Speaker setup for listening to music

snkj

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here, after lurking around for quite some time. I just started working and can finally spend my own money to get myself a pair decent speakers. I listen to a lot of music and have pretty varied taste - rock, alternative R&B, indie electronica, indie/dream pop, shoegaze / black metal.

I can't spend a lot and have a budget of roughly 10k for a pair of speakers and an amp ( if necessary) I'll be using my Mac and Nexus 5 and a raspberry pi I've set up as music station

I live in Pune, and it would be great if I can buy it locally or online is fine too.

Still awaiting your suggestions guys.

How does the combo of Norge 2030 and Norge nano bookshelf speakers sound?

Last edited:
I think 10K is too less a budget for a brand new decent amp and speakers. If you are comfortable with old equipment you could check out this forum for good deals. To my mind the old generation Cosmic lab 3000 with covox speakers should be available within 10K.
I was not particularly impressed with Norge book shelf speakers, but the individual listening tastes differ, hence if possible please audition first before buying.

Budget is very less hence you are not getting much response:

A budget entry level bookshelf speaker itself would cost more than 10K (CA S30 or Polk 110, Pioneer BS 22).

Entry level decent amp (Indian will start with 6-7 K, Astonia, D&M, Norge). You may find deal in Marantz 5004 but that would be around 17K.

You can also go with powered bookshelf speakers starting around 12-13K (Behringer, KRK, M Audio). In this case you wont need separate amp.

Else you always have mass market Creative, F&D, Intex etc. but you know the trade off

A cheap but effective solution could be Lepai amp (2K) and any entry level bookshelf speakers

You need to decide what you want and try to get some auditions to know your exact preferences regarding sound quality.

Hope this is helpful.

Quite difficult to get good new setup at that price. Either wait till you can up your budget or buy used. Used is absolutely VFM. Buy used on this forum. I have bought a few things. For safety, ensure the seller has good reputation.
You could look at getting just a pair of powered speakers from KRK or Audioengine. They are good.

EDIT: Vinay has put it far better!

Yeah I understand that my budget is very limited. I can stretch it maybe to 17k. The other issue is availability. I was looking at the combo of Cambridge audio s30 with Norge or Topping/lepai amplifier.

@Vinay2013 Can you point me towards dealers/stores that might stock the s30?

Norge 2030 is available locally for 6900

If you have any old stereo speakers from any hifisystem @ home, you can re-use them... You can spend 10K to get a very good stereo amp... (or)

Look for used hifi speaker like Sony, Pioneer, Philips, Aiwa, Kenwood in Olx for around 2 -3 K...

For the remaining budget you can very easily get an used stereo amp in Olx too...

Some links that can be of help to you...

Philips Powerhousewith 2 speakers,radio,cassette player,Dyamic bass - Pune - TV - Video - Audio

PHILIPS tower speakers. Fb2600 - Pune - TV - Video - Audio

Original Pioneer Speakers - Pune - TV - Video - Audio

Philips 1200 watt speakers for sell with reflex bass - Pune - TV - Video - Audio

Technics music system with speakers - Pune - TV - Video - Audio

If you plan to pick any of these, physically check them, negotiate futher if you can & you got yourself a decent speaker to begin with...

I don't know much about dealers around Mumbai/Pune but there should be plenty in Mumbai as that is the place where most of the distributors/importers are. Sorry you need to do some research. SA30 is old model and hard to find but you can explore other options.

I will suggest to visit as many dealers as you can. Many a time dealers are trying to get rid of old stocks and you may find very good discount/deals.

I would Suggest you to go with Pre-owned Route for Now. Listen for some time, Parallel raise some funds for the Entry Level New Set-up.

You could check the Whrafs Speakers which is in For sale section+Check out for nice Sansui\Pioneer\Onkyo Stereo Amps in OLX\Quikr. It should be good to start with.

You should check out with Norge, For music listening i have Norge 1000 paired with Pioneer towers and sound is amazing and while playing original tracks its mind blowing. But for that u have to stretch your budget too.

Else go for intex, creative, iball etc as a compromise.

Buy a 2.1 computer speaker. They will fit your budget . Some sound very nice. Check it with avid computer users. There has to be lots of info on the Net. Look up the big sites like Snapdeal and Flipkart etc to check model numbers and pricing. Then Google for reviews on those model numbers . You might get a better idea of what people think about them.
Google can give you plenty of info on good quality computer speakers that will fit your budget. Research on the Net. As budgets fall the 'spend' becomes more important ! ;)

Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone. It's been great reading about all these great audio gears. I've mostly listened to music through earphones and no matter how much love my vsonic gr7s, there's something so primal about blasting out rock or metal records or chilling out to some shoegaze on a pair of great speakers.

Based on the initial feedback I realized that a budget of 10k is a very limited one. I skimmed through countless pages here, and read reviews on whathifi, stereo pile etc and ended up creating a shortlist of speakers that I wanted to check out, possibly audition and seek opinions of fellow fm(s) here.

Cambridge Audio S30
Boston Acoustics a26 and a25
Wharfedale 10.1
Polk ts110
QAcoustics 2010
Norge Nano

I was chuffed on seeing Boston acoustics a26 for sale on hifimart but they were out of stock . Talked to the owner/founder in the hope of grabbing one and he said they have been phased out. Even the S30 from Cambridge audio have been replaced by the new Aero series. That ended my search for a new under 15k bookshelf speakers. The QA 2010, and wharfedale 10.1 were out of budget, and I wanted to go for speakers with 5 star reviews and universal acclaim (thus ruling out the Polk and Norge nano )

However, my conversation with him pretty much convinced me to go for Wharfedale Diamond 220. He seamed so impressed with them and his enthusiasm about it caught on me too.

I think it'll be better if I save up and stretch my budget a little bit. A few months of waiting will definitely be worth it.

Just one more request guys, please suggest me an amp for this. Can't go above 10-12k for this now.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back