Speaker Stand Assembly Queries

kGr99

I recently bought Norstone Stylum 2 Speaker Stands. I have assembled the stands but was looking for few answers:

1) Length of spikes on bottom plate: Do I need to maintain a particular length for the spikes i.e. tip of spike to the plate? Or Is the purpose of threads on the spikes only to level the plate horizontal to ground?

2) If the spike threads are used only for leveling, How critical is perfect leveling? Any methods used to do that?

3) Any methods to check if the speaker is perfectly horizontal w.r.t. the floor? Do we need to check this in the first place?

The biggest issue of all is:

As soon as I moved the speakers onto the stands, the sound stage has moved towards the left speaker. Any ideas? Of course there is a huge change in bass which is more tighter now but all the music appears to be coming from a cluttered left corner. :sad:

A good way to see if the problem is with the stands itself would be to swap the stands and see if the sound shifts to the RHS.

Could it be that the speaker wire/connections behind the speakers (or behind the amp) worked loose while you got them on the stands?

The spikes under the stands should mostly be of the same length for sure. After getting them to the same length, you'll only need to turn one or two spikes per stand by a half rotation (or at the most a full rotation) or so to level the stand.

When I set up my stands (Sound Foundations SAL Alif) I had all the spikes at the max height initially. I then manipulated two spikes on the front opposite corners (by reducing the level by a half-turn or so) and one of the rear spikes of the stand to get it level.

It could be that the RHS stand is disproportionately leveled to such an extent that the tweeter is aiming far away from the normal position. (You should be able to ID if this is the case by just swapping the stands).

use a spirit level.. Rs 75 approx

see if speaker wires are loose from the speaker rear or the amp..

or switch the speaker connections L to R and vice versa..

give some room for the speakers to breathe.. preferably 1 or 2 feet all around and see if that improves the situation

mpw

use a spirit level.. Rs 75 approx

see if speaker wires are loose from the speaker rear or the amp..

or switch the speaker connections L to R and vice versa..

give some room for the speakers to breathe.. preferably 1 or 2 feet all around and see if that improves the situation

mpw

I recently saw someone use an app on their smartphone as a level tester.

I know this question has probably been asked before, but are spikes really needed for Indian floors? I thought they were needed for soft unstable floors like carpeting.

indian flooring may be hard.. but levelling is another issue.

Most floors in buildings are not totally level..

mpw

After having checked with all possible combinations of speakers, cables and stands, to my good fate, I found the issue to be with the music I was playing . I didn't realize I was playing some crappy tracks in worst possible format. :eek:

I used some good test tracks and direct play from CD to set the system in place. Everything is in place now and perfect again :yahoo:

Thank you everyone :clapping:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back