Speakers affecting TV intermittently

WickedTA

I setup my Jamo 416 floorstanders up for the first time last night and immediatly saw that each speaker was causing the side of the TV (CRT not LCD) closest to it to become yellow-greenish. When I turned/moved the speakers away from the TV, the discoloration went away and when I brought them close to the TV again, the problem came back.

I was a bit surprised that a decent speaker would not be magnetically shielded (can anyone please confirm if the 416 is indeed shielded?).

Anyways, I turned it all off for the night and when I turn it on again this morning, there were no problems whatsoever :eek:

Any idea why it happened only the first time? Is this a common phenomenon. Due to space restrictions (doors on both sides of the TV stand), it's not possible for me to keep the speakers more than a foot away from the TV.

Ya the speakers may not be magnetically shielded. Thats a surprise as most Jamo are more for the HT experience IMO and should be shielded. Why it only happenend yesterday and is not happening today is puzzling!!! I guess it will happen sooner than later.
Read the manual that came with the speakers. They will have all the information in this regard and will also advise the minimum distance between the speaker and a television.
Regards

Surprisingly I am not bale to find too many details on the 416. I managed to locate a 'Soundstage', and though there is a mention of the 416, the details are very sp****, and there is not mention of magnetic sheilding.

WickedTA, please check the manual for specific mention of magnetic shielding. If you purchased it from a Jamo shop, I am sure they will be able to help you.

Placement of one foot on either side of the TV seems too small a distance. But if you have space restrictions, it cannot be avoided, I suppose.

Cheers

Thanks for your response guys. I did check the speaker manual and it makes no mention of the presence/absence of magnetic shielding.

I got the speakers from e-zone and unfortunately, the salesperson who did the demo and answered queries seemed to know even less than what I know (and I myself hardly know anything!). I doubt if he'd be able to authoritatively confirm if the shielding is present or not.

Google was not too helpful in getting the required info :(

Anyways, I'm hoping this gremlin has gone for good.

Hi,
I doubt these gremlins are gone for good.
1 foot either side of the TV seems too little seperation for your speakers and maybe u can juggle with the placement of your audio/video set up.
Regards

Just a wild guess,

Maybe the effect on TV was done while placing the speakers. As you said you just got them a day ago, you must have brought the speakers very close to the TV while you tried to place them in the exact area you wanted and that made the effect on the TV screen.
Maybe now at what position they are, they dont affect the TV.
As I said this is just my guess, observe what happens for few days and then maybe someone else can suggest something.

If suppose it happens again, Dinyaar has given the best solution i.e. try to play with the position of your AV equipments so you can place them in such a way that you can place the speakers a little more far from your TV.

Dinyaar, Rikhav,

Though distance is important for proper sound imaging, would distance matter to magnetically shielded speakers in terms of it disturbing the TV image?

To try this, I placed my mgenetically shielded Wharfedales nearly touching the TV, and nothing happened. I moved it away and nearer the TV a few times to see if it affects the TV image. Nothing.

If the Jamo's are magnetically shielded (as they should be) I am not too sure whether distance from the TV would make a difference. I am wondering if something else could have made a difference. A freak combination of the loudspeakers original position, and actually something else affecting the TV at that moment.

I suppose unless some experimentation is done, or the effect repeats itself, it will be very difficult to come to any conclusion.

Cheers.

Hi Venkat
If i am not wrong you have a LCD, where as WICKED has a CRT TV.
So maybe in the case of CRT's if the speakers are taken just too close even if they are magnetically shielded, it would be creating a problem
So WICKED needs to clear first that did he take them very very close to the TV while placing them, as he does not have the issue right now, when the speakers are little bit far away from the TV

Hi Venkat,
Problem is we are not sure whether they are shielded. Mr Wicked moved them away and the TV was ok and when he moved them back the interference re occured so my guess is they are not shielded.
Another reason to spread them is for better left/right seperation irrespective of shielded or not. I know he is cramped for space but in case of them being unshielded he will have to come up with a different place for his HIFI.
Regards

UPDATE:

So I fired up the system again this evening and guess what? Dinyaar was right. The problems came back :(

So I spent almost a half hour in positioning the speakers relative to the TV and was almost at my wits end when I finally stumbled across a particular postion where the TV discoloration went away.

This position was just 1.5 foot or so to the side of the TV and with the back side of the speaker being in the same plane as the TV's screen.

The weird thing is that moving the speakers further away brought back the discoloration (I'm also limited by the fact that right now I have only 1.5 meter cables on each speaker). The angling of the speaker w.r.to the screen seems to make some difference... if I turn the speakers by 90 degrees such that the cones are facing away from the TV's sides, the problem goes away but this is not acceptable as a solution.

So finally the question is... what kind of help/support can I expect from Jamo, given that these are not exactly cheap speakers? Would they discriminate just because this was not bought at the Jamo Shop, but at another retailer?

Thanks to all for your informative responses till now.

UPDATE:

So I fired up the system again this evening and guess what? Dinyaar was right. The problems came back :(

So I spent almost a half hour in positioning the speakers relative to the TV and was almost at my wits end when I finally stumbled across a particular postion where the TV discoloration went away.

This position was just 1.5 foot or so to the side of the TV and with the back side of the speaker being in the same plane as the TV's screen.

The weird thing is that moving the speakers further away brought back the discoloration (I'm also limited by the fact that right now I have only 1.5 meter cables on each speaker). The angling of the speaker w.r.to the screen seems to make some difference... if I turn the speakers by 90 degrees such that the cones are facing away from the TV's sides, the problem goes away but this is not acceptable as a solution.

So finally the question is... what kind of help/support can I expect from Jamo, given that these are not exactly cheap speakers? Would they discriminate just because this was not bought at the Jamo Shop, but at another retailer?

Thanks to all for your informative responses till now.

Well, now you at least know how to set the speakers to avoid the disturbance. For heavens sake don't let the cable length be a hindrance. Just beg, borrow, or steal some more cables !!

The other thing you have to do is to set the speakers in such a way that they not only not affect the TV, but also give you good sound staging. Usually the front speakers are supposed to be 'toed in'. Imagine a triangle with the speakers as two ends and your sitting position as the third. The speakers must be facing in such as way that you can imagine two edges of the triangle terminating at your sitting position. In this position the back end of the speakers will usually be away from the TV, and that should (hopefully) not create an disturbance to the TV.

I am sot sure about Jamo service. If they are anything like my experience with Onkyo, then God help us!! Hopefully they will charge you a service/visit fee and help you out. Maybe the retailer you bought the speaker from will be able to arm twist Jamo to help you.

It will be very interesting to find out if these speakers are shielded or not.

Cheers

hi wicked.....firstly.....if there is magnetic interference....the speakers are not magnetically shielded.....irrespective of what they claim.....so that's something that you'll have to learn to live with....i don't imagine Jamo will be able to help you in this regard.....especially if the manual doesn't claim they are magnetically shielded, i assume they are not.....not like manufacturers would shy away from mentioning even the tiniest feature on their products....

Generally in a speaker cabinet the magnets will be in the front portion (assuming these are front firing speakers).....if they have side-firing woofers or or are bipolar or something, then there'll be magnets all around so you're screwed :)....even if they are purely front-firing.......putting them in a toed-in position would actually increase the chances of interference, since that would bring the front of the speakers closer to the tube...

maybe you could try and construct a DIY degaussing coil around your TV? (this is purely ignorant speculation, so don't beat me up if this is a bad/infeasible idea).

If your limitation is only cable, then just go get more cable, problem solved. But if space itself is an issue, then i don't know what to do.

venkat, instead of toeing in the speakers (if that exacerbates the interference), can he toe them out? in such a way that the sound will deflect off the walls (assuming it is wall on both sides) and converge at the listening point? would this be worth trying out?

Hi,
As mentioned by other members in the forum, the colour change is due to magentic field from the TV. What is happening is that the colour mask of the TV screen is getting permanently magentized because of the speaker.

Now why it is disappearing the next day is due to the fact that all modern CRT TVs has got an built-in degaussing circuit. This circuit kicks in only during the start up and once the TV is warmed up does not do anything so usually degaussing is done only once.

If you are not moving the speakers now and then, then after a couple of days , this problem should go away by itself.

I faced a similar situation with my bookshelves from an old music system.

Regards

Pradeep

venkat, instead of toeing in the speakers (if that exacerbates the interference), can he toe them out? in such a way that the sound will deflect off the walls (assuming it is wall on both sides) and converge at the listening point? would this be worth trying out?

This sounds like a trick question to me. :confused:

As far as I know, speakers should be kept about 8 feet from each other and either toed-in or kept parallel to the walls. There are a lot of variables, and no way of placing speakers can be specified as guaranteed. The room shape, the speaker specifications, the amplifier specifications all play important parts. But the most important part is what the listener finds he is comfortable with and likes. The speaker placement is a long process where you place the speakers at various position relative to your sitting position, play some music and see if you like it. Then you move the speakers and see what effect it has on the music. You continue this process till you find a position that you like best.

Speaker placement methodologies will help you reduce the number of steps you have to take by specifying some basic positioning guidance.

In any circumstances the speakers can never be toed away from the listener unless you find a foolproof way of reflecting all sound waves perfectly without any loss or alteration.

Cheers

Folks, once again I thank you for your valuable and informative responses. With the weekend approaching, I will try to do some more experimentation. I haven't moved the speakers since yesterday morning and when I turned the system + TV on this morning, there was no interference. (Unfortunately, I didn't check if it was there when I placed them there, cuz I had turned off the TV by then).

I will continue to update you on the progress and what I'm trying out. Also planning to talk to the Jamo people, but only after I have some conclusive results from my experiments. Please keep your comments coming in :)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back