Speakers and AVR Suggestion (Airplay)

sumit_4palz

Hi ,

I own iPhone 3rd generation, ipad 2 , mac and a Apple TV. My need is to to build a 2.1 system (Speakers and AVR) to which I can stream music using my devices. I am not sure whether buying an Airplay enabled AVR will make sense or not so looking for guidance around that.

1. Audio preference (Music / Movies) = Music - Country, Blues, Rock

2. Budget = Rs. 50-70k

3. Room Size (Length x Breadth x Height) = My room is L shaped, from my TV trolley to wall will be 12 feet

4. Source (CD /DVD /Satellite /Other) = Music stored in hard drives and devices like iphone and ipad

5. Existing components to be integrated with new purchase (Speaker /Amp /Cables /Equaliser /Other) = Apple TV

6. Can used AVR be considered (Y/N) = Y

7. Other details : In future i would like to extend to 5.1 surround system, but my inclination is more towards music rather than music. I am looking for AVR with excellent music quality.

Forgot to mention that i am looking preferably for Floor standers

Last edited:
12 feet you are better buying good bookshelf speakers. You need to stretch your budget a lot if you want musical AVR. The entry level avrs are ok for music and good for movies.

You should look at Denon xxx2 series or marantz srxxx6 series.

For speakers you can look at

Dali Zensor
PSB
Paradigm
Tannoy
Heco 301

Look at Marantz SR6006 for AVR. It supports AirPlay.

I presume 50-70K is combined budget and not for each component (AVR and Speakers). I agree with Kittu, budget may be a constraint here as Marantz SR6006 alone will be about Rs 55k.

On speakers, for the 12 feet distance, like Kittu said, floorstanders will be a bit overdoing and bookshelf should work perfectly fine. However, if you are keen on floorstanders, some other speakers you can try will be Monitor Audio Rx6, Klipsch rf62. These will be about Rs60-70k pair, I guess.

There are some other options on hifimart for both AVR and FS speakers (starting with rs25k per pair) that you can browse trough to get a sense of budget / alternatives and audition some of those (Wharfedale, Boston Acoustics etc.). I have not auditioned most of these but they all seem decent brands to start and work with in a budget.

Thanks Cyril.

I agree with the suggestion that i dont need an AirPlay based AVR. I will try to see if i can get Maranatz, i listen to Acoustic guitar so my inclination is more towards Marantz.

Also can you mention model numbers/type of speakers in Wharfedale/Polk audio to specifically look for?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back