Speakers and Amp for HT/Music.

Harley

Hello friends,

I have ordered Xtreamer SW for watching HD movies (downloaded from net) on my LCD. Audio from the lcd is not loud enough for enjoying movies :( hence planning to buy front speakers. I cannot add surround speakers because recently got my house painted and parents will not approve external wiring for the surround channels. Since i only want front speakers, mostly Bookshelfs, should I consider a stereo amp? My room size is approx 18x12 and want to spend around 40k on the setup. For video my source will be Xtreamer and for Audio i will use my Old Ipod classic.

Also, suggest me speakers and amp.

Thanks for reading.

Regards,
Chintan

i recently auditioned everything possible around in bookshelves..
One word---Paradigm. It beats the wharfedale and everything else out there hands down.
I suggest you get a proper amp rather than a stereo amp.

My suggestion--

Paradigm atom monitor - ard 14-15k
Denon 1610/1611 (grey 1610 in mumbai is 20k now)

@hussain
Where did you audition Paradigm atom monitor speakers? Also, what do you mean by a proper amp? As per my understanding AVR is used for mutli channel speakers and stereo for two channel speakers. AVR is for mostly for Movies and Stereo only for music. However, as explained earlier, i will not add surround speakers or a sub (i know i will miss the sound effects) Still all i want is a decent front speakers which can produce clear dialogues. Do you still suggest AVR?

@GeorgeO
I will not add surround speakers.

yup.. you can always use stereo mode on the avr.. Look this is how it goes. A good avr will last you a good 6/7 yrs or more. My yamaha is 6 yrs and counting. Its future proof to quiet an extent. You might not want a sub, center and surround now, 2 yrs down the line, who knows. The other thing is that when u start playing movies, u will instantly start missing the sub. I suggested paradigm cause a) they sound out right amazing b) the bass on em is decent, lot more than the wharfedales..
Also the very good stereo amps are pretty darn expensive and the cheaper ones really for me dont match up to the sound quality of an avr.
Bud, the 1610 for 20k is a freaking steal.. Go get it

Paradigm, @ worli seaface, "THE DEN" , meet Raheem there, tell him hussain suggested the place, i had auditioned there last week. PM me if you need his cell no

I agree with Hussain. I am currently using Xtremer with a stereo system (CA Azur 650 A and Mirage Omni 550 Front speakers). Works well with music but I felt that the dialogues in movies are not clear - probably adding an additional centre speaker with AVR is a better option.

And though a lot of this Forum members will disagree I feel that for the majority of listeners the modern day AVRs are a good option for stereo music. I may be wrong here - my hearing is not all that good and I have not been able to discern the difference.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back