speaker setup small or large???

manu4panjab

hey brothers

we all know that we have to set all speakers to small in av receiver so all the low frequencies go to subwoofers

but for my polk speakers i tried both setting small and large and i can hear more deep bass when setting all my speakers to large(including centre,surrounds) and xover frequency to 40 hz
so when playing music in two channel mode i can now hear much more correct and deepest bass which i have never hear on any other system before
i have check all my hip hop dvds and cds and baaaaaam :cool: that's all i have to say and i also check polk tsi 500 without subwoofer in large setting and they have more openness and deep bass and not boomy at all
so any thoughts:D

Last edited:
i can now hear much more correct and deepest bass which i have never hear on any other system before

If you teach yourself to hallucinate, then you won't ever need to spend $$$ on expensive audio :D

Just kidding :lol:

Manu there are certain assumptions about speaker settings in an AVR that you must understand.

1. 'Large' speakers are generally those that can handle the full spectrum of frequency - 20Hz to 20Khz.

2. 'Small' speakers have less to do with size and more to do with their capacity to handle frequency range.

3. When you set the crossover to anything less than the THX standard of 80Hz, the front speakers are treated as 'large' irrespective of what you set their size as. This is because, at anything less than the 80Hz setting, the AVR will send the full frequency spectrum to the front speakers, in addition to sending low frequencies to the LFE channel.

4. Generally it is better to have a 10Hz overlap in the crossover. For example if you front speakers are specified as 65Hz to 20Khz, set the cross over at 75Hz so that the transition from the front to the sub is smooth and there is no abrupt gap when the Sub takes over. If you set both the fronts and the subs to handle a large frequency range, you will add echo and noise to the sound stage. In general, the sub should function only when needed and when the fronts have stopped playing at a particular frequency.

5. Though you heard different, good subs are better at handling frequencies below some 100Hz or so. The handling of low frequency sounds is a factor of the size of the drivers, the additional amplification needed, and tight construction of the cabinet to handle large air flow. Most 'small' speakers do not have drivers that are larger than 6.5 inches. A good sub usually starts at 10 inches.

Remember, what I mentioned in Point 5 above has to do more with movies than music. In music, frequencies usually taper off at 45-50Hz. This can be handled even by a decent bookshelf. But in movies, low frequency sounds go down to 20Hz or even below, and these are better handled by a sub.

Cheers

Manu there are certain assumptions about speaker settings in an AVR that you must understand.

1. 'Large' speakers are generally those that can handle the full spectrum of frequency - 20Hz to 20Khz.

2. 'Small' speakers have less to do with size and more to do with their capacity to handle frequency range.

3. When you set the crossover to anything less than the THX standard of 80Hz, the front speakers are treated as 'large' irrespective of what you set their size as. This is because, at anything less than the 80Hz setting, the AVR will send the full frequency spectrum to the front speakers, in addition to sending low frequencies to the LFE channel.

4. Generally it is better to have a 10Hz overlap in the crossover. For example if you front speakers are specified as 65Hz to 20Khz, set the cross over at 75Hz so that the transition from the front to the sub is smooth and there is no abrupt gap when the Sub takes over. If you set both the fronts and the subs to handle a large frequency range, you will add echo and noise to the sound stage. In general, the sub should function only when needed and when the fronts have stopped playing at a particular frequency.

5. Though you heard different, good subs are better at handling frequencies below some 100Hz or so. The handling of low frequency sounds is a factor of the size of the drivers, the additional amplification needed, and tight construction of the cabinet to handle large air flow. Most 'small' speakers do not have drivers that are larger than 6.5 inches. A good sub usually starts at 10 inches.

Remember, what I mentioned in Point 5 above has to do more with movies than music. In music, frequencies usually taper off at 45-50Hz. This can be handled even by a decent bookshelf. But in movies, low frequency sounds go down to 20Hz or even below, and these are better handled by a sub.

Cheers

hey brother thanks for your support i know we must set according to what you said but bro when i set all my speakers to large and xover to 40 hz i heard deep bass which i never heard before and when i set to all small and xover to 80hz there is very little bass very very flat it sound like music coming from a radio :eek:hyeah:

so i set it according to my taste and about echo and noise you mention there is not at all any of them coz i have bass traps in all corners including ceiling too where wall and ceiling meets :)

Hi Manu,

1.Your spk are new & lets wait for break in period to improve Bass.
Secondly when you play mov,Bass freq are diverted mostly in .1ch(SW)

2.Mov soundtracks are generally recorded with gained high freq as spk are kept behind Screen.So Bass will be less in 5.0chs.

3.Lastly when you play in stereo mode,per ch power(wattage)will increase to get deep Bass.ie. power supply with 500w can deliver 100w each ch in 5.1 mode.If played in stereo mode,wattage per ch can increase to 150w(max wat given in specification of AVR)So the deep Bass.

Hi Manu,

1.Your spk are new & lets wait for break in period to improve Bass.
Secondly when you play mov,Bass freq are diverted mostly in .1ch(SW)

2.Mov soundtracks are generally recorded with gained high freq as spk are kept behind Screen.So Bass will be less in 5.0chs.

3.Lastly when you play in stereo mode,per ch power(wattage)will increase to get deep Bass.ie. power supply with 500w can deliver 100w each ch in 5.1 mode.If played in stereo mode,wattage per ch can increase to 150w(max wat given in specification of AVR)So the deep Bass.

thanks bro

you are right i must give them break-in period

I can't comment on teh "correct" part without a lot of additional info, but the reason you are hearing the "baaam" is that because fo your cross over setting, there are is a large proportion of frequencies that are being played by the speakers and the sub. A well set system is one that tries to draw a line between the frequencies played by the different speakers. Overlapping freq's tend to colour the sound as well as not reproduce as the person who mastered the source.

hey brothers

we all know that we have to set all speakers to small in av receiver so all the low frequencies go to subwoofers

but for my polk speakers i tried both setting small and large and i can hear more deep bass when setting all my speakers to large(including centre,surrounds) and xover frequency to 40 hz
so when playing music in two channel mode i can now hear much more correct and deepest bass which i have never hear on any other system before
i have check all my hip hop dvds and cds and baaaaaam :cool: that's all i have to say and i also check polk tsi 500 without subwoofer in large setting and they have more openness and deep bass and not boomy at all

I can't comment on teh "correct" part without a lot of additional info, but the reason you are hearing the "baaam" is that because fo your cross over setting, there are is a large proportion of frequencies that are being played by the speakers and the sub. A well set system is one that tries to draw a line between the frequencies played by the different speakers. Overlapping freq's tend to colour the sound as well as not reproduce as the person who mastered the source.

thanks bro

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back