Speaker Upgrade - 7.1 in 1.5-2L Range

sunith

All:

I have a dedicated HT room built, and was piloting with my 1998 model Bose AM-15, and now I want to upgrade to a more powerful speakers.
I watch mostly movies (DVD, Blu-Ray, HD content - Firestick etc.). My room size is 12 X 20. with a Epson Tw8300 projector at around 150 Inch screen.
My budget is around 1.5 L , but can stretch to 2L for a great set. I can do 5.1 for now for this budget and upgrade to 7.1 later - Thats an option also.
I have Onkyo NR-609, which can take upto 7.2 channels, and max 160W.

Demoed the Focal set @ DNI, which sounded good.. 2L is what he initially said. Maybe it will come down.
Planning to do the Polk Demo @ Profx this week...

Fellow FMs, pls suggest other options and places to demo - I am in Bangalore.

Hi Sunith...

A 12x20 sized room is quiet big and will need floor standers + matching centre speakers in the front. And the same series bookshelves for surround duties. I would break down the pricing by average estimations to see what floor standers you should start looking for :
1. Floor stander pair - x
2. Centre channel speaker - x/4
3. Book shelves pair - x/3

So total is x+x/3+x/4 = 2L

So x = 1.27L

So that lands you in the territory of Qacoustics concept series, or monitor audio silver series or tannoy revolution xt6f series. Iam sure more experienced forum members can suggest more floor stander options around a budget of 1.2 L.

I have deliberately kept the subwoofer out of the above calculation. A good sub might eat off 1L for itself. And will not leave much for the remaining. So use your Bose sub for now, if it is possible to connect to your AVR. Or wait a while and save some money and then buy a good sub.

I have been investing in my HT setup for the last three years, buying one good thing at a time , as and when funds permit. And iam still not there with everything I need. Iam yet to get a good potent sub. I might gift myself one this Christmas or Pongal 2019 :)

So please don't rush into it with the intention of having everything in your room by next Sunday. Buy one thing at a time, and gradually build a great sounding system over the next few years :)

All:

I have a dedicated HT room built, and was piloting with my 1998 model Bose AM-15, and now I want to upgrade to a more powerful speakers.
I watch mostly movies (DVD, Blu-Ray, HD content - Firestick etc.). My room size is 12 X 20. with a Epson Tw8300 projector at around 150 Inch screen.
My budget is around 1.5 L , but can stretch to 2L for a great set. I can do 5.1 for now for this budget and upgrade to 7.1 later - Thats an option also.

Demoed the Focal set @ DNI, which sounded good.. 2L is what he initially said. Maybe it will come down.

With that budget you can get lots of other speakers....audition Polks (RTiA series), Jamos (C Series), Wharfedales, Taga, etc.....

Never reveal your actula budget....audition with same content and decide

So, I had a demo of the Polk today at ProFx. The Rti A7 and A5 sounded great. Based on my requirement, they have given RtiA5 for Right and Left, CSiA6 for Center, FXI A6 for Surrounds (2 sets), and DSW PRO 660 as SubW.
MRP 1.85, willing to give 15% discount..
Feedback ?

If you are doing only video and no music, you could very well go with RTiA3 bookshelves for the fronts.
Did you audition and compare the DSW 550 sub?

If you are doing only video and no music, you could very well go with RTiA3 bookshelves for the fronts.
Did you audition and compare the DSW 550 sub?

My room size is 12 X 20 (dedicated setup). ProFx suggested A5s. I will be mostly watching movies only
Looks like DWS 550 is much cheaper. I plan to take my receiver to their shop and audition that way.

So, I had a demo of the Polk today at ProFx. The Rti A7 and A5 sounded great. Based on my requirement, they have given RtiA5 for Right and Left, CSiA6 for Center, FXI A6 for Surrounds (2 sets), and DSW PRO 660 as SubW.
Feedback ?

I doubt you'll need two pairs of Fxi A6, I had them with RTI a5 in my room of 14x18 and it overshadowed everything else. Eventually I sold my Fxi A6. I think you can go with two pairs of Polk OWM3 for Surrounds, instead of Fxi A6 and buy two DSW 550 instead of one. Since your requirements are mainly movies you'll be greatly benefitted by two subwoofer strategy. Also Polk RTI series lack adequate bass output, in a longish room, which can be supplemented well by 2 subs.

Polks are good for HT duties, consider one pair of Fxi A4 if you want Dipole kind of surrounds. Polk RTI a5 are easy to drive for AVR, so avoid RTI A7 which might need a dedicated power amp for optimum performance.

Feedback ?

15% is good...try to push for 20%........

Looking for standard 7.1 configuration. Maybe start with 5.1 and then plan the additional surrounds..

Whichever brand you like / prefer, consider going identical for atleast 6 speakers, if not 7..

You had mentioned abt 150inch diagonal screen.. I hope the center will not be placed too close to floor..

I will be mostly watching movies only

ProFx suggested A5s.

When you will have a sub in your set-up, there isn't a need for FS.. As other members have mentioned, choose a BS and add dual subs.. Placement of subs in ideal room locations shouldn't be an issue as it is dedicated room..

Since you have a sizeable budget, you can comfortably complete a 7.2 if you take BS + dual sub route..

Ok After the long wait, I have almost zeroed on the speaker configuration. I am working with Bluewave @ Bangalore for this.

Front (L and R) - Q Acoustics 3050i (76.9K)
Center Q Acoustics 3090ci (19.9K)
Surorunds Taga Harmony Platinum S100 (49.8K) - 4 pieces (2 Surround sets - Dipolar speaker)
Subwoofer - Sunfire SDS-12 (69K).

I have listened to the configuration and was really good. Overall I am getting a 15% discount, and final price at 1.81L including delivery, installation and Sub Cable. I have already wired for other speakers, and I will be using Onkyo NR-609 as the receiver.

All:

Can the speakers go behind the screen?
It would be easy if you share some pictures of your room.

Really no reason why you shouldn't go for Qacoustics surrounds as well..

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back