Speaker Upgrade Sideways

avgeek

Hey guys,

I listen mostly to rock and blues, and then a smattering of all genres including the latest in indipop.

I like the sound signature of KEF and Monitor Audio.

I am looking forward to upgrading my current setup, but instead of planning on an upgrade that will give me incremental benefits, I'm looking to do a sideways upgrade that will change the "sonic structure" of my current setup (KEF and Marantz).

So I have decided to go for a speaker upgrade that will take me away from the boxed speakers that I have been listening to all of my life.

In short I have decided to go with ESL, open baffle, or horn speakers.

Among the 3, ESL is ruled out right now for massive budget allocation (I'm thinking Martin Logan). So I have decided to go with either open baffle or horn speakers.

My budget is between 1.2 to 1.5 lakhs.

Please recommend any, or if any FM is looking for an upgrade and wants to part with his existing setup, I would certainly appreciate the offer.

Thanks.

Where are you based? Suggest going to Delhi to listen to the Lyrita horns
There are also some Altec speakers for sale on the forum

So I have decided to go for a speaker upgrade that will take me away from the boxed speakers that I have been listening to all of my life.

The first thing that came to my mind when you said 'upgrade that will take me away from the boxed speakers' are the Magnepans!
I heard it when I visited @tuff
I had a pretty good listen to form an opinion.

The openness, the tonal quality is something that you must experience.
I know, some people just hate it in the first few seconds.
I am one of those who loved it in the first few seconds and so I jumped in to recommend it.

The next thing that comes to mind is the Bose 901.
Its one of its kind. Probably the only one which can give you stereo at any listening position!

Regards,

Ravindra.

Where are you based? Suggest going to Delhi to listen to the Lyrita horns
There are also some Altec speakers for sale on the forum

Thanks, I am based in the South Indian state of Telangana, a small city Nizamabad.

The first thing that came to my mind when you said 'upgrade that will take me away from the boxed speakers' are the Magnepans!
I heard it when I visited @tuff
I had a pretty good listen to form an opinion.

The openness, the tonal quality is something that you must experience.
I know, some people just hate it in the first few seconds.
I am one of those who loved it in the first few seconds and so I jumped in to recommend it.

The next thing that comes to mind is the Bose 901.
Its one of its kind. Probably the only one which can give you stereo at any listening position!

Regards,

Ravindra.
Thanks, haven't really heard them, but I will certainly research and read up on them.

1.7 gets my vote too for ESLs but your budget may be an issue. Lyrita is a great option for horn speaks and their signature will be dramatically different from KEF/MA. Listen to them with Viren's tube amps and you may love the experience. Best part would be the price :)

I recently bought a pair of tannoy revolution XT8F in the budget u have quoted. U maybe read reviews on google.

Cadence is great but needs a panel change every 8 years. So if you buy used, plan for the panel cost at an appropriate time.

Open baffles are very easy to DIY. Worth considering.

Regards,
Sharad Medhavi

I recently bought a pair of tannoy revolution XT8F in the budget u have quoted. U maybe read reviews on google.
I went to a dealer in Chennai yesterday to check Tannoy XT6F and XT8Fs but he was saying that Tannoys are shutting shop and they don't have any new stocks. Don't know how far it's true. They asked me to check Monitor Audio silver series which is also quite good according to reviews.

One dealer in Chennai told me that arcam has also stopped. I later learnt he was heavily dealing only in Cambridge products.

Take what these dealers say with a pinch on salt. They have their own products and margins they push on customers.

I went to a dealer in Chennai yesterday to check Tannoy XT6F and XT8Fs but he was saying that Tannoys are shutting shop and they don't have any new stocks. Don't know how far it's true. They asked me to check Monitor Audio silver series which is also quite good according to reviews.
That is news from 2016. They intended to shift the production to China, from Scotland. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-36228720
I am sure the company will not go down, they have a decent market share including studio monitors.

The regular speaker manufacturing has gone to China but the Prestige series is still made in Scotland... Tannoy is big in studio monitors and home theatres..Cannot go out of business like that as they have good sales...

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back