Speaker upgrade options

ece2k2

I am looking to upgrade my speakers - especially the LCR ones. My current set up includes:
1. Boston Acoustics A360 towers - L/R
2. Klipsch RP250C - C
3. Klipsch RP140SA - Surrounds
4. Boston Acoustics A26 - Back
5. B&W AM1 - Ceiling mounted atmos
6. Rythmik FV15HP - Subwoofer
7. Anthem MRX 720 receiver
8. Music Fidelity M6si dual mono amp - For driving L/R speakers
9. Crown XLS 1502 - For driving back speakers
10. Crown XLS 2002 - For driving ceiling mounted atmos speakers

I understand that my current set of speakers are a mish mash combination, but they seem to work decently well - probably because of Anthem ARC. While I am happy with the surrounds and atmos speakers, I would like to improve the LCR speakers to start with. My usage would be 80/20 for movies/music.

I don't have any sound treatment done as the room is supposed to double up as a living room as well. Room dimensions are 16x32 feet.

While I don't have a very strict budget for the LCR speakers, I don't want to splurge if the additional money is not going to give incredibly better results. I am based out of Coimbatore and I should be able to audition major brands out here. But when I auditioned during my last purchase, things got confusing as all the brands were not available under one roof and it was impossible to do a proper comparison when the room/setup changes from one place to another. Please share your thoughts.

I would recommend to make a plan for your next setup. Uniform response from speakers are recommended for smooth immersive effect.

You can audition few brands with you favourite content. Preferably a series which got suitable LCR and surrounds.
Then you can upgrade step by step.

If demo rooms are not available in coimbatore for your preferred brands, you may make a visit to chennai or bangalore (if possible) for audition.

If demo rooms are not available in coimbatore for your preferred brands, you may make a visit to chennai or bangalore (if possible) for audition.

Could you please list down some must explore brands that I need to look at. Thank you!

Room dimensions are 16x32 feet.

That is a very large room.. Do you use the full room length ?..

I would like to improve the LCR speakers to start with.

I don't have any sound treatment done as the room is supposed to double up as a living room as well.

I think before your upgrade to the next speakers, you should try adding some treatment for L-C-R.. Understand It is a living room, but try to add treatment in-between at-least L-C-R.. It could well be an issue with the room.. Some treatment might help improve he listening experience.. Do give a try..

That is a very large room.. Do you use the full room length ?..

Yes, but the MLP is in the middle of the room - at around 14 feet.

I think before your upgrade to the next speakers, you should try adding some treatment for L-C-R.. Understand It is a living room, but try to add treatment in-between at-least L-C-R.. It could well be an issue with the room.. Some treatment might help improve he listening experience.. Do give a try..

Unfortunately, the LCR speakers are positioned just in front of veneer wood work and I cannot tamper with that due to WAF issues. I have included a picture of the current LCR speaker setup. Thank you!image0.jpeg

Unfortunately, the LCR speakers are positioned just in front of veneer wood work and I cannot tamper with that due to WAF issues. I have included a picture of the current LCR speaker setup. Thank you!View attachment 41682
Emotiva series will suite you. Please contact ht store Bangalore- MR lokesh

Unfortunately, the LCR speakers are positioned just in front of veneer wood work and I cannot tamper with that due to WAF issues. I have included a picture of the current LCR speaker setup. Thank you!

Right.. Hardly any space to accommodate treatment..

Unfortunately, the LCR speakers are positioned just in front of veneer wood work and I cannot tamper with that due to WAF issues. I have included a picture of the current LCR speaker setup. Thank you!View attachment 41682
You have a very nice room.
Is it possible to modify your rack? Speaker positioning is an important step, no room correction ARC or Dirac can correct the shortfall
in speaker position. If you can move your sub and move left and right speaker away from side and rear wall it will improve sound I guess and may not need to replace your current speakers.Unfortunately best aesthetic position of speakers may not be the best position for good sound.

You have a very nice room.
Is it possible to modify your rack? Speaker positioning is an important step, no room correction ARC or Dirac can correct the shortfall
in speaker position. If you can move your sub and move left and right speaker away from side and rear wall it will improve sound I guess and may not need to replace your current speakers.Unfortunately best aesthetic position of speakers may not be the best position for good sound.

Thank you. The rack is a fixed one end I cannot make any modifications to it. Probably when I build a dedicated HT room in the future, I might have the freedom to set things up as I please. But for now I need to live with it

If you are considering Emotiva C2, you can try for the new model C2+.
Emotiva speakers are 4Ohm speakers, recommended to drive using power amp - possibly using emotiva power amps.

Try to match the center channel driver size with Front L/R. If you are going for 6.5" or 7" drivers in center channel, try to have similar size drivers in L/R as well.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back