Speaker Upgrade Help

sunith

All:

I am planning to upgrade my BOSE AM15 speakers to a dedicated and more powerful speakers, as I have done a dedicated HT room now.
I would like to first start with a Center Channel speaker.. Can u advise,if I can use it along with the other speakers from Bose ? - coz, I am relatively happy with Bose surrounds and Sub.. Maybe the Center is a bit weak, and is keen to replace that with something else..

Will any other brand go with Bose in terms of connection ? I am using an Onkyo NR-609 AVR, in a 12X19 dedicated room with a 120inch screen.

Also - any suggestions for a good center channel in the 15-20K range ?

Regards, Sunith

I would regard only two ranges in Bose as OK. One is 301 book shelves next is AM15&AM10. Other than these two all other Bose are just a hipe and compromise that's it.

Now coming to your point in general Bose is known for their very poor Midrange quality, which is the more demanding requirement in any movie setup. That's the reason you are finding centre channel week which gets only Mid frequency.

So I would suggest you to get Bose VCS10 which is a dedicated centre channel speaker from Bose and will fit well with in your budget.

If you are thinking about upgradation and this as the first step then don't think about Bose at all.

I have B&W HTM62 Centre channel speaker this will be future proof and you will thoroughly enjoy the vocals and the deep throat voice. You may have to stretch your budget very marginally.

PM me if you are interested.

Thanks

R Balagopalan

I would like to first start with a Center Channel speaker.. Can u advise,if I can use it along with the other speakers from Bose ? - coz, I am relatively happy with Bose surrounds and Sub.. Maybe the Center is a bit weak, and is keen to replace that with something else..

Yes.. you can comfortably use any other center channel speaker in midst of Bose.. But, you might start to feel Left & right channels left out.. You may consider upgrading L,C,R (if your budget permits) from the same brand, same family (Preferably same speakers) and move the Bose speakers as surrounds & surr back in your dedicated 7.1 set-up.. This way LCR will be of uniform sound in the front, which is most important for movies..

As the fellow member elangoas mentioned above, you need to get the L,C,R from the same brand and preferably the same series. This is just to make sure the 'Timbre & Timber' matching in a HT system. The closer the timbre match, the smoother the overall sound quality.

TimbRE = The quality or tone distinguishing voices or instruments; tone color; clang tint; as, the timbre of the voice; the timbre of a violin.

TimbER = wood.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1421966-timbre-matching.html

All:

I am planning to upgrade my BOSE AM15 speakers to a dedicated and more powerful speakers, as I have done a dedicated HT room now.

Will any other brand go with Bose in terms of connection ? I am using an Onkyo NR-609 AVR, in a 12X19 dedicated room with a 120inch screen.

Also - any suggestions for a good center channel in the 15-20K range ?

Regards, Sunith

You should not upgrade the bose Centre. The bose uses a crossover built into the woofer and hence you have to route the signal from the Amp to the woofer and then to the speakers. The sub is actually crossed over pretty high (I feel almost at 200hz plus) and a lot of the weight in the sound is a function of the sub not the satellites. Hence trying to integrate a Centre with the bose will result in a masala.

If you can save up and buy a full morel or focal speaker setup or something like that. You'll get much better sound.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back