Speakers (Centre) for Yamaha AVR V373 - budget 10K

dont buy fs for 373
get bs

secondly yah..it is a point very valid in fact..that how will you pair wharfe without hearing it with 373..well very valid..

you can try members who own 9..with your avr..you can try that..

to match 9 centre..9 fronts will be best of course..

Diamond 9 is/was a step up model vis-a-vis the Vardus. Have you tried out the Mordaunt Short Carnival at SKS? And I think I saw a PSB Alpha at Promises.

dont buy fs for 373
get bs

secondly yah..it is a point very valid in fact..that how will you pair wharfe without hearing it with 373..well very valid..

you can try members who own 9..with your avr..you can try that..

to match 9 centre..9 fronts will be best of course..

So you think my 373 is not powerful enough for FS? If I go for FS, what kind of problem I can face? By the way, my need is movies: music - 50:50

Diamond 9 is/was a step up model vis-a-vis the Vardus. Have you tried out the Mordaunt Short Carnival at SKS? And I think I saw a PSB Alpha at Promises.

Haven't tried the Mordaunt Short Carnival yet. What is the price of the centre? And what fronts would match with it?

And same question is for PSB Alpha. Hope you are talking about this centre -http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/alpha/Alpha-C1-Centre

Not sure about the price. Lower than the Aviano surely. Carnival series has decent FS.

Yup, that's the Alpha from PSB. Though I saw a FS at Promises. Alpha BS and FS are available.

As for the question you asked Prosenjit da, I think he meant the FS' potential would be underutilized by the 373.

Not sure about the price. Lower than the Aviano surely. Carnival series has decent FS.

Yup, that's the Alpha from PSB. Though I saw a FS at Promises. Alpha BS and FS are available.

As for the question you asked Prosenjit da, I think he meant the FS' potential would be underutilized by the 373.

thanks guru..
yes shuv is perfect..

Thanks guys for your help. :)

I had a very disappointing experience today. Went to SKS traders of enquiries/ demo for my centre.

They had only a wharfedale diamond 9 centre which they quoted 16K but ready to sell for 14K :eek: while hifimart is selling it for 9.9K :eek:hyeah:

But the saddest part is that they are unable to demo anything. :mad: I was told that all their existing avrs were sold and the ones which they have now are new and they have not set it up yet.

They also informed me that they are expecting dali centre within couple of weeks.

My experience with demo is pretty bad in this city.

@ promises - was able to demo onkyo 3500 for a long time, very nice staff and helpful but they did not have any bd player and player pirated dvds for demo. :yahoo: But they allowed me to connect my laptop with the avr.

@ av square - they demoed well, and I bought the avr from here. But they only stock yamaha.

@ profx - not much interested to attend the customer. Their demo room was under construction or something so no demo and they told me they would call me once they are ready for demo but did not call.

@ harmonie audio - great time with mr. vasu. helped me to demo with the avr (I was looking for yamaha but they don't keep it) but was very help and adviced me on selecting speakers. But he also didn't have wharfedale centre for demo. It was only available on order.

@ sonodyne - First time I went there, I was not able to get the demo of sonus c2501 since they did not have a demo set but were ready to sell.

Second time I went, I was able to have the demo and was really impressed with the quality (especially for movies), but at that time they did not have a piece ready. And NO DISCOUNT was offered too.

@ sks traders - only wharfedale centre was available but it was very high priced. No other brands were available.

So finally at the end, I was only able to demo sonus2501 and it is well within my budget. Other recommend staff is Wharfedale diamond 9 but I am not getting it anywhere to demo. So what should I do? Go for this sonus2501?

Finally the Sonus C2501 arrived at my doorstep today afternoon in spite of heavy shower during that time in Calcutta.

Shipping was superfast. :clapping: May be because I was in Calcutta and the Sonodyne Centre was shipped from Calcutta warehouse. I placed my order on hifimart on Sunday 1 AM (yes!!!) and got it delivered by Monday 3PM. I paid Rs.7110. I am very much excited.

Now please help me with the setting with the avr (yam 373) with my sonus centre and a pair of sony bs

What should be the speaker configuration? I have kept front and centre as LARGE; Sub and surround as none (nothing is attached yet; Crossover is 80Hz; Subwoofer phaze as normal; and extra bass as off. Should anything be changed in that setting to get the best out of it.

How the distance is measured? e.g. if front L is 3.4 ft, does it mean it is from tv or the listening position? How does one set that distance?

What about the level? I have kept the fronts and center as +1.0db. What should be done here.

I have also kept the equalizer in default setting? Anything needs to be done here too?

I will wait for your expertise knowledge to help me out.

And thanks in advance. :)

1. Since there is no sub, Fronts should be `Large'.
2. Distance is measured from the listening position. First, keep it as near-actual, then increase/decrease. You'll notice the change. At the correct distance, you can feel the speakers directly firing at you. Better do it with your eyes closed!
3. After setting distance, set the level to match all the speakers. At any given point of Volume, all three speakers should have the same volume. After that all you have to fiddle with is the volume button.
4. Equaliser setting is strictly as per your liking.
Hope, it works.

Now please help me with the setting with the avr (yam 373) with my sonus centre and a pair of sony bs

What should be the speaker configuration? I have kept front and centre as LARGE; Sub and surround as none (nothing is attached yet; Crossover is 80Hz; Subwoofer phaze as normal; and extra bass as off. Should anything be changed in that setting to get the best out of it.

How the distance is measured? e.g. if front L is 3.4 ft, does it mean it is from tv or the listening position? How does one set that distance?

What about the level? I have kept the fronts and center as +1.0db. What should be done here.

I have also kept the equalizer in default setting? Anything needs to be done here too?

When you set the subwoofer as NO, the front speakers automatically becomes LARGE.... This will over ride the cross over settings. (or) the cross over will not apply to the fronts as long as you have a Sub Woofer connected...

Alternatively you use the Direct button on the AVR, this will play movies & Music close to the source without any tampering....

Am not sure if the chnage in speaker distance makes a diffrence....

Reg the speaker settings, am not sure what is the maximum setting there, if your Front speaker sensititivy is too less then keep it @ the maximum... Keep the Center speaker setting same /close as front speaker settings...

If you center speaker is more effificient/sensitive, it may dominate the fronts when watching movies....

Juz fiddle around the AVR settings & u should be fine.....Happy tewaking :thumbsup:

When you set the subwoofer as NO, the front speakers automatically becomes LARGE.... This will over ride the cross over settings. (or) the cross over will not apply to the fronts as long as you have a Sub Woofer connected...

Alternatively you use the Direct button on the AVR, this will play movies & Music close to the source without any tampering....

Am not sure if the chnage in speaker distance makes a diffrence....

Reg the speaker settings, am not sure what is the maximum setting there, if your Front speaker sensititivy is too less then keep it @ the maximum... Keep the Center speaker setting same /close as front speaker settings...

If you center speaker is more effificient/sensitive, it may dominate the fronts when watching movies....

Juz fiddle around the AVR settings & u should be fine.....Happy tewaking :thumbsup:

After playing with the settings for sometime, I am quite happy with the outcome.

But I think I also need to complete my 5.1 set up as soon as possible (as soon as my budget supports too) to experience the ultimate output.

Finally the Sonus C2501 arrived at my doorstep today afternoon in spite of heavy shower during that time in Calcutta.

Shipping was superfast. :clapping: May be because I was in Calcutta and the Sonodyne Centre was shipped from Calcutta warehouse. I placed my order on hifimart on Sunday 1 AM (yes!!!) and got it delivered by Monday 3PM. I paid Rs.7110. I am very much excited.

I have a similar requirement, I had purchased Yamaha RX V373, I already had Floor standers.
http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/39198-advice-speakers-yamaha-rx-v-373-a.html

Now I am planning to buy a Center channel and sub woofer this season.

CENTER CHANNEL:-

• I would like to know what is the sound quality you get from your setup of sony BS and sonodyne Center. Lots of people here are of the opinion that it is best if the L-C-R speaker are from the same series of speakers of a particular manufacturer to better match the sensitivity and other parameters of all the speakers in the combination. So if at all your sonodyne Center and Sony BS sound great together, would it sound equally good if I go for sonodyne center to pair it with my Philips FS. as in both the cases the center and fronts are not from the same manufacturer.
  • I have tried some local speakers for the center channel in my setup, but it was not satisfactory. Would a speaker labelled and marketed as a dedicated center channel speaker make a difference? What is the difference between a Front BS[OR Front FS] and a Center speaker? I mean every speaker has the same setup of various combination of different drivers like Full range driver, mid range driver, tweeter driver, woofer driver, coaxial driver etc no matter whether it is marketed as a Front speaker, Rear Speaker or Center Speaker, To further enhance my point I find that lots of people here suggested that you should go for Front BS first and later when you buy Front FS, you can then use the existing Front BS for the rear channel. Now how come a speaker labelled and marketed specifically for use as a Front BS be recommended for rear channel by the same lot of people who keep on making a case for speakers labelled and marketed for Front, Rear and Center and also tell that all should be from the same series. Also I find no mention of a separate Front channel loudspeaker, Rear Channel Loudspeaker and a Center Channel Loudspeaker in the Wikipedia article on Loudspeakers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker Is it just a marketing gimmick? or am I missing something here? Let me be clear of one thing though that I am not here to criticize the way speakers are marketed. It is just the case of so many options before making any decision to invest on buying a speaker and would like to be clear on all aspects. All I want is a good sounding setup. If a speaker marketed as a center channel speaker sounds great I don't mind buying it.
  • Before buying speaker whether it is advisable to go for a demo first? And since it is not practical for the store owners to come to my house with various center channel speakers for a demo, would the different stores allow me to take my system of AVR and Front FS in their shop premises and test it on the various center channel speakers they have, As I am from Pune, I would like to know if such stores are available here in Pune which allow this. or should I buy from online retailers without going for a demo, considering the fact for a similar setup as mine you already have made a demo before you bought it online. [@ sonodyne - First time I went there, I was not able to get the demo of sonus c2501 since they did not have a demo set but were ready to sell. Second time I went, I was able to have the demo and was really impressed with the quality (especially for movies), but at that time they did not have a piece ready. And NO DISCOUNT was offered too] And what do you really do when you have a demo?, how you judge and compare the various speakers during a demo?
  • Finally you asked about the various settings, are the settings done to your satisfaction now? what is the level you keep for front and center, whether this setting is required to do if the front and center are not from the same series of same manufacturer?

SUBWOOFER:-

• What would be the recommended subwoofer to my setup of Yamaha RX V373, Philips FS [and possible sonodyne Center channel if I decide to go for it, after you all folks convince me for it]. Please advise me on this folks. I really don't understand the specifications of the sub woofer especially the power rating part and its effect on the working of the AVR. And Since in my system there is a 3 driver Philips FS with a woofer driver to handle the low frequencies. Would a Sub woofer make any significant difference in low frequency part of the sound output. And whether having a dedicated sub woofer greatly balances my setup by not taxing the Front FS of the main load of low frequency output.
  • Although not relevant to my setup as I don't have Front BS, I still want to ask If a sub woofer handles the low frequency part on its own, will then the Front FS be equal in stature to Front BS and result in under utilization of Front FS's real power in comparison to Front BS, or the Front FS still holds an Advantage over the Front BS even if the sub woofer is present is the system.
  • And specifically for my AVR Yamaha RX 373 whether to go for 8 inch, 10 inch or a 12 inch sub woofer.

Reply in RED

Now I am planning to buy a Center channel and sub woofer this season. If you are looking for sonodyne, wait for Jan last week as Sonodyne will offer 26% off.

CENTER CHANNEL:-

• I would like to know what is the sound quality you get from your setup of sony BS and sonodyne Center. Lots of people here are of the opinion that it is best if the L-C-R speaker are from the same series of speakers of a particular manufacturer to better match the sensitivity and other parameters of all the speakers in the combination. So if at all your sonodyne Center and Sony BS sound great together, would it sound equally good if I go for sonodyne center to pair it with my Philips FS. as in both the cases the center and fronts are not from the same manufacturer.
    From my personal experience, I did not use Sony BS + Centre (max 3-4 weeks) and thereafter I purchased Sonodyne BS and replaced the sony bs to rear. Frankly, I was not able to distinguish much differences while using sony/ Sonodyne combo but the while watching movies the sound was too high in centre and very low in sony bs although the volume levels were same for all three. But after replacing them with sonodyne BS, the problem has gone as well as there is an uniformity in the sound. However, sound is a matter of perspective and as long as you enjoy it, nothing matters. Check this thread for my bookshelf hunt details.
  • I have tried some local speakers for the center channel in my setup, but it was not satisfactory. Would a speaker labelled and marketed as a dedicated center channel speaker make a difference? What is the difference between a Front BS[OR Front FS] and a Center speaker? I mean every speaker has the same setup of various combination of different drivers like Full range driver, mid range driver, tweeter driver, woofer driver, coaxial driver etc no matter whether it is marketed as a Front speaker, Rear Speaker or Center Speaker, To further enhance my point I find that lots of people here suggested that you should go for Front BS first and later when you buy Front FS, you can then use the existing Front BS for the rear channel. Now how come a speaker labelled and marketed specifically for use as a Front BS be recommended for rear channel by the same lot of people who keep on making a case for speakers labelled and marketed for Front, Rear and Center and also tell that all should be from the same series. Also I find no mention of a separate Front channel loudspeaker, Rear Channel Loudspeaker and a Center Channel Loudspeaker in the Wikipedia article on Loudspeakers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker Is it just a marketing gimmick? or am I missing something here? Let me be clear of one thing though that I am not here to criticize the way speakers are marketed. It is just the case of so many options before making any decision to invest on buying a speaker and would like to be clear on all aspects. All I want is a good sounding setup. If a speaker marketed as a center channel speaker sounds great I don't mind buying it.
    I am not an expert here but I guess centres and fronts are built differently. I am too novice to comment on the technicalities of LRC. Hope some expert FMs will clarify it. Yes and I am even using my Sony bs for rear now.
  • Before buying speaker whether it is advisable to go for a demo first? And since it is not practical for the store owners to come to my house with various center channel speakers for a demo, would the different stores allow me to take my system of AVR and Front FS in their shop premises and test it on the various center channel speakers they have,
    This is very hard to do. Ask them if they will allow it. But I don't think Sonodyne will assist you in this.

As I am from Pune, I would like to know if such stores are available here in Pune which allow this. or should I buy from online retailers without going for a demo, considering the fact for a similar setup as mine you already have made a demo before you bought it online.
    If you are buying Sonodyne, get a demo anywhere but buy from hifimart (10%flat disc throughout the year) or wait for last week of January to get 26% flat disc directly from Sonodyne.

[@ sonodyne - First time I went there, I was not able to get the demo of sonus c2501 since they did not have a demo set but were ready to sell. Second time I went, I was able to have the demo and was really impressed with the quality (especially for movies), but at that time they did not have a piece ready. And NO DISCOUNT was offered too]
    And what do you really do when you have a demo?, how you judge and compare the various speakers during a demo? I think less, believe in my instinct and decide it on my personal likings and taste. The more I think the more I get confused. Just remember to see what source they are using for demo.
  • Finally you asked about the various settings, are the settings done to your satisfaction now? what is the level you keep for front and center, whether this setting is required to do if the front and center are not from the same series of same manufacturer?
I am currently happy with the settings which I was done by me manually. Even I guess, setting can be more customized from movies to movies. I just keep on playing and keep it whatever I like. I don't know much rules for this and hence can't follow them. As long as I am enjoying the movies and music, I am happy. :eek:hyeah:

SUBWOOFER:-

• What would be the recommended subwoofer to my setup of Yamaha RX V373, Philips FS [and possible sonodyne Center channel if I decide to go for it, after you all folks convince me for it]. Please advise me on this folks. I really don't understand the specifications of the sub woofer especially the power rating part and its effect on the working of the AVR. And Since in my system there is a 3 driver Philips FS with a woofer driver to handle the low frequencies. Would a Sub woofer make any significant difference in low frequency part of the sound output. And whether having a dedicated sub woofer greatly balances my setup by not taxing the Front FS of the main load of low frequency output.
  • Although not relevant to my setup as I don't have Front BS, I still want to ask If a sub woofer handles the low frequency part on its own, will then the Front FS be equal in stature to Front BS and result in under utilization of Front FS's real power in comparison to Front BS, or the Front FS still holds an Advantage over the Front BS even if the sub woofer is present is the system.
  • And specifically for my AVR Yamaha RX 373 whether to go for 8 inch, 10 inch or a 12 inch sub woofer.

I havent yet purchased a sub yet. And once again an experience FM can surely answer your queries.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back