello friends
i am going through same grind as others.
pl suggest i amhaving yamaha 471 avr and looking for 5.1 setup. room size rectangle 17x10x8. view dist 7-8 ft.

betn following options which is good VFM invesstment.
usage :music 40 movies rest.
a]Sonus v3 1501 3.9k+c2401 5.5k+roarr210 15.5k.\\
or
b]wharfedale 9.1{frontx2}+center cs+rears all BS.
or
c] tannoy mercury v1{front x2}+vr{x2}+vc +sub?.
d]wharf obesidian 600
e]wharf vardus 300.
f]paradigm ct100 vs wharf dx1.
which is good matching yamaha.
pl give inputs from following listed ones.

If you looking for VFM product, then it has to be the Sonodyne Sonus that you have mentioned above. They are a very good match for Yamaha Receiver.

If Wharf then go with diamond series rather than entry level Vardus or Obesidian.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back