Speaker Kits

afj

Hi
Does anyone have any experience with SB Acoustics, Scan Speak, SEAS speaker kits? Am planning to build an entry level bookshelf speaker and any info on the drivers / kits would be appreciated. Also how do i go about the crossover network

PS. I am not a techie

Hi
Does anyone have any experience with SB Acoustics, Scan Speak, SEAS speaker kits? Am planning to build an entry level bookshelf speaker and any info on the drivers / kits would be appreciated. Also how do i go about the crossover network

PS. I am not a techie

May be you can consider this:
Ellam98-mkII

I built this one for our FM Prashant from Bangalore.

Thanks,
Bibin

Often, one of the most daunting tasks for the novice speaker-builder is building a crossover from scratch.
It is easy enough to look at and understand a crossover schematic, but it is an altogether different matter to actually build it out of real components.

If you are looking for a 'cookbook' approach,
You'll need to achieve these goals

As the internet covers more than you may need, here is a list of the essential steps in case you don't plan on reading all of it.

1. Choose a crossover frequency based on your drivers

2. Choose the tweeter level (how loud it should be)

3. Flatten the impedances

4. Add the crossovers

then on to tweaking.

could someone help me with information on how to build a crossover network

If you consider yourself above pro level, then go ahead with passive xo. Otherwise drop the idea.

Its very hard to fine tune a passive xo as it requires lot of expertise to build one.

IMHO only.

On a side note - you might look into active xo solutions. This will be a little expensive but this might give you near perfect results.

Even I am thinking and researching for building my own speakers from a long time. However i discovered that building a speaker is not that easy I thought, designing the right crossover is the most difficult part as I understood after research, but my diy spirit doesn't allow me to buy a ready-made speakers from the market before making my hands dirty.

I was almost convinced to by a ready-made few days ago but now again I want to go for a DIY, I'm on a search for good 3 way design or will start with my own choice of drivers.

I would rather try and get a mediocre result but I will get a chance to improve those speakers by trying out tweaking in crossovers.

All the best and please do keep your progress posted.

Regards
Bilal

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

You can even consider a full ranger based bookshelf build like the Fostex or Mark Audio or other drivers. Simple and easy to build without the headache of crossovers.

Hi Avesbilal

Designing a "good" speaker system requires knowledge, resources and experience, each of which cannot be understated. Buying a good design is far easier. As a first point, define your budget, then decide which path you wish to take. In a sense, the decision is like you want to go to a restaurant, or you want to buy a car? Which?

Good luck!

The question/s to be asked are: Do you want to learn to cook and then cook a dish from scratch OR do you want to prepare & cook a dish from a tried, tested and vetted recipe OR do you want to go to a restaurant and eat what is prepared by a chef OR do you want to buy a ready to cook packet where all/most ingredients are packed and all you have to do is mix, heat and eat.

George, was that a typo? Go to a restaurant? Buy a car? Apple? Orange?

The question/s to be asked are: Do you want to learn to cook and then cook a dish from scratch OR do you want to prepare & cook a dish from a tried, tested and vetted recipe OR do you want to go to a restaurant and eat what is prepared by a chef OR do you want to buy a ready to cook packet where all/most ingredients are packed and all you have to do is mix, heat and eat.

George, was that a typo? Go to a restaurant? Buy a car? Apple? Orange?

Yes, I want to build already designed kit with drivers, crossover and cabinet as per the designer dimensions, it would be great even if we get at least the drivers and crossovers but there are hardly anything available like that in India, importing such kit is another story (customs will put a hole in pocket).

I see drivers and crossovers parts available on diyaudiocart but not kits, I hope bibin comes up with speaker kits soon.

I even though of importing kits from US but didn't find many as I was looking for 3 way, some are very expensive and some are very basic.

I was planning to spend 30-40k for building a 3 way floorstanding can go above also if significant difference.

My goal is to build a very revealing and musical (some people might tell it bright but not very sharp treble).

I have a Sony floorstanding which came as bundle in my HT, it sounds like muddy to me.

I really appreciate all the FM's help.

Regards
Bilal

Last edited:
Please talk to Bibin/bibin of diyaudiocart, they will help you with custom kits as well

Yes, I want to build already designed kit with drivers, crossover and cabinet as per the designer dimensions, it would be great even if we get at least the drivers and crossovers but there are hardly anything available like that in India, importing such kit is another story (customs will put a hole in pocket).

I see drivers and crossovers parts available on diyaudiocart but not kits, I hope bibin comes up with speaker kits soon.

I even though of importing kits from US but didn't find many as I was looking for 3 way, some are very expensive and some are very basic.

I was planning to spend 30-40k for building a 3 way floorstanding can go above also if significant difference.

My goal is to build a very revealing and musical (some people might tell it bright but not very sharp treble).

I have a Sony floorstanding which came as bundle in my HT, it sounds like muddy to me.

I really appreciate all the FM's help.

Regards
Bilal

thanks a lot guys. its given me a better insight into how daunting the crossover section can be. is there anyway i can buy a good crossover from one of the speaker kit suppliers and reverse engineer it. ultimately the aim is to build a crossover

thanks a lot guys. its given me a better insight into how daunting the crossover section can be. is there anyway i can buy a good crossover from one of the speaker kit suppliers and reverse engineer it. ultimately the aim is to build a crossover
I believe it goes like this.

1) select a speaker design you want to go for, according to your requirement.

2) select suitable drivers for the design and simulate them.

3) build boxes for the speakers using the T/s parameters of the drivers.

4) design the crossovers according to drivers and simulation results.

5) you can hear the speakers and fine tune it further.

From what I understand, each driver will require different crossovers components values according to its measurements.

Experts please correct where ever required in the above.

Regards

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back