Speakers for Marantz Sr7012

manav24

HI Folks,

I have bought Marantz Sr7012 and will receive it in next few days ,now I am requesting suggestions for upgrading speakers , currently using Wharfedale225 along with tiny Satellites that came with yht299, no sub, I need fronts and center with a good sub for now and move the wharfedale 225 to surrounds may be, My room is 20 (L) x14 (W) X 9(H), My Budget is around 1.5-2 lac for these three, I don't mind any brand or type as long as they are more neutral and not very bright, I like wharfedale 225 sound but I want to keep all options open, I will finalize 3-4 speakers and accordingly try auditioning them, also my use is 50-50 for movies and music and source is android box and TV (netflix)

Last edited:
Within this budget you will get top notch speakers in the market. Recently one of FM purchased Tannoy xt8f and very happy with performance. I will suggest Monitor Audio Silver and Bronze series, Paradigm Monitor series like 9/11, B&W 600 Series, KEF Q900, Klispch etc . You can access top speakers of almost all brands. Keep patience , get information and audition more. Most of the speakers work best with Marantz SR series AVR.

I like wharfedale 225 sound

If you like Wharfedale 225, then get center & surrounds from the same series.. And get any dual subs of your liking..

You can re-use the Yamaha full range satellite's for height speakers.. Think, they have mounting capability, so should be easier to mount on ceiling..

This way you complete 5.2.4 set-up..

If you like Wharfedale 225, then get center & surrounds from the same series.. And get any dual subs of your liking..

You can re-use the Yamaha full range satellite's for height speakers.. Think, they have mounting capability, so should be easier to mount on ceiling..

This way you complete 5.2.4 set-up..
thanks for the suggestion, I like WD 225 may be cos I have not auditioned any other speaker till now and may be my liking will change once I hear full spectrum of speaker, so Don't want to stick with wharfedale and want to keep options open and looking for better options to go with marantz (warm receiver)

Yamaha satellite do have mounting capability but will they be able to do justice to the power available? I have been using them for almost 6 years now and I kind off bored with them.

Within this budget you will get top notch speakers in the market. Recently one of FM purchased Tannoy xt8f and very happy with performance. I will suggest Monitor Audio Silver and Bronze series, Paradigm Monitor series like 9/11, B&W 600 Series, KEF Q900, Klispch etc . You can access top speakers of almost all brands. Keep patience , get information and audition more. Most of the speakers work best with Marantz SR series AVR.
Thanks for recommendations, I prefer BS with sub over FS actually.

so Don't want to stick with wharfedale and want to keep options open and looking for better options to go with marantz (warm receiver)

Sure.. Understand that.. Take a demo of all the aval brands in your city..

Yamaha satellite do have mounting capability but will they be able to do justice to the power available?

It should.. If it can be powered by an entry level AVR, it should work fine with top of the line AVR too..

I have been using them for almost 6 years now and I kind off bored with them.

The suggestion to re-use Yamaha satellites was on the conservative side as you may need to use you full budget towards a complete new 3.1/2 set-up.. If you would have remaining budget, then consider in-ceiling speakers too from the same brand as your fronts..

-As you have a high end AVR. You can change to sound to your preference. Like warm /neutral/ bright.

-dual subs are required for even bass in the room IMO. Go dual if many people watch movies and if they care for the bass.
I think only you would care for good bass.. so you
Can take the best seat.
Sometimes dual subs lead to cancellation and decrease in Max spl.

-As you have a high end AVR. You can change to sound to your preference. Like warm /neutral/ bright.

-dual subs are required for even bass in the room IMO. Go dual if many people watch movies and if they care for the bass.
I think only you would care for good bass.. so you
Can take the best seat.
Sometimes dual subs lead to cancellation and decrease in Max spl.
It will be only me and my wife who will be watching movies/music so I don't think dual sub is needed as much.

Congrats on SR7012! 14' width is a blessing. Not many builders are generous in providing so much width.
I would suggest that you dispose off wharfedales and buy all speakers from one brand and one series. If you are keen on WD, why not audition the higher version @ Hifimart showroom? Jade and Reva have good reviews and hifimart prices are almost par with prices in England. The only reason why I suggest this is because you have an elite AVR: so why compromise on timbre matching by mix n match of brands?

Congrats on SR7012! 14' width is a blessing. Not many builders are generous in providing so much width.
I would suggest that you dispose off wharfedales and buy all speakers from one brand and one series. If you are keen on WD, why not audition the higher version @ Hifimart showroom? Jade and Reva have good reviews and hifimart prices are almost par with prices in England. The only reason why I suggest this is because you have an elite AVR: so why compromise on timbre matching by mix n match of brands?

Thanks, its a house so 14' is common I suppose, I think hifimart is based in Mumbai and I am near Delhi , but I will certainly try to audition some speakers and will probably sell the wharfedale 225, I am in no rush and can gradually upgrade if budget doesn't allow me to right now.

If you are not interested in big floor standing speakers than go for small footprint floor standing speakers which are better than bookshelf. Bookshelf need stand for optimum performance which increases the over all cost. Major top brands have at least one speakers with this profile like Monitor Audio Bronze 5, Dali Zenser 5, KEF Q500 work best with good subwoofer. Entire 5.1 set may cost you upto 200-250K and performance at par with that of full fledged speakers.

I have sSound foundation Nexus speaker stands which I bought from Hifimart which I am currently using for wd 225 so that is not an issue.

how are monitor audio bronze 6 with Marantz avr? it has a good price on hifimart as compared to other places? along with Monitor bronze center, alos a rhytmix L12r sub or may be SVS2000SB/PB

Audition is the key to know the actual potential of the speakers. Monitor Audio Bronze 6 is one of the finest speakers within the budget of 100K. They have very good sound stage with tight and focus Center image. They are chrisp, clear and detailed in high frequencies. Deep and powerful in low end with very good vocals. Will go very well with Marantz. I have audition them with Marantz SR6012 and comb seems to be more detail and subtle.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back