Speakers for music with HT Amp - Onkyo 605

RAC

I wish to buy a pair of speaker for music. I do not have a dedicated music system and the speakers with be amplified by my HT amplifier - Onkyo 605. I plan to use the Zone 2 function whenever I want to play music instead of movies.

My budget is around 20-25K. I listen to all genres of music, both English and Hindi. The primary source with be my iPod touch and I will use my DVD player for the CD's.
How much ever I like punchy bass while listening to music in my car, I would prefer to move towards purer/neutral sound in this small budget. And speakers is my first move. Maybe Amp and CDP will follow.

My list is as below:
Usher 520
Wharfedale 9.2
Norge??
Dali Lektor

I have even read about members buying Norge 2060 + WD 9.2 setup for around 23K and are quite happy with the sound the combo produces. This falls in my budget.

How about floorstanders like:
Wharfedale 9.5

Considering the Onkyo amplifier, should I go in for a bookshelf or can it also power a floorstander like Wharfedale 9.5. I do have the tendency to listen to the music at high volume and given my liking for chest thumping bass, my greed for a floorstander.

Ps: I am mentioning Wharfedale 9 series instead of 10, since the review on the forum seem to lean towards 9 series instead of the new 10 series.

I m using Tannoy F1 with ONK & it gives better sound.
Dali is good opt for music.Wharf 10 can match better than 9 series.

Onkyos are bad musically and I have come to learn about this truth the hard way. Onkyo should be your temporary choice for music unless and until you upgrade to something better or buy a separate Stereo amp. Another option could be to have a separate DAC as in my case which should improve the performance musically to some extent.
Now to plan out for speakers you should also consider the future prospects of upgrading your setup and keeping that in mind you decide on speakers.
With Onkyo you wouldn't go wrong with Wharfedales as Spiro suggested since they tend to balance out the extra bit of brightness in the said amp.
Another options are Jamo C series speakers. Try them out and then find out for yourself, but don't buy any of them unless and until you have auditioned each one of them or even any of the brands you have mentioned with your AVR since your ears are the best judge of the SQ you want.

Now to plan out for speakers you should also consider the future prospects of upgrading your setup and keeping that in mind you decide on speakers....
.....but don't buy any of them unless and until you have auditioned each one of them or even any of the brands you have mentioned with your AVR since your ears are the best judge of the SQ you want.

-- ditto --

You could look at PSB Image B25 also.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back