Speakers for Denon AVR-1508

sunny800

Hello All,
I have recently bought the Denon AVR-1508 and now on the lookout for a good set of 5.1 speakers that match this AVR. Usage is goinging to be primarily for movies. Budget is about Rs.35-40K. Please let me know your suggestions.

Thanks & Regards

A very good option is the Q-Acoustic 1010i. This is a complete 5.1 set including sub woofer that delivers movies and music quite well. Setting the sub woofer is a little tricky as it tends to overwhelm the other speakers. But that can be managed with a bit of experimentation. The couple of times, I heard the 1010i, dialogues were delivered crisply, soundstage was large enough, and the base was deep enough to make you cringe when a bomb was dropped.

You can of course assemble 5.1 sets using models from companies such as Wharfedale, Mission, AE, MS, MA etc., You will spend a lot of time and energy trying to get the correct bookshelves and a sub to match your choice. And in the end most of these will tend to be above your budget.

With good bargaining you should be able to get the 1001i at around 40,000. See if you can audition the Q-Acoustics.

Cheers

Venkat, thanks a lot for your advice.

But do you reckon there are good floor standers in that budget (polk?). An alternative is that i could skip the surrond speakers for now, since i have two very good bookshelves from Sony that I could use as surround speakers. So we could narrow down the package to fronts, center and sub. Even the sub could come later if the fronts are good with the low frequencies.

Please advice.

Thanks & regards.

Last edited:
But do you reckon there are good floor standers in that budget (polk?).

If you are ready to assemble the speaker set in stages, you certainly have a large number of options. Look at speakers from the following companies:

Wharfedale
Klipsch
Mordaunt-Short
Acoustic Energy
Mission
Polk Audio

If you want to avoid getting a sub now, look for FS with large woofers - something like 6.5 inches to 8 inches. Wharfedale's Diamond 9 series, MS's Avant Series, and Mission's 'm' series are popular choices.

A pair of good floor standers with large woofers will set you back by about 25,000. Spend another 10 to 15 thousand on a centre, and you are all set to go.

Cheers

Venkat,
Had a quick demo of MS Avant 906, was quite impressed. Plan to have a look at MA BR-5 too. Any idea whats the best price in India for the BR5? Are consumers seeing any benefits of a weak sterling pound?

Which one do you think is better MS Avant 906 or MA BR-5?

I would recommend speakers that have a better delivery in the top range of frequency (forward as some people tend to call). Polk, Klipsch, Mission, Engergy are good matches for the Denon for movies.

Which one do you think is better MS Avant 906 or MA BR-5?

Both are very good speakers. I do not know the current prices. You should let your ears and your budget decide. You cannot go wrong with either.

As Marsilians has said, if you have the time, and are not in a hurry, listen to a few more brands before cutting your cheque.

Cheers

Hello All,
I have recently bought the Denon AVR-1508 and now on the lookout for a good set of 5.1 speakers that match this AVR. Usage is goinging to be primarily for movies. Budget is about Rs.35-40K. Please let me know your suggestions.

Thanks & Regards

whats the price of this AVR

In the AV exhibition they were running a clearance sale with 30-40% discount on 2008 avrs and polk speakers.

I am not sure if they still sell 1508, the newer model being 1509.

Thanks
Sunny800

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back