Speaker upgrade or Avr upgrade as the best upgrade.

sunster

Hi All I have a paradigm 5.1 setup. With paradigm monitor 9s and fronts. Paradigm center and surrounds with a Boston amp.
Was getting the itch to upgrade. My avr is the Denon x2200w. What would be an incremental uograde..the avr or the floorstander paradigm monitor 9s?
I'm thinking Yamaha Rx v 583
Denon x4400h in avrs
Or paradigm prestige 75f for the fronts.

I would recommend an AVR update.. There are way too many options out there..Since you already have paradigm speakers and inclined to upgrade for the higher versions later.,why don’t you try Anthem AVR receivers..They are very good and from the Paradigm stable

Major reasons to upgrade AVR:
-----------------------------------
1. Current AVR doesn't have features you need.
2. You are driving the amps in your AVR to clipping.
3. You don't like the room correction packaged with it.

If none of the above hold true, I'd suggest an upgrade on the speakers.

Last edited:
Hi All I have a paradigm 5.1 setup. With paradigm monitor 9s and fronts. Paradigm center and surrounds with a Boston amp.
Was getting the itch to upgrade. My avr is the Denon x2200w. What would be an incremental uograde..the avr or the floorstander paradigm monitor 9s?
Denon x4400h in avrs

Hi

Would suggest you visit a Paradigm dealer and audition with different AVRs....Denon 3xxx models and above....Marantz SR series.....Yamaha see the A1070......you can also read dedicated owner threads of these AVR owners here on HFV to get first hand feedback....

End of the day...audition and decide......

I have audition Paradigm Monitor 9 with Denon AVR x2000 and Anthem MRX520. Already Paradigm Monitor 9 are one of the best speakers available in market today under 100K and have excellent performance. Matching electronic definitely improve the performance to next level. When I auditioned with Denon , I found them little above average on performance scale. Next auditioned with Anthem , the entire sound signature changed to next level. I can't believe that same speakers with different electronic can perform like a miracle. Bass was tight, agile and fast. High frequencies were detail, chrisp and clean. Definitely I will advise you to audition same speakers with different electronic and then decide. For upgradation of speaker over monitor 9, must have very good budget ( 100 to 120K) in which you can have excellent AVR like Anthem MRX520, Denon AVR x4400h or Yamaha A-1070.

Mahale that’s a revelation. I had the same thinking but was unable to actually audition and compare anthem with DENON with the monitor 9s

I shall explore the anthem 720, Yamaha aventage series and DENON high end 4400. What would be your suggestion to match the paradigm monitor 9s

Yamaha 1070 would be cheapest, next the Denon X4400 & most expensive would be the anthem, so ultimately depends on what your budget is

sunster- It's hard to point out any one thing as a best upgrade because both speakers and other electronics could lead to a substantial upgrade in terms of audio performance. I would prefer spending most of my energy and budget in getting the speakers first that suit my taste when it comes to music reproduction. I believe that this speaker selection is the single most important factor which influences the overall sound of any system. Once it is done then the entire chain of electronics could be built around the speakers. You already have a decent pair of loudspeakers and if you love the sound then I would suggest looking into the separates instead of a single box AVR upgrade path. For example you could invest into a good integrated stereo amplifier or a combination of stereo pre-amplifier and amplifier to drive your speakers. It all comes down to how much you would like to spend for an upgrade.
There are few other things you could consider as a potential upgrade option. These are
1. upgrading your power quality e.g installing dedicated AC lines for your audio components
2. changing the wall receptacles to a good audiophile quality receptacle
3. installing room acoustic products like bass traps, diffusors, etc
4. installing a good power conditioner/ power transformers feeding your audio components
5. experiment with audiophile cables (power/interconnect/speaker)
6. installing vibration control platforms

Now coming to the speaker upgrade option, I have heard the Paradigm Persona series of loudspeakers and they are simply outstanding. You might want to audition them if you are thinking of upgrading your speakers.

Thanks.

Certainly you have one of the best speakers and no need to upgrade now until you don't have a potential amplifier which can do justice with them. Anthem 720 is a blind buy with Paradigm Monitor 9. I will assure you will not upgrade your speakers once you upgraded to Anthem 720. Anthem is far better than Denon, Marantz and Yamaha but cost near about 1.5 to 1.8 times for just seven channels amplification. Anthem will infuse new life in your speakers which you can enjoy for longer time. You will never come to know the true potential of your speakers with existing amplifier. People are upgrading from Dali,Polk, Boston Acoustics, mission to Paradigm Monitor speakers. Audition is must for any upgradation.....

Denon x4400h in avrs
What areas are you looking to improve?

You need to upgrade your AVR to a high end level as other FMs suggested, You have a wonderful speakers in your hand Paradigm Monitor 9...
which version of monitor series you have? Paradigm Monitor 9 v7 or old version of monitor 9 ?

Monitor 9 V6 lack bass extension where as v7 have very good. If you are happy with Monitor 9 v7 and looking for hefth consider Monitor 11 v7. They have deeper low end and fuller sound signature compare to 9. Not audition 11 just read few online reviews.

Hi Mahale. I have auditioned the monitor 11s and they are good but I have a limitation for the installation and the monitor 11s wont fit my AV area. The Monitor 9s fir perfect. So I cant even consider the Monitor 11. Now Im leaning toward upgrading my AVR to probably a Denon 4400h or an Anthem MRX 720. Need to check the financial damage on that. Will also add Atmos ceiling speakers. The upgraded AVRs will also give me additional upgrade options to add an amplifier later.

Some pictures of my current setup. This is the ceiling where i intend to install the Atmos in ceiling speakers. Mahale, you will realise why I cant keep the monitor 9s from the pics :) The Asus AC5300 router is the newest addition. It looks like a spaceship ;)

Attachments

• 20180708_125902 copy.jpg
    20180708_125902 copy.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20180708_125910 copy.jpg
    20180708_125910 copy.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20180708_125925 copy.jpg
    20180708_125925 copy.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 20180708_125933 copy.jpg
    20180708_125933 copy.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 20180708_125938 copy.jpg
    20180708_125938 copy.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 34
Some pictures of my current setup. This is the ceiling where i intend to install the Atmos in ceiling speakers. Mahale, you will realise why I cant keep the monitor 9s from the pics :) The Asus AC5300 router is the newest addition. It looks like a spaceship ;)
Thanks for uploading pics. You speaker positions are not at all optimal. The center speaker is designed to be horizontal. The side walls are uneven. Your problem is not the gear, it seems the room is the culprit. You may have to think repositioning the speakers to get the best they can offer.

That is exactly my thoughts... Placing speakers very close to wall/corner will cause SBIR (Speaker Boundary Interference Response) issues which would compromise the soundstaging. However this issue would hurt 2 channel listening environment more than HT environment. I would change the current layout first before buying any other electronics. You are likely going to get a much better upgrade when rearrangement of the speakers are coupled with adding room acoustic products in the room.
Thanks

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back