Speakers Auditioning..the journey begins..

Has anyone in the group auditioned the Dali Ikon 5 speakers? This speaker is the younger bro of the famed Ikon 6 and runs 2x5" drivers for bass and mids apart from the ribbon tweeter carried over from the bigger brother. I intend to visit the Dali folks this weekend before I take my call on the speakers. Inputs to set expectations are welcome.

With Ikon Sereis you should also try the Award winning Dali's Lector Series and they are very reasonable in terms of Pricing.

How do you know if particular track goes down to 20hz or not? Do you have equipment to measure? Just curious.

These have been measured, not by me, but by Dr. Hsu of Hsu Research. I believe in what he says, and they do thump you real hard.

Cheers

I need some urgent assistance here:

While I was looking out for speakers,by chance I have finalised a RX-V863 with Bass n Treble. Now the confusion bit: I have to choose between two FS now

- Wharfedale Evo-2-30, am getting a pair at some 20% discount on the MRP. The only glitch with the piece is that it has a nick in the front- albeit a very small one. My wife and I listened to it for over an hour and wanted to listen to it continuosly.

- Jamo C407, I had almost fallen for these beautiful pair ( sound/sight) till I heard the Wharfedale Evos. I am getting a good discount on the MRP and am convinced that they have enough power to sound good in my 23x12 living room.

There is a price difference of 12k between the two and I am having a right brain/left brain fight. Am not sure if I should spend more as I have already over shot my budget by 15 k and have a 2 channel setup to start with now.

My wife believes that its worth spending 12k more for the Wharfies. I do believe in it but am holding back a little.

Need pointers- what would you do?

Last edited:
The specs of both are very close to each other.

Jamo C407
System Type 3-way bass-reflex
Woofer (mm/in) 2 x 165 / 6
Midrange (mm/in) 165 / 6
Tweeter (mm/in) 25 / 1 DTT
Power (W, long/short term) 150 / 220
Sensitivity (dB, 2.8V/1m) 90
Frequency Range (Hz) 35 - 20,000
Impedence (Ohm) 6
Weight (kg/lb) 25.8 / 56.8

Wharfedale Evo2-30
System Type 3 - way
Bass Driver 1x 170mm 2.5 way
Mid Driver 1x 170mm
Soft Dome Tweeter 1x 25mm
Nominal Impedance 6 Ohms
Frequency Response 35Hz-28kHz
SPL 1W @ 1m 89dB
Max peak SPL 111dB
System Fb 35Hz
Crossover Frequencies 150Hz-2.2kHz

Since you seem to like the sound of the Wharfedales, keep your wife happy and go for the extra 12K !! They have slightly larger drivers and a broader frequency range. Their drivers are made of Kevlar and would last longer.

Cheers

how did your audition of dali's go?

regards

While I was looking out for speakers,by chance I have finalised a RX-V863 with Bass n Treble. Now the confusion bit: I have to choose between two FS now

- Wharfedale Evo-2-30, am getting a pair at some 20% discount on the MRP. The only glitch with the piece is that it has a nick in the front- albeit a very small one. My wife and I listened to it for over an hour and wanted to listen to it continuosly.

- Jamo C407, I had almost fallen for these beautiful pair ( sound/sight) till I heard the Wharfedale Evos. I am getting a good discount on the MRP and am convinced that they have enough power to sound good in my 23x12 living room.

There is a price difference of 12k between the two and I am having a right brain/left brain fight. Am not sure if I should spend more as I have already over shot my budget by 15 k and have a 2 channel setup to start with now.

My wife believes that its worth spending 12k more for the Wharfies. I do believe in it but am holding back a little.

You have a wife who wants to spend more on electronic equipment and you're hesitating! All for it dude, go for the Wharfedales.

given a choice between letting husband waste time over forums, demoing all over the city (and sometimes even ready to travel to chennai for a demo), any wife would agree to spend 10-20k more and put the left brain/ right brain perpetual debate to rest :) though I doubt this 10-20k will keep the matters buried for very long ;-)

You have a wife who wants to spend more on electronic equipment and you're hesitating! All for it dude, go for the Wharfedales.

True...I am lucky in that sense.

how did your audition of dali's go?

Didnt go for the Dali auditioning as I could fit in only the Wharfedales and Jamos.

I dont think I will audition the Dali's now. Will add to my indecision.

cheers

Hurrah...

I have put an end to my first assignment in sound. Got myself the Wharfedale Evo2-30 to go with my Yamaha RX-V863.

Denny had come with the equipment by noon and we did the setting up and did some auditioning in the real environment ( read- untreated). The combo sings really well and I shall wait for them to break in.

As of now I am using a humble panasonic DVD player as the source and the sound is decent. Denny had brought along the CA Azur 540 for demoing and a dedicated cdp does make a big difference. It has been added to my list but will have to wait for the next financial year.

I am stepping out to pick up some quality cables for HDMI and components so that I get the best out of my setup.

Much appreciate all the inputs and I must say that joining this forum has been an eye opener and made me aware of this wonderful world of sound.

I hope to become more aware and informed as time goes by and hopefully I will be able to contribute something to the forum.

cheers,

...there are no bad AVRs but lots of bad speakers.

O boy, now that's a very bold statement! Guess you were lucky.

I have had some really horrendous experiences while auditioning some sonodynes, sherwood, jbl, sony, jvc, some entry level onkyo, yamahas etc.

IMO, a good start would be denons followed by marantz, cambridge and onkyo. Denon because of their all round abilities with music, movies and radio (yes radio)

Cheers.

Congratulations mnemonic! What was the final price of the Wharfedale Evo speakers that you got? Sometime back there was some rumour I heard that the Evos are not available and are going to be stopped as a line. Does that have any truth at all?

Hurrah...

I have put an end to my first assignment in sound. Got myself the Wharfedale Evo2-30 to go with my Yamaha RX-V863.

Denny had come with the equipment by noon and we did the setting up and did some auditioning in the real environment ( read- untreated). The combo sings really well and I shall wait for them to break in.

As of now I am using a humble panasonic DVD player as the source and the sound is decent. Denny had brought along the CA Azur 540 for demoing and a dedicated cdp does make a big difference. It has been added to my list but will have to wait for the next financial year.

I am stepping out to pick up some quality cables for HDMI and components so that I get the best out of my setup.

Much appreciate all the inputs and I must say that joining this forum has been an eye opener and made me aware of this wonderful world of sound.

I hope to become more aware and informed as time goes by and hopefully I will be able to contribute something to the forum.

cheers,
Congrats mate!
And I wish you all success in acquiring the rest of the av gear in you list!:eek:hyeah:

As far as contributing something to the forum, I feel you have already done a good job. Great thread!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back