Speakers for Cyrus 8vs2 amp

maddy

hi,

I am taking my first steps into the world of separates and have settled for the Cyrus 8vs2 amplifier. I would like some advice on speakers to match the Cyrus. I would prefer floorstanders and the budget is about 70-80K. I am at Kochi, so the choice is limited to the following brands :-

1) AE
2) Dynaudio
3) Klipsch
4) MA
5) ProAc
6) Q Acoustics
7) Epos

Would be great if someone owns the cyrus and could post his set up and experience.

Thanks
Harish

Hi:

Nice amp selection. What is the source ?

Speakers to avoid with Cyrus

* MA
* Klipsch
* Any forward-sounding speakers

Cyrus would go with these...

* Dali
* Dynaudio
* ProAc
* PMC
* Spendors
* Rega (not sure available in India)

[IMO]
:)

Last edited:
hi,

I am taking my first steps into the world of separates and have settled for the Cyrus 8vs2 amplifier. I would like some advice on speakers to match the Cyrus. I would prefer floorstanders and the budget is about 70-80K. I am at Kochi, so the choice is limited to the following brands :-

1) AE
2) Dynaudio
3) Klipsch
4) MA
5) ProAc
6) Q Acoustics
7) Epos

Would be great if someone owns the cyrus and could post his set up and experience.

Thanks
Harish

Hello harish,
Congrats on your Cyrus amp. I cant really help you out with the speakers, way above my league:p

Where are you getting your speakers from in Kochi?

There is a thread running of a member in Calcutta who coupled a Cyrus amp(6v, i think) with b&w 685 and is not satisfied. You could go through that too if you have not already.
http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/5627-amp-upgrade-if-required.html

Would strongly recommend the ProAcs, they are a match with the Cyrus 8vs2 amp. If your in Blore then you can hear the cyrus 6vs2 & also the pre/pwr with the ProAc 130s, 140s & Response 1sc.

Personally like the ProAc/Cyrus combo. How ever the ProAc Towers starts above a lakh plus, they ain't cheap. They do come with a 5-year warranty and do look at using the chord cables too with this combo.

hi,

1) AE
2) Dynaudio
3) Klipsch
4) MA
5) ProAc
6) Q Acoustics
7) Epos

Thanks
Harish

Hi Harish,
Congratulations on the amplifier and into the world of seperates.
A few things to note with a cyrus amplifier :- A clean, lean sound which can sound edgy/over zealous in the wrong company. Its a compact amp (sorry to state the obvious) with smaller than expected transformers and IMO will struggle to deliver into low impedance loads. Decent headroom but a small sweet spot before the protection kicks in. Please read another thread on its smaller sibling and the problem the owner Pratim is facing.
Reason i said all the above mumbo jumbo is simple. Get a floor stander that is 8 ohms, sensitivity about 90db or above, with good bass extension, one which does not have an over enthusiastic tweeter.
IMO a Pro ac will be the best match. Try a spendor as well though i dont know kochi availability. Something like a MA silver (though easy to drive too) may be over the top.
Go down the slippery cable selection route ONLY AFTER buying and hearing the combo.
RGDS

Last edited:
I agree with dinyaar. My vote would also be for the proac or the spendors.
I would rather go with a bookshelf than a floorstander.
What is the budget for the speakers?
All the best
Cheers

hi,
thanks guys for the advice! The consensus seems to be ProAc. the only problem is that its about twice the planned budget. Thanks once again for all the pointers!

RGDS

Since the proacs are beyond your budget,I guess you should try the epos.
all the best.
Cheers

a word of caution, harish.

i own a pair of epos m22s and they're rated at 87db sensitivity. my earlier 70wpc amp had a tough time with the epos pair in a room that's 26'x18'. as your cyrus has the same wattage, do check for any signs of strain when auditioning.

hi,
thanks neo and coaltrain. I have a room with similar dimensions, 29' x 12', so will keep sensitivity in mind.
thanks
RGDS

hi,
thanks guys for the advice! The consensus seems to be ProAc. the only problem is that its about twice the planned budget. Thanks once again for all the pointers!

RGDS

I also vouch for ProAc. I have listened to ProAc+ Cyrus (Pre-Power) last saturday at Prithvi's place at Bangalore. It was really a nice match and created magic.

Why cant you try with the mission which is high sensitivity and less mid dominated. And matches with cyrus and the chord ic and speaker cable matches with mission much. Moreover marantz cdp matches with cyrus amp much than cyrus own cdp

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back