Speaker/Sub/AVR: Returning from US to India

rs007

Hey Guys,

I am returning to India after living in US for many years and planning to carry a descent home theater components to India.
I liked combination of Klipsch XB-10 bookshelf speakers (XB-10 Bookshelf Speaker - Overview) and Mirage Omni S8 sub woofer (Mirage OMNI S8 (black) Subwoofer reviews - CNET Reviews).

Now I have a few questions -

Subwoofer: Mirage sub works on 60Hz frequency, so will not operate in India. I will look for a different one that would be compatible with Indian power specifications. I believe converting from 110V to 220 V can be done using a good converter but frequency difference (60 V 50 Hz) is hard to overcome.

1. Can you guys please suggest how much a good sub cost in India? Is it worth to get a sub from US?

Receiver: I was thinking I would buy the receiver (Onkyo) from India itself. But Onkyo costs about 35000 or more which is 2-3 times the cost here.
2. Can you guys also suggest what other AVR options I have in India and again should I look to buy it from US?

3. Will there be any other compatibility issues if I buy speaker/AVR/Sub from US and use it with other components bought in India?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Rohit

Subwoofer: Mirage sub works on 60Hz frequency, so will not operate in India. I will look for a different one that would be compatible with Indian power specifications. I believe converting from 110V to 220 V can be done using a good converter but frequency difference (60 V 50 Hz) is hard to overcome.

There are good quality step down transformers available in India. Visit SHAH ELECTRONICS - 220V / 110 V Step Down Transformers & 220V / 110V with Built in Stabilizer for more details. They may be able to take care of the frequency variation for you, but I doubt it.

Can you guys please suggest how much a good sub cost in India? Is it worth to get a sub from US?

A decent sub such as the Wharfedale Sw150 starts around 20K. Good subs such as from Velodyne would cost around 50K.

Receiver: I was thinking I would buy the receiver (Onkyo) from India itself. But Onkyo costs about 35000 or more which is 2-3 times the cost here.
2. Can you guys also suggest what other AVR options I have in India and again should I look to buy it from US?

You have to be more specific in terms of price and/or features. Most receivers are available in India.

Will there be any other compatibility issues if I buy speaker/AVR/Sub from US and use it with other components bought in India?

Yes Hindi films will be automatically translated into Texan drawl. :) Jokes aside, none. You have to be careful about speaker impedance and power rating and that is all.

Please see if you can delete the other thread with same subject.

Cheers

Hey Guys,

I am returning to India after living in US for many years and planning to carry a descent home theater components to India.
I liked combination of Klipsch XB-10 bookshelf speakers (XB-10 Bookshelf Speaker - Overview) and Mirage Omni S8 sub woofer (Mirage OMNI S8 (black) Subwoofer reviews - CNET Reviews).

Now I have a few questions -

1. Can you guys please suggest how much a good sub cost in India? Is it worth to get a sub from US?

3. Will there be any other compatibility issues if I buy speaker/AVR/Sub from US and use it with other components bought in India?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Rohit

Hi RS007,
If you're relocating, getting all the components you need for your HT from the US is a great idea as the options and prices you have there are mind boggling. It would be helpful if you could state your price range and any other requirements (or no-nos) that you may have in mind. Also, if you have an idea of how big you're HT room is going to be, that would be helpful as well. I'll try answering your questions point-wise to the best of my knowledge:

1. If you're planning to get the sub to India as part of your relocation, please get them from the US, it would be totally worth it. The voltage conversion is not a huge issue but there are a lot of very good models that support 230V. Some of the best VFM companies for subs would be Rythmik, SVS and Hsu. Each have their own USP, but irrespective of which one of these you'd buy, you'd still be getting very good VFM.

2. IMHO, it's better for you to pick an AVR from there. Here are some good options at Audioholics. Even if the AVR you'd go for is 110V only, you can run it with a converter without any negative effects.

3. AFAIK, there should not be any compatibility issues whatsoever if you get your stuff from the US. If you're planning to buy a Blu-Ray player, just make sure its region-free/multi-region.

Here are some good brands that you could look at:

AV123.com. They usually have very attractive offers on their products, like this one here. You might have to call them to get more info./better pricing. These are very well regarded speakers with absolutely gorgeous real wood finish. The only catch with these is that you need to call and find out if what you need is in stock.

Swan Speakers Same as above with more wider range of HT packages.

Ascend Acoustics, If you're looking at only bookshelves.

Axiom Audio. They have a decent range of HT packages. The only catch with Axioms are that the real veneer finishes are expensive.

AVSforum.com would be a very good place to check the feedback and reviews of each of these brands.

you can't get a more detailed answer than what has been already given above.

just my 2 cents...do check out sites like Audiogon. you may get fantastic deals on used or clearance gear.

there are some brands which make 110v input but with a variable frequency. this should make using a step down transformer easier.
select a bunch of models and go through their product spec sheet / manual to see if the frequency range is between 50 - 60 hz.

Arcam, offers AVRs with user selectable voltage 110 - 220 v.

Hey, welcome back to India! Have a great time here.
Since you are moving back after living for many years, household stuff should not attract any duty IIRC, maybe others can add as well. Which city are you coming to, and when?

regards

Hey Guys,

I am returning to India after living in US for many years

Thank you so much for your great suggestions and tips. Here is some more specifics of my requirement -

My living room of 3-bed apartment is about 15 x 12 or a little bigger
Range - between $800-1000 for speakers, Subs and AVR.
Need it mostly for movies

I believe 8"-10" sub would do? Similar to hsu-STF-1. What speaker and receiver do you recommend?
Is there anything specific I should watch out while buying sub, speakers, avr and wires of different brands?
It is hard to find power/frequency information in product manuals available online.

I will return to Delhi in a few months time.

anm,
Can you please clarify how would I get around custom duty? Do they have special rules for people returning to India ?
Thanks again for your great inputs.

Rohit

Can you please clarify how would I get around custom duty? Do they have special rules for people returning to India ?

Read about "transfer of residence" in customs/baggage rules. If you are planning to avail of it, buy your system quickly and have it aged (invoice wise) by the time you travel... I am sure you will get more tips from the other members here...

How 'bout these for the 5 channels and this one for the sub? The ELT's have won the Exceptional Value award from Tone Audio. Please call AV123 to get a better offer on the package. I believe they also sell HK AVRs but are not allowed to post it on the Internet as the pricing is way too low to be advertised. Even if you decide not to go for these, it would greatly help if you call them and find out the current deals.

Regarding subs, I personally don't believe an 8 or 10 inch driver would do justice to sound tracks. For a little more, how about this one? I believe venkatcr here owns a Hsu, I'll let him comment on it's performance.

P.S: Here are 2 current deals going on at AV123:

http://forums.av123.com/showthread.php?t=41020

http://forums.av123.com/showthread.php?t=41014

Apart from making sure the AVR can drive low impedance speakers (if you're going for them), there's nothing much to worry about technically. Ofcourse, different speakers would sound slightly different with different AVRs. If you could post what speakers interest you, people here could guide you on the selection of AVR's. Regarding the voltage issue, it's not much of a deal. Even if the AVR don't support 230V, you could just run it with a converter with absolutely no drawbacks. For audio cables, you could try Blue Jeans cable and Monoprice for video...

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions.

It would not be possible for me to carry these big speakers or heavy subs. Thats why I was looking for something smaller that can fit into my luggage. I cant carry subs more than 45-50 pounds or speakers bigger than 20".
So tower speakers are probably out of questions.

Please let me know what other combination can I look for.

Thanks for your prompt and valuable feedback !

It would not be possible for me to carry these big speakers or heavy subs. Thats why I was looking for something smaller that can fit into my luggage. I cant carry subs more than 45-50 pounds or speakers bigger than 20". So tower speakers are probably out of questions.

If you are going by baggage rules, I don;t think you can carry more than two small bookshelves or a sub/sat 5.1 system such as Energy Take 5. If as transfer of residence you are booking a container or something, then it is a different story.

Cheers

how long have you lived in the US?
I know somebody who came back from the US (to work in my company) and carried a 60" television along. And other heavy stuff. They came through a cargo ship IIRC, that landed in Bombay. Maybe you can try the same route.
I can try to get more info from him if you are interested. BTW he didn't like India much after those many years, and went back within a year.

regards

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back