Speakers for Marantz NR1602

pinkfloyd

Hi all,

I have a Marantz NR1602 A/V receiver - bought essentially due to it's slimline profile. It's a 50w/ch amp and I need to buy speakers for it - preferably a 5.1 setup (or maybe 2 channel setup now - to be upgraded later). Usage would be 70% music and 30% movies. I am not too keen on buying a HT package speakers (the small satellite ones) and am looking for a decent speaker setup.

I had been considering Wharfedales (9.1s or 9.5s) as the fronts, SW150 as sub, and 9.CC as center channel. But since the receiver outputs only 50w/ch, are those a reasonable option, and if so any recommendations? How about Diamond 10s? Any other suggestions.

And, I understand the end-of-the-day I need to listen and find out what I like. So, I am just looking to build a reasonable consideration set of what to try, before I venture out to the stores.

I am in Delhi area. Would appreciate a reference to stores and an idea of reasonable prices as well.

(anyone else running the NR1602 receiver?)

Cheers.

I am using the NR1601 AVR from Marantz which is not much different from your model. Do not underestimate the power of this AVR. Marantz conservatively rates power output and this AVR can easily handle the wharfedale diamond range.

I was contemplating between Diamond 10 series with SW150 and PSB Image series. I finally went with PSB and have no problem with the AVR power. Diamond 10 is also an excellent choice and I liked them a lot.

The wharfedales would cost approx 60k and PSB 80k for a 5.1 setup. For PSB contact Lakozy electronics in Delhi and for the Wharfedale there are group buys on the forum itself.

Hi all,

I have a Marantz NR1602 A/V receiver - bought essentially due to it's slimline profile. It's a 50w/ch amp and I need to buy speakers for it - preferably a 5.1 setup (or maybe 2 channel setup now - to be upgraded later). Usage would be 70% music and 30% movies. I am not too keen on buying a HT package speakers (the small satellite ones) and am looking for a decent speaker setup.

I had been considering Wharfedales (9.1s or 9.5s) as the fronts, SW150 as sub, and 9.CC as center channel. But since the receiver outputs only 50w/ch, are those a reasonable option, and if so any recommendations? How about Diamond 10s? Any other suggestions.

And, I understand the end-of-the-day I need to listen and find out what I like. So, I am just looking to build a reasonable consideration set of what to try, before I venture out to the stores.

I am in Delhi area. Would appreciate a reference to stores and an idea of reasonable prices as well.

Cheers.

Thanks Raghav for the detailed reply. Good to know that power output isn't a big constraint with NR1602, which though I bought it, I was quite apprehensive about.

Which PSB Image series speakers are you using?

I also noticed in your signature that you have a SW150. What's your opinion of it vis-a-vis PSB sub?

Thanks again.

Hi all,

Cheers.

hi for how much did you get that and from where ?

I am using the PSB Image B5 (front) + C5 (centre) + B4 (surround) + Sub series 5i in a 5.1 config with Marantz 1601 and Optoma HD20.

I have a SW150, but have not yet installed it. You will see that the signature for my bedroom is incomplete and AVR and TV is missing. However, I have just finalized the Samsung 43D490 and the Yamaha RX-V871 to go with the Quad speakers and SW150. I hope to complete setting it up this year itself.

Coming to the Sub SW150 I have heard and liked it in the demo room in combination with Diamond 9 and 10 series and also Quads. Also generally it is considered by many to be the most VFM in the budget system.

Thanks Raghav for the detailed reply. Good to know that power output isn't a big constraint with NR1602, which though I bought it, I was quite apprehensive about.

Which PSB Image series speakers are you using?

I also noticed in your signature that you have a SW150. What's your opinion of it vis-a-vis PSB sub?

Thanks again.

saj2001ind, I bought it from US and for about $650 or so.

Raghav, your setup(s) sure sounds interesting. You seem to be running BS speakers with 1602. Do you think FS ones (9.5 or say Image T5) would work with it?

Raghav, your setup(s) sure sounds interesting. You seem to be running BS speakers with 1602. Do you think FS ones (9.5 or say Image T5) would work with it?

that seems gr8 price, any idea if this can be bought in india online somewhere ?

Should not be an issue, but have never tested or demoed them with FS

FS will not go smooth with ur avr, I myself hold sr301 and they match very well with 9.1 series. u may take a chance with 9.2 max and not more than that.
pl reserve some power on avr side for better performer and don't go for bigger FS and all. 9.1 will be ok for fairly sized room to watch both movie and music. SW150 no doubt is lovely baby to own.....

that seems gr8 price, any idea if this can be bought in india online somewhere ?
I am not sure. I do remember checking with Danny (@Bass'n'Treble) a while back, and he didn't have it. Other options that I have seen forum members discuss in distant past are 20North and ebay global buy. More recently, I think Amazon has started global shipping as well. If you do decide to try any of these routes, I'd appreciate if you can share your experience.

Should not be an issue, but have never tested or demoed them with FS

FS will not go smooth with ur avr, I myself hold sr301 and they match very well with 9.1 series. u may take a chance with 9.2 max and not more than that.
pl reserve some power on avr side for better performer and don't go for bigger FS and all. 9.1 will be ok for fairly sized room to watch both movie and music. SW150 no doubt is lovely baby to own.....

I'll try to audition and see how FS speakers turn out, but looks like BS speakers just might be a better (and safer) bet. I can probably move them to the back (or to a separate music system) if I decide to buy FS later.

btw any idea where I can get good quality 220v to 110v convertors in Delhi? say 500+w ones. I got a couple from US but am scared what-if they conk off. Any branded ones out there?

Raghav,

Do you mind sharing where you purchased the NR1602/1601 from? was it from Mumbai? if yes, could you please share the dealer name and for how much?

I would be travelling to Mumbai soon and would want to take that AVR.

Neo.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back