Speaker upgrade or Avr upgrade as the best upgrade.

No chance to change anything :(
Then i would suggest thinking about getting satellites instead of full range speakers. They perform best when in tight spaces compared to floor-standers which require a lot of breathing room.

Had a wild thought. Visited the Bose store today and auditioned the Lifestyle 650. Thinking about changing the entire system to Bose. Would that be foolish soundwise or something to consider?
Other option is to change the avr and add 4 Atmos ceiling speakers.

Or better yet, You can audition likes of Q Acoustics 3000,NHT SuperZero ,Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 ,GoldenEar SuperCinema3 and similar packages. This lets you keep the current AVR and get decent sound from smaller speakers.

Hmm. To be honest the sound I'm getting from my existing speakers are amazing. Don't know what would happen if I change to satellites.

Hmm. To be honest the sound I'm getting from my existing speakers are amazing. Don't know what would happen if I change to satellites.
:D:D:D LOL! Now that you have decided that you like the signature, the only next best thing you can do is to get some room treatment done. That is all I can say. maybe Anthem's room correction software can do a better job than Denon's. But dont expect miracles with any othe AVr upgrade as your speaker positioning is the biggest weakness.

Absolutely agree. The issue is that there is NO way those speakers can be placed elsewhere. So it's the same or Satellites which I'm skeptical whether it will play with the same heft as the existing setup. It's a huge gamble tbh.

Tuff...what's your take on this. Do you feel the Bose will be a better option instead of the existing system due to the extra room. Also I could get extra room for a 65 inch Oled in future

Yes true. The Bose system sounded good. It's very small in size and has a good sound.
What's your opinion on Atmos. Will there be a significant improvement in immersion with the height channels added ? Worth cutting the ceiling and adding 4 more speakers as height channels ?

In that case you can go for quality bookshelf speakers which can be wall mounted and integrate them with quality subwoofer ( which can be place at suitable position). With proper integration between two , you will get the desired results without compromise in sound quality and can avoide big floor standing speakers. If you are considering 5.1 satalite subwoofer system, I will suggest to look for Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000. Little expensive but no compromise in sound quality and excellence in HT. Between Anthem MRX 720 Vs Denon AVR x4400h.. Anthem have great sound quality with good features and Denon have good sound quality with great features. Now you can decide between sound quality and features. While selecting 4K LED TV for self I have sacrifice LGs Dolby Vision against Sony picture quality.
Room Acoustics and speakers placements plays major role in performance of equipments as a system. Different calibration systems help a lot in this regards but you can't expect results of dedicated HT room so within the constraints try to get best out of your system. Spend more time on experimenting with existing system and then decide for upgradation.

Excellent tips Mahale. I guess the way is clearer now. Shall check the points you mentioned above. Yes. Bose is a huge expense and at not a really huge sound improvement. Will explore the bookshelf route too.

I am not sure whether placing a bookshelf speaker or a satellite speaker in a wall corner instead of a Floorstanding speakers would provide any better result. Any speaker, regardless of size, in that location would be impacted by the SBIR issue that I mentioned before. If you really want to simulate a small speaker behaviour with your existing loudspeakers then just set the cutover frequency to a higher level like 110 hz or above and experience the performance. Your current speaker/ drivers are likely going to be better than any average bookshelf or satellite speakers and would perform better, unless you spend a lot of money buying a good quality small-sized speaker like Herbeth or something else. Anyway that is purely my opinion...

I see your point Indranil and had the same line of thought....how much better would things get with Satellites instead of the current setup !

Technically the satellites or bookshelf you chose, you need to ensure proper integration with the right subwoofer so you dont face the challenge of missing frequencies....most would go with the same brand for proper matching ...some will mix and match brands.....

I would agree with Indranil Sen's views......

Why not play around manually with the Crossover settings on the AVR and even if there is a Tone control or EQ available? This may help in outputting a different sound signature.

Then i would suggest thinking about getting satellites instead of full range speakers. They perform best when in tight spaces compared to floor-standers which require a lot of breathing room.
If that is the only place possible in that room, I would not have bought a speaker which cannot breathe there. floorstanders sound their best when they have breathing space left to either sides. The right speaker is definitely boxy sounding in this case. I think smaller speakers would sound better here.Or a room upgrade before touching the system;)

I have bought lot of used speakers before. Every time I got lucky, there was someone who never understood the potential of the gear they had , only because they didn't start thinking from the room. ;)

[...]there was someone who never understood the potential of the gear they had , only because they didn't start thinking from the room. ;)

+1. The room can, and often indeed does, have a dramatic impact on both audio and video quality. Most people, IMO, never get close to realizing the potential of their equipment because they ignore the room.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back