Speaker upgrade (2 lakh)

Published too fast :)

I also started doing my research on amplifiers and thought a power amplifier might be a good way to go.

Marantz MM7025 - 73k on Amazon India which looks like a good deal
- Puts out 140W per channel
- Known to pair well with Focals. Interesting the Focal showroom was using Marantz equipment for all demos vs. Naim

Emotiva BasX A2 - 81k in India (500 USD in the US)
- I wonder why the price difference is so high vs. the US price
- I can potentially carry one back from the US in September - anyone done this before and gone through customs?
- Reviews look quite good and call it neutral sounding

My entire stack would look like this:
1) Yamaha WXC-50 - as a streamer to input all sources. I bypass the pre-amp and output optical into number 2
2) MiniDSP 2x4HD - as a DAC + Crossover to speakers/sub + RoomEQ.
3) New power amp
3) New speakers (Focal Aria are frontrunners right now)
4) SVS PB-2000 Pro

I use the fire TV remote as a universal remote to power on tv+streamer, navigate and control volume on the streamer itself. This works for the family as an easy to use solution.
Marantz amps are the most amicable I've heard. It pairs well with every speaker i have vs other amps which are a hit or a miss!

Honky - do check out SB Acoustics - they used to be the OEM for Revel etc:

SB Acoustics, driver OEM for Revel, Wilson and high-end Boston Acoustics, to name a few, has quietly started making complete speakers.​

Yep. XO design by top designer Joachim Gerhard, with transparent documentation in this thread. The Satori drivers are amongst the state of the art. We are talking Revelator and Illuminator level here. Fitting, as the designer of the Illuminator envisioned the Satori as an improvement. SB was formed by a gaggle of Scanspeak's best who resigned after the protracted and ugly restructuring of Tymphany. See here and here for indicative measurements. The cabinet is a pretty truncated pyramid with a front-firing slot port. It is finished in gloss ebony. See first link for pictures. Their release was marked with little fanfare. It was only when I struck up a conversation with someone local to SB that I found out. All indications are that price before shipping is significantly under $1500/pair. Something interesting I thought I'd share that has not caught the attention of any other audio community AFAIK.

thanks, could not go through all but these seem to be well reviewed drivers. I

On the speaker my view on the amplification seems to be similar to the link you gave. although 700 W is really excessive !
Not if you want to do some welding at home too…..😉

If you have access to US shopping, please consider parasound amps. But pick amps after you have finalized speakers
Given the space that you have, you can consider high sensitivity speakers like Rethm Bhaava or Lyrita horns. I believe that these can deliver adequate SPL to fill your room. We have users of both these systems in HFV.

Thanks for sharing. I see the ribbon tweeters and enjoyed it on emotiva airmotivs when I heard them. Was it comfortable for longer listening sessions or does it get quite bright. Will definitely try them out.
I have had extensive sessions with ribbons of a few kinds, and I didn't find them fatiguing at all, while rendering the highs in a fantastic manner for both stereo and movies.

Maybe you could add the Martin Logan Motion 60 XTi in your next round of auditions.

I did two sessions of different songs fully treated rooms of roughly your size, and this pair was the best speaker I heard barring none.

Regards and good hunting. :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back