Speaker wiring and Acoustics advice / consultation.

fedexp

Hello all,
This is my first post on this wonderful forum that I've been a fan of for a while - for its expert advice and people passionate about getting it perfect when it comes to AV.

Anyway, Here's my situation:
I recently purchased a 1500sft apartment in Hyderabad. I have to finalize electrical fittings in all rooms and my flat is a 2BHK with no dedicate home theatre room. My living room is a rectangular 24x13 - however, I can only use about 13x14 area of it for my TV and home theater. I am a beginner when it comes to home theaters and this would be my first home theater. I've set my budget to 70k-1lac for this. I've a 42" LG LD650 LCD TV, An xbox 360, A Popcorn Hour A210 and about 3TB of Bluray Rips. So, I am huge movie buff,gamer and I appreciate dialogue clarity better than huge bass. (well.. I'd also like my action movies loud :))

1) My main usage of the HT would be 80% movies and 20% music. I've checked out HT packages sold by Onkyo (SR608) and Yamaha series in shopping malls - while I am not expert enough to tell if their quality is good - from what I read on this forum, something tells me that I should go buy different components in my HT individually and then assemble it (like many ppl do it here) - For a budget like mine, would you suggest this?
2) I need to inform my electrician/builder about wall changes for speaker arrangement - I am assuming that for my small living room a 7.1 satellite speaker system would do it. However, I want to have extra speakers in 2 others rooms of the apartment (for listening to music and such). I would like the wiring to be concealed - so, I'd have to figure out how and where I would install these spakers points and if it is possible to do it. What would your suggestion be for this?
3) Since I am novice, Do you think I should hire a sound consultant for helping me setup speaker points and stuff? Do you know of any consultant in Hyderabad who could help me with this? Concealed wiring is important for me, which I don't think I'd be able to get if I buy a HT after moving in into my apartment.

I'd really appreciate your quick inputs on this, coz I'd have to take a decision in a day or two.

For speaker placement you can visit sites like these which provide guidance on placement

Dolby Home Theater Speaker Placement and Setup Guide

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/129023.html

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/speaker-setup-guidelines/loudspeaker-placement-guide

Regarding selecting speaker wire gauge you may refer to the below post of mine which i found from internet some time back and used it for my own setup

http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/15607-speaker-auditioning-experiences-kolkata-8.html#post228545

wire brand selection I think you have to decide based on different posts available in this forum and of course what is available to you locally unless you plan to get them from any dealer members over here who ship nationally.

Last edited:
1) My main usage of the HT would be 80% movies and 20% music. I've checked out HT packages sold by Onkyo (SR608) and Yamaha series in shopping malls - while I am not expert enough to tell if their quality is good - from what I read on this forum, something tells me that I should go buy different components in my HT individually and then assemble it (like many ppl do it here) - For a budget like mine, would you suggest this?

As has been suggested in the previous post, look at your sitting position and place the speakers accordingly. For the front LCR, keep them at ear level when you are sitting. Something like 3.5 to 4 feet from the ground. If you are forced to place them higher, make sure the speakers are firing downwards.

In terms of equipment, Denon 1911 or Onkyo 608/609 are good. In terms of speakers look at QA 2000 series, or Canton Movie series. If you are looking for loud sound, you may need to look for more powerful amplifiers and floor standing speakers that may not fit your budget nor your space.

You will have to relook at your budget as you have not taken into account cabling, stabilisers, and labour. Usually it is safe to add 15% of equipment costs for wiring, roughly 12K for a stabiliser, and 10-15K for consulting.

2) I need to inform my electrician/builder about wall changes for speaker arrangement - I am assuming that for my small living room a 7.1 satellite speaker system would do it. However, I want to have extra speakers in 2 others rooms of the apartment (for listening to music and such). I would like the wiring to be concealed - so, I'd have to figure out how and where I would install these spakers points and if it is possible to do it. What would your suggestion be for this?

If you are using book shelf or satellite speakers, these can be hung on the wall. In terms of wiring, they can be carried through conduits, unless you want to dig holes in the walls to conceal the wiring. This should usually be done at the civil construction stage, and maybe too late now.

For the addition two speakers, use the Zone 2 in your amplifier. Remember, when you use Zone 2, your main zone will become a 5.1

3) Since I am novice, Do you think I should hire a sound consultant for helping me setup speaker points and stuff? Do you know of any consultant in Hyderabad who could help me with this? Concealed wiring is important for me, which I don't think be able to get if I buy a HT after moving in into my apartment.

If you plan this properly, you can do it yourself with the help of an electrician. Look at the Dolby site and see if you understand what is written there. If not, I am sure many members here will be glad to help.

Cheers

Last edited:
Typically what you do is to run the conduits concealed in the wall and run speaker wires in them, and have plates at each end which have connectors to terminate the ends of the concealed wires. If possible you can cut a groove and put the conduits in it, and then replaster and paint it.

thank you all for your inputs, guys. venkatcr - appreciate your detailed response - thank you for the same, it helps.
It looks like I will have to run the conduits concealed in the wall and run speaker wires in them - and NOW seems to be right time for it coz they are doing the whole electrical setup in my apartment.
Well, I've decided to consult an expert, instead of going through a lot of technical jargon on the dolby website. Justdial.com suggested LSS Home Cinema solutions - called in one Mr.Srikanth who is going to visit my flat tomorrow and suggest stuff.

I will keep you guys posted on how it goes.

fedexp,

Make sure electrical cables and speakers they run in different conduit,you don't need to run the cables at presently ,just put the conduits for the speaker cables ,cables can be arranged later with electrician.

For center speaker ,Front L and R roughly you can measure and put a junction box with plate closely to speaker position for all three.for surround back you need to see to accordingly given in Dolby website.

Regards

sunil, thank you for the advice.
so..here is the update, guys..
I met one mr.Srikanth from LSS home solutions at my WIP apartment - he was professional enough and quick to assess the flat and sound dynamics. He suggested that for a 13x15 kind of space (unenclosed), a 5.1 with satellite speakers will do a decent job. He helped me mark speaker points and suggested chipping lines on the wall for running conduits.

Now, he said he would walk me through different auditions of polk audio, yamaha and onkyo over this weekend - well, basically he suggested I should buy

A) A full HT package from Onkyo - S9300THX - costs about 80k INR.
OR
B) A custom package where receivers are one of these: Denon AVR 2311/1911 (70k, 45k) or Onkyo SR608 (48k) or Yamaha RX v667/Rx V767.
and KEF C/Q series Sub, Polk Audio for speakers. - in total, shoots up to 1lac+

I've read a lot reviews for these receivers and I know they are all best selling models.

What do you guys think? For the money I am willing to spend, do you think I am getting a good deal?

Kittu,

as am here 1 or 2 years carrying them back to india is problem ,will use with sony 5.0 speakers ,once i am back at india will find good 7.1 speakers and lcd or led,presently will enjoy with oldies.

Welcome to the forum.

It is not a good idea to be in so much of a hurry, one has to have a lot of patience and planning, moreover there will be many members who may read your post after a few days, and then only will they respond.

Furthermore the replies which you will get, there will be so much of counter exchange of posts, all this takes time.

V.

I'd really appreciate your quick inputs on this, coz I'd have to take a decision in a day or two.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back