Speakers around $10K

Planning to buy new ones only. I do understand the 'bang for the buck' and convenience of 'break-in' with used speakers but no reliable source given the price range. Please suggest more 'very good options' please accordingly :)
There are no "very good options" IMO under 10K for new. But I have not heard the new kids on the block, perlisten etc. Harbeth only comes to mind. Also Living Voice OBX range, and Devore Nines, all of them will sound very good with Luxman and Accuphase. Harbeth+Luxman is a very well know combo.
Magnepan also comes to mind, but you cannot power them with class A amps like lux or accu.
But there are so many reliable used sources in USA, since it is such a mature market, unlike India, there isn't much risk buying used. Also many dealers sell demo models at half price.
When I lived there, I used to buy off audiogon and usaudiomart and never had issues.
Buying new in US doesn't make much sense to me unless you are a seasoned audiophile who knows what he wants, or you work with a really good and knowledgeable dealer who can guide you to the right speaker.
Where in USA do you live?

P.S: I only recommend speakers I have heard, so there might be a lot of stuff out there, I am missing.
P.P.S: You haven't mentioned room size, music genres, etc, which would help in narrowing down choices. If you are okay with bookshelf then there are lot of "very good options".

Last edited:
There are no "very good options" IMO under 10K for new. But I have not heard the new kids on the block, perlisten etc. Harbeth only comes to mind. Also Living Voice OBX range, and Devore Nines, all of them will sound very good with Luxman and Accuphase. Harbeth+Luxman is a very well know combo.
Magnepan also comes to mind, but you cannot power them with class A amps like lux or accu.
But there are so many reliable used sources in USA, since it is such a mature market, unlike India, there isn't much risk buying used. Also many dealers sell demo models at half price.
When I lived there, I used to buy off audiogon and usaudiomart and never had issues.
Buying new in US doesn't make much sense to me unless you are a seasoned audiophile who knows what he wants, or you work with a really good and knowledgeable dealer who can guide you to the right speaker.
Where in USA do you live?

P.S: I only recommend speakers I have heard, so there might be a lot of stuff out there, I am missing.
P.P.S: You haven't mentioned room size, music genres, etc, which would help in narrowing down choices. If you are okay with bookshelf then there are lot of "very good options".
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Really appreciate it. Especially because it's first hand info, it's very valuable. Let's go step by step:
1. Fyi: Luxman and Accuphase models that am considering (& will be auditioning in next few days) are class AB. I am very much inclined towards Sugden IA4 now that I have overcome the fear of (well, almost) class A amp getting hot. Thanks to @Miany for the suggestion. But since you assumed class A, it's good in a way as your suggestions are perfectly relevant then.

2. With used items also there remains the question of the unknown sound/audition/transport/return policy etc. But I will check out the sites you mentioned. There is also 'The music room audio' which sells pre-owned certified stuff which I got to know about from one youtube channel (Steve Huff)

3. There is a dilemma in my mind about bookshelfs. When I switched to floorstanders, I enjoyed the big sound which is one of the aim of this upgrade. Having said that I do know and appreciate the possibility of a better quality with same money. I don't know for a fact but precise sound of bookshelf may be less prone to reverb or may be just psychological. I purchased REL sub recently but yet to get used to it (there was no homogenous rendering/presentation of music... at least yet.. yes, tried few positions and settings) so basically bass support will be needed for bookshelves and possible caveat of they producing smaller sound(stage) for my room.

4. It is a living room around 250 sq. ft.. You can take a look at the setup here: https://www.hifivision.com/threads/showcase-your-audio-video-setup-here.1167/post-1053030

5. I will checkout all the brands you have mentioned. But the comfort zone of familiar sound of Wharfedale and Dali is very appealing right now (will be auditioning Goldenear T66 also)

p.s. am in Texas

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Really appreciate it. Especially because it's first hand info, it's very valuable. Let's go step by step:
1. Fyi: Luxman and Accuphase models that am considering (& will be auditioning in next few days) are class AB. I am very much inclined towards Sugden IA4 now that I have overcome the fear of (well, almost) class A amp getting hot. Thanks to @Miany for the suggestion. But since you assumed class A, it's good in a way as your suggestions are perfectly relevant then.
Do give the living voice a listen with the sugden or any other class A single ended SS or tube amplifier, that speaker comes to life with musicality to keep you hooked to the chair with a class A single ended amplifier. I am suggesting this with experience running my living voice R25A with a sugden a21se signature and a audionote P3 tonmeister. Blues, jazz, folk, songwriter, classic rock are where its strength's lay. There are limitations to the speaker though, its runs out of steam with music like hiphop, edm, heavy metal music while playing loud, cannot handle too much power, fast paced music doesn't sound as energetic. its performs very average with everything other than a Class A single ended SS or tube amplifier. The sugden does run hot but not to a point where it becomes alarming(provided you donot keep it in an exclosed space with ventilation only from the front), given the IA4 bigger chassis the amplifier will run cooler than the a21 series.

5. I will checkout all the brands you have mentioned. But the comfort zone of familiar sound of Wharfedale and Dali is very appealing right now (will be auditioning Goldenear T66 also)

p.s. am in Texas
Its best then to stick to them unless you find something else you like while auditioning.

I forgot to mention that I listen to variety of music Hindi 70s, some new (90s+ is new for me lol), Assorted English Pop /rock(mostly old I. e. Beatles, Abba, seal) , title and background music tracks, lot of world music, songs in different Indian languages like Marathi /Tamil / Bengali etc., sometimes jazz, gazals etc.
So it's challenging to build a system which covers all these well (including few not so good recordings)

If that’s the music you listen to get a Klipsch La Scala and a simple 2a3 tube amp. Bass will start rolling off below 50hz but will be more than sufficient for the music you listen to.

I am sure there will be discounts available on a new La Scala

In case you find La Scala expensive or too big for your room or too dynamic and in your face, you could look at Heretic 614 with a Elekit amp which takes both 2a3 and 300. Herb Reichert of Stereophile uses above combo.

Both amp and speaker together should cost 10-11 k USD

Last edited:
The sugden does run hot but not to a point where it becomes alarming(provided you donot keep it in an exclosed space with ventilation only from the front), given the IA4 bigger chassis the amplifier will run cooler than the a21 series.
Yes. I have owned Sugden A21SE before getting the IA4. Though both get hot, give them proper ventilation and you can easily live with it.

2. With used items also there remains the question of the unknown sound/audition/transport/return policy etc. But I will check out the sites you mentioned. There is also 'The music room audio' which sells pre-owned certified stuff which I got to know about from one youtube channel (Steve Huff)

3. There is a dilemma in my mind about bookshelfs. When I switched to floorstanders, I enjoyed the big sound which is one of the aim of this upgrade. Having said that I do know and appreciate the possibility of a better quality with same money. I don't know for a fact but precise sound of bookshelf may be less prone to reverb or may be just psychological. I purchased REL sub recently but yet to get used to it (there was no homogenous rendering/presentation of music... at least yet.. yes, tried few positions and settings) so basically bass support will be needed for bookshelves and possible caveat of they producing smaller sound(stage) for my room.

4. It is a living room around 250 sq. ft.. You can take a look at the setup here: https://www.hifivision.com/threads/showcase-your-audio-video-setup-here.1167/post-1053030

p.s. am in Texas
You live in the USA, dude. Go see some dealers and listen to some speakers. Or better yet visit an audio fest where you can listen to 30-40 speakers in the same hotel.
Here’s one happening in your neighborhood next month: https://www.southwestaudiofest.com/exhibitors-list-swaf2024

You have a healthy budget and you can go above and beyond the speakers you mention.

Personally I think @prem suggestion is great, and the way to go, he’s nailed it. But nothing substitutes personal auditions, so go to the audio fest mentioned above, that’s how I found my dream speaker — at an audio fest.

Yes I exchanged emails with the owner Dennis already 😊. Researching further as I read one comment somewhere that he found it to be bright in his small size room. They are offering 2 weeks trial (shipping cost on me). Let's see.
:)
You should try the Salk range, too.

You live in the USA, dude. Go see some dealers and listen to some speakers. Or better yet visit an audio fest where you can listen to 30-40 speakers in the same hotel.
Here’s one happening in your neighborhood next month: https://www.southwestaudiofest.com/exhibitors-list-swaf2024

You have a healthy budget and you can go above and beyond the speakers you mention.

Personally I think @prem suggestion is great, and the way to go, he’s nailed it. But nothing substitutes personal auditions, so go to the audio fest mentioned above, that’s how I found my dream speaker — at an audio fest.
Yes I am aware of that fest and planning to go schedule permitting. But not if I am able to audition the desired brands at local dealers. Of course I will be missing things at the fest in the category 'I don't know what I don't know' 😊

Yes. I have owned Sugden A21SE before getting the IA4. Though both get hot, give them proper ventilation and you can easily live with it.
Yes I confirmed with the dealer in south cal that pangea audio rack bottom shelf should be fine

Just an idea as your location may suit this (or not--unknown). Look on your closest local Craigslist (electronics section) for used "Pi Speakers" esp "4 pi" or "7 pi". The proprietor used to be in OK and there seems good market penetration in TX as well owing to past Lone Star Audiofests (2024 LSAF upcoming June in Dallas). Think of this post as agreeing with @prem & @essrand with a chance to try similar sounding speakers in LS realm.

Hey @essrand I see you have DeVore Fidelity Orangutan O/96 loudspeaker and seems a recent post (Aug 2023): https://www.hifivision.com/threads/showcase-your-audio-video-setup-here.1167/post-1040774

So am wondering would you have recommended them if I had $16K budget (current price of those speakers)? Are you happy with them?

There are a lot of heated discussion (in comments section) here: https://www.stereophile.com/content/devore-fidelity-orangutan-o96-loudspeaker

I recently bought B&W 805 D4 and highly recommend them. The rest of my gear is pretty low-mid fi but even with it, they sound amazing.

Quick update:
Had gone to audition amps... I had noticed on the dealer website the speaker that I was curious about.. and had forgotten about it.. The sales rep casually mentioned about they having some speakers too and then I suddenly remembered. Requested him to a play a track and then some more and listened to the speaker for additional 10 mins.. Absolutely impressed: GoldenEar T66!
Excellent midrange, lovely and having body, bass comes from active bass/sub in the speaker and is very enjoyable, vocals very natural and authentic, soundstage amazing.. looks like i have found a very very serious contender!

Hey @essrand I see you have DeVore Fidelity Orangutan O/96 loudspeaker and seems a recent post (Aug 2023): https://www.hifivision.com/threads/showcase-your-audio-video-setup-here.1167/post-1040774

So am wondering would you have recommended them if I had $16K budget (current price of those speakers)? Are you happy with them?

There are a lot of heated discussion (in comments section) here: https://www.stereophile.com/content/devore-fidelity-orangutan-o96-loudspeaker
Yes. Highly, highly, highly recommend them.

Would work with the music you listen to, and most music except techno or electronic.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back