Speakers for entry level receivers .

supersaiyan

planning to setup an entry level system for my friend using any of denon or marantz entry models. but the confusion is in the speakers. i had suggested him taga but after audition he is not ok with it. Now dealer at Kochi is offering him a heco and mission 5.1 combo package with additional in ceiling speakers for atmos . But is that the only option for someone who has a speaker budget under 1Lakh ? and is there anyone using such entry receivers matched better with any other brands or models ??

If this is an entry level system, is Atmos really required?
You'd rather buy a higher quality speaker system than play the cheap card with Atmos. Granted its two extra (Sometimes 4) loudspeakers but thats a cost you're paying.

At a 1 lac price tag, all you can get are 5.1 speaker packages and these are generally built to a price. As long as you get two nice front speakers and a decent sub woofer, it should be a good place to start. Heco and Mission are definitely better bets than a Taga. However, there are other options from the likes of Polk Audio, etc.

With an entry level receiver, its best to buy a speaker that are not too demanding for power. Read that as speakers with a higher Sensitivity rating. Listen to them though.

planning to setup an entry level system for my friend using any of denon or marantz entry models. but the confusion is in the speakers. i had suggested him taga but after audition he is not ok with it. Now dealer at Kochi is offering him a heco and mission 5.1 combo package with additional in ceiling speakers for atmos . But is that the only option for someone who has a speaker budget under 1Lakh ? and is there anyone using such entry receivers matched better with any other brands or models ??
check polk T series or Indiq audio

If this is an entry level system, is Atmos really required?
You'd rather buy a higher quality speaker system than play the cheap card with Atmos. Granted its two extra (Sometimes 4) loudspeakers but thats a cost you're paying.

At a 1 lac price tag, all you can get are 5.1 speaker packages and these are generally built to a price. As long as you get two nice front speakers and a decent sub woofer, it should be a good place to start. Heco and Mission are definitely better bets than a Taga. However, there are other options from the likes of Polk Audio, etc.

With an entry level receiver, its best to buy a speaker that are not too demanding for power. Read that as speakers with a higher Sensitivity rating. Listen to them though.
yup atmos was just suggested to him by the dealer. so yaa will try polk,mission,heco.

If the budget is only 1 lakh, I will have a different approach. I suggest having a TV which comes with HDMI 2.1/eARC. It could be Sony X90L or LG G3 coupled with Nvidia Shield TV Pro and Samsung Q990C. You will get Q990C under 1 lakh during Diwali and you won't have the clumsy setup of AVR, speakers, sub, cables, power supply which will easily cross 1 lakh. The above setup will easily beat my Marantz + Boston Acoustics 5.1. I am saying this because I have them both. Q990C is extremely capable device. Get a 5tb HDD and download some TrueHD Atmos 7.1 content and play via kodi. You will be amazed.

Depending on the room size, 1L is sufficient, especially for Home theater. Both Mission QX series and PSB Alpha series at not at all demanding of amps and sound good. I have both and to my ears, punch way above their weight considering prices of other brands sold in India.

For Mission and PSB, the following configurations will squeeze in within your budget:

1. Mission QX-2 (Front LR) + Mission QX-1 (Side LR) + Mission QX-C (Centre).

2. PSB Alpha P5 (Front LR) + PSB Alpha P3 (Side LR) + PSB Alpha C10 (Centre).

Subs can be matched as per remaining budget.

All the best.

I recently listened to the entry level Polk signature series with denon avr x1700. Somehow I feel the combination is just perfect especially the towers go deep without a subwoofer.

If the budget is only 1 lakh, I will have a different approach. I suggest having a TV which comes with HDMI 2.1/eARC. It could be Sony X90L or LG G3 coupled with Nvidia Shield TV Pro and Samsung Q990C. You will get Q990C under 1 lakh during Diwali and you won't have the clumsy setup of AVR, speakers, sub, cables, power supply which will easily cross 1 lakh. The above setup will easily beat my Marantz + Boston Acoustics 5.1. I am saying this because I have them both. Q990C is extremely capable device. Get a 5tb HDD and download some TrueHD Atmos 7.1 content and play via kodi. You will be amazed.
he is against soundbars, i had suggested vizio models. but nope

Depending on the room size, 1L is sufficient, especially for Home theater. Both Mission QX series and PSB Alpha series at not at all demanding of amps and sound good. I have both and to my ears, punch way above their weight considering prices of other brands sold in India.

For Mission and PSB, the following configurations will squeeze in within your budget:

1. Mission QX-2 (Front LR) + Mission QX-1 (Side LR) + Mission QX-C (Centre).

2. PSB Alpha P5 (Front LR) + PSB Alpha P3 (Side LR) + PSB Alpha C10 (Centre).

Subs can be matched as per remaining budget.

All the best.
never heard psb , will check thoseout

Wharfedale and Elac come with good packages. Denon, Marantz will match well.
let me check and see if they both have anything in the budget, elac one model i had heard, one of my neighbours has it with a marantz 15xx but was too basic and no punch in sound, some 5.1 package.

he is against soundbars, i had suggested vizio models. but nope
He should audition it once, before going for intended hometheatre setup. That would set a benchmark and within the 1 lakh budget if he is more impressed with that HT setup after listening to DA and True HD content in Q990C then he should go for that setup, else its like shooting arrows in the dark, you can't experiment with these as everyone has their own preferred choice. This would be my suggestion. The rest is upto him to decide.

In case you are looking for mission QX-2 as recommended here, I have a pair of Bookshelves bought from hifimart that I am looking to let go. Ping me, if interested. Thanks

never heard psb , will check thoseout
DB is right.
A couple of years ago, I auditioned a whole lot of budget speakers and, to my ears, nothing came close to the VFM the PSB Alphas offer when paired with entry-level AVRs.
Do give them a listen if possible.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back