Speakers around $10K

RahulP

Hi, I am planning to upgrade my system and was planning to start with the speakers.

Following are the candidates so far:
1. Wharfedale Elysian 4
2. Dali Rubicon 8 / Epicon 6
3. Sibelius
4. Anything i haven't heard but offer tremendous audio quality (may need to wait or increase budget if it's worth it): Wilson Audio, Sonus Faber appropriate models (they have too many)

I like warm sound without loosing details. Have owned Dalis (Zensor 5 & 7), Wharfedales (5.2 , Lintons). Dali i found very musical and am most used to the sound signature.

For amps later/as budget permits considering Luxman or Accuphase. (tempted to go for sugden but it's difficult decision with no return policy / easy support in the US, not that i think i will need to avail it and also the consideration that it's class A so will heat up)

Will really appreciate thoughts and comments from owners of one or more speakers above. Any other brand/model suggestions would help too.
Thanks in advance.

1. Wharfedale Elysian 4
(tempted to go for sugden but it's difficult decision with no return policy / easy support in the US, not that i think i will need to avail it and also the consideration that it's class A so will heat up)
I own Elysian 2 paired with a Sugden Masterclass IA-4 amplifier. Extremely musical....

Hi, I am planning to upgrade my system and was planning to start with the speakers.

1. Wharfedale Elysian 4
2. Dali Rubicon 8 / Epicon 6
3. Sibelius
4. Anything i haven't heard but offer tremendous audio quality (may need to wait or increase budget if it's worth it): Wilson Audio, Sonus Faber appropriate models (they have too many)

I like warm sound without loosing details. Have owned Dalis (Zensor 5 & 7), Wharfedales (5.2 , Lintons). Dali i found very musical and am most used to the sound signature.

For amps later/as budget permits considering Luxman or Accuphase. (tempted to go for sugden but it's difficult decision with no return policy / easy support in the US, not that i think i will need to avail it and also the consideration that it's class A so will heat up)

Will really appreciate thoughts and comments from owners of one or more speakers above. Any other brand/model suggestions would help too.
Thanks in advance.
I would add the KEF Reference 1 meta to the list. Probably the most resolving, accurate passive speaker you can buy under 10k. Add a pair of subs of the choice, it pretty much is a full range system which can be eqed to any sound of your liking. Only thing is while demoing them, try them with long and short ports, and port closed combination to see which one works in the demo room. It massively changes our judgement on this particular range of speakers. I have read many good things about mofi source point 8, try that as well.

Last edited:
I would add the KEF Reference 1 meta to the list. Probably the most resolving, accurate passive speaker you can buy under 10k. Add a pair of subs of the choice, it pretty much is a full range system which can be eqed to any sound of your liking.
Not as end game speakers but because I was curious I did try kef r3 meta couple of months ago, but they did not appeal to me. I am not sure whether it was because I like warm sound in general or because they needed break in or they just didn't sound right in my living room, but I returned them. So I'm assuming meta 1 will have the same sound signature and so may not be for me.

Not as end game speakers but because I was curious I did try kef r3 meta but they did not appeal to me. I am not sure whether it was because I like warm sound in general or because they needed break in or they just didn't sound right in my living room, but I returned them. So I'm assuming meta 1 will have the same sound signature and so may not be for me.
with kefs, how you set up in the room matters especially how you play with the ports. It’s sloppy in bass in some rooms and closing the ports makes a massive difference in those cases. Anyway general sound signature of KEFs are quite neutral and similar across the series. Wharfedale and all other speakers which you had mentioned has slightly elevated treble. If that’s your cup of tea, then elac vela or concerto, canton reference series, Quadral aurum they all sound “resolving” yet not bright. Also Fink team Kim is really superb for the price.

with kefs, how you set up in the room matters especially how you play with the ports. It’s sloppy in bass in some rooms and closing the ports makes a massive difference in those cases. Anyway general sound signature of KEFs are quite neutral and similar across the series. Wharfedale and all other speakers which you had mentioned has slightly elevated treble. If that’s your cup of tea, then elac vela or concerto, canton reference series, Quadral aurum they all sound “resolving” yet not bright. Also Fink team Kim is really superb for the price.
Elevated treble! Really? Reviewers have mentioned Elysian's to be not warm speakers that you would expect from wharfedale but am surprised by your comment.. (I have had Dali speakers - base model of course - in the past and found them very musical and not bright at all)

Not warm- generally refers to having less pronounced bass. Again, those reviews are borderline useless if your preference doesn’t match up against theirs and you don’t have a room similar to theirs. Room acoustics vastly changes speakers character unless the speakers have constant directivity. Even with constant directivity it’s still variable depending on bass modes of the room.

Elysian is ranked very high by the German magazine Audio/stereoplay and considering the price, they should do a thing or a two great. Again, with AMT give it a try before you commit them. With large speakers, it’s not the same game like bookshelf’s. It’s damn difficult to move around in the room and also for packing and returning. If you like smooth treble and want the bass tone like Dali, I think Canton Reference 7K would fit you. The bass has a nice warm overtone to it and rest of the spectrum is quite flat except. They have a new series now that the older one which I just mentioned can be on discounts.

Attachments

• IMG_0309.png
    IMG_0309.png
    306 KB · Views: 22
As FM @rwnano suggested,
Philharmonic BMR towers. I wanted to import the bookshelf model to EU.

As you are in US, definitely try to listen to those speakers.
One of my friend, whose ears I trust, listened to them and raved about them.

As FM @rwnano suggested,
Philharmonic BMR towers. I wanted to import the bookshelf model to EU.

As you are in US, definitely try to listen to those speakers.
One of my friend, whose ears I trust, listened to them and raved about them.
If you look at the frequency response and radiation of them, there are lot of alternatives similar to them in Europe. Apparently people in Europe thinks things which are not available for cheap here are better and I had seen the same thinking from people in US. For example Revel has less number of dealers and costs more in Europe than in US. However there are plenty of alternatives to them here. Similarly European brands are kind of highly expensive in US. Just a thought, the BMR Is a good speaker according to Erin’s audio corner. But then there are better speakers rated by him later but are affordable in Europe.

You live in the USA. Audiophile-heaven. Very good options for 10K.

Try used Verity Audio speakers, or used Devore Orangutans, older Sonus Fabers are better, Guarneri, Amati (but they might be more than 10K, unless you get lucky).

You live in the USA. Audiophile-heaven. Very good options for 10K.

Try used Verity Audio speakers, or used Devore Orangutans, older Sonus Fabers are better, Guarneri, Amati (but they might be more than 10K, unless you get lucky).
Planning to buy new ones only. I do understand the 'bang for the buck' and convenience of 'break-in' with used speakers but no reliable source given the price range. Please suggest more 'very good options' please accordingly :)

s
Do try and review it for this forum.
so you recommended based on what? I mean the way you wrote it that it is end game audiophile speaker with conviction so asking. Because that had given me an impression that you own it and enjoying for a long time! lol

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back