Speaker stands for bookshelves

dances_with_wolves

hi all,

I purchased a pair of Monitor Audio BR2 bookshelves a couple of months back. At the time, I did not buy stands for the speakers. I am now looking for good stands for these speakers in Bangalore.

Pls advise on the used market for these in BLR, and if they are worth it. What shd I look for while buying these? One of my friends purchased strong metal Torvin stands in seconds for abt 5k in Madras. Any chance I can get something similar in Bangalore?

thanks,
dww

hi all,

I purchased a pair of Monitor Audio BR2 bookshelves a couple of months back. At the time, I did not buy stands for the speakers. I am now looking for good stands for these speakers in Bangalore.

Pls advise on the used market for these in BLR, and if they are worth it. What shd I look for while buying these? One of my friends purchased strong metal Torvin stands in seconds for abt 5k in Madras. Any chance I can get something similar in Bangalore?

thanks,
dww

Make sure there are no vibrations completely and also that the stands are stable. They should seat the speakers well and be able to screw in at the bottom. Otherwise you can build some wooden ones yourself if you have half handy. May have ot invest in some tools but worth it and can be made with high WAF.

Decibel is selling special stands that are fabricated by a Aerospace Engineer for them. The stand comes in three parts. The bottom plate is a sandwich that has two plates with a vibration absorbing material in between. Similarly the top place has a sound absorbing material between two plates. The centre part is a strong but hollow rod that can be filled with sand for stability. Both the top and bottom plates come with spikes.

The stands can be dismantled and assembled again. The price is also reasonable.

Check with Raghu of Decibel for more details.

Cheers

hi all,

thanks,
dww

hi kevin,

if you contact MAGMA on this forum you should get useful leads because he has a special interest in bookshelf speaker stands

hi all,

thanks,
dww

Hi DWW:

Contact Person: Mr. Murthy (Bangalore).
Contact Number: 080-2558807.
Specialty: Inexpensive AV/speaker stand maker.

Referred By: Mr. Prithvi (Absolute Phase Bangalore).

Yes do take a walk down commerical street to Mr. Murthy's shop "Tools n Trade". Its some 20 mtrs after the police station. Take care to cover your face so the cops don't recognize you :D

I use wooden logs obtained from a timber merchant btw.

Cheers

Hi dww,

I have just started learning about speaker stands, so cannot tell you much. But what I have learnt so far is that all stands would not work with all speakers. That's why it's best to get stands that are supplied with the particular BS speakers. But most of the times these are pretty expensive.

Please search in the net in general and also at the MA website if there is a particular kind of stand that has been recommended for your speakers and try to see if you can get that made by Murthy in Bangalore or get it from Raghu of Decibels.

I have heard about Murthy from Vinny (square_wave), and from all reports he is a good fabricator.

The stands from Raghu of Decibels also seem to be quite good. The top and bottom sandwiched plates are similar to the ones in idea I am getting made here in Kolkata (designed and looked after by Cranky and his audiophile friend Arup). The central column is different in my case. The sandfilling option for the middle column may be useful, or if your speaker likes it you may leave it hollow. My ideas of these things are changing, and I am trying to learn and would be interested to know finally what kind of stands you settle for and how the speakers perform with the stands. Please keep us informed of future developments.

Regards.

Yes do take a walk down commerical street to Mr. Murthy's shop "Tools n Trade". Its some 20 mtrs after the police station. Take care to cover your face so the cops don't recognize you :D

I use wooden logs obtained from a timber merchant btw.

Cheers

Thanks, gobble. Will take care abt the cops :))

Decibel is selling special stands that are fabricated by a Aerospace Engineer for them. The stand comes in three parts. The bottom plate is a sandwich that has two plates with a vibration absorbing material in between. Similarly the top place has a sound absorbing material between two plates. The centre part is a strong but hollow rod that can be filled with sand for stability. Both the top and bottom plates come with spikes.

The stands can be dismantled and assembled again. The price is also reasonable.

Check with Raghu of Decibel for more details.

Cheers

hi Venkat,

Do u have any idea abt the cost of these stands?

Back